Sega Silver Victory

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
cait001

Sega Silver Victory

Post by cait001 »

This is for sale near me in Canada in case anyone has been looking for one. $575 CAD =~ $333 UKP

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectible ... 1545002841
Attachments
Sega silver victory.jpg
malcymal

Re: Sega Silver Victory?

Post by malcymal »

I owned one of these, the Victory without the header box. It's a Sega Windsor and I paid 75 quid for it in a lot better condition than that. The thing I didn't like about it was it actually didn't depict the HMS Victory, but more of a Mary Rose, a tudor ship from the 1500s heading up the Thames where the Tower Bridge (depicted on the belly glass) hadn't even been built. It was constantly playing up as it had an electric coin mech and solenoids.
grains

Post by grains »

I have just purchased a Sega Victory hopefully to repair & restore. It also has the Silver Victory top box but that's detached at the moment.
This is the first Windsor type cabinet that I've owned and I can see it's missing a few parts but I'm surprised how heavy it is, even without the top box.

7MU9tAgl.jpg

The plan is to remove the mech and start work on the case to remove the components so I can get it blasted and powder coated.
Please could anyone advise if the mech is supposed slide out on rails on this type of cabinet? I have undone the 2 front catches at the base and it seems to be free on the left side but jammed pretty solid on the right. Before I apply some gentle persuasion with the rubber mallet, are there any further catches or locks that I am missing which secures the mech in place?
Thanks
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I bought one of these in 1992.
If I remember corruptly apart from the securing lugs there's also a rigid plug, probably built into the mech chassis that needs to line up with its opposite number. They are multi pin and need to fit perfectly, check that first.

BP :!?!:
grains

Post by grains »

Well, I had an interesting puzzle trying to remove the mech.
Opening the spring loaded catches at the front of the base plate I was expecting the mech to slide out freely but it was still held solid on one side.
In the end I resorted to unscrewing the latch plates from the base of the mech and hey presto the mech slid out no problem at all.
Seem's strange as the even with the latches open the mech appears to be clamped in place by the u shaped bracket on the front of the latch plate?
Anyway here are few photo's of mech removed from the case. I think it is missing the coin tube and possibly the reject button from the top of the coin mech but would be greatful if anyone can advise if there are other parts that I will need to source - Thank you.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I like these Windsors. I've had several and they scrub up nice. My guess is you could make a good job of this machine without spending out loads of cash on blasting and powder coating.

The question about missing parts boils down to "was it working ok before you removed it from the case". The electrics will be a mystery until you have tested them out. The coin tube is easy to replace and the coin acceptor is a late style and pretty indestructible, but may have a magnet in it that will trap many of the later 1p coins. Keep us informed.
Attachments
$(KGrHqR,!i!E4)I2lUDgBOYR2qKepw~~60_12.JPG
buckingham.jpg
finished 1aa.jpg
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Get some switch cleaner in readiness for the micro switches. I think from memory, there are two: one on the right side of mech that allows the anvil to engage so you can pull handle and spin reels, and one on the left for end of play. These switches work in unison; they also light up the insert coin and coin accepted light in the top glass. I had one exactly the same as this, and it took some working out, and it was only the micro switches that were dirty. Gave it a good spray and it all cooked into life. I used Servisol switch cleaner, but plenty of other makes out there that will do the same thing.
grains

Post by grains »

Well its been a few months and I've finally got round to stripping down the Windsor project.
It really was pretty rusty & corroded around the case, front door and top box and I couldn't get the back off the top box to separate it but remembered Badpenny's suggestion of applying diesel, brushed it on liberally and 24 hours later it finally came apart.
It's off to be blasted and powder coated in the next few days but as I was straightening out the area which engages the door lock I noticed the blue finish was flaking off in large patches to reveal a dark grey hammer finish underneath on the case.
Just wondering if the blue or dark grey is the correct colour for the case when I get it powder coated?
Looking to get the front door and top box trim, cash tray and arm powder coated in a contrasting colour as the cost of chroming is likely to be too expensive.
Thanks
Attachments
Gn8YGy1l.jpg
Jpm776kl.jpg
axns4oUl.jpg
tallstory

Re: Sega Silver Victory

Post by tallstory »

There is a chrome effect powder coat. I haven't used it but it might be worth discussing it with your powder coating guys. I guess it would be much cheaper than real chroming. I've put a link to it below.
https://www.frost.co.uk/eastwood-extrem ... ting-8-oz/
grains

Re: Sega Silver Victory

Post by grains »

Thanks tallstory I have seen some chrome effect powders and they work really nicely if the metal has not been too badly pitted.
I will order some to use and fingers crossed the door and rusty parts come out reasonably smooth after the blasting.
Otherwise it might have to be a ripple finish to hide the imperfections.