Cross head screws

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
tallstory

Cross head screws

Post by tallstory »

I have recently bought a Ruffler and Walker 'Many Happy Returns' Allwin. On the front panel and inside it has a mixture of slotted and crosshead screws and initially I thought I would replace the crossheads. But then I saw a photo of another MHR machine that was the same. Now I know that Phillips screws were introduced in the 1930s but I don't think they were widely adopted in the UK until the late 1960s / early 1970s. So I am unsure whether the crosshead screws are original or not and I am turning to the sages of the forum for advice. To replace or not to replace, that is the question?
treefrog

Re: Cross head screws

Post by treefrog »

Yes, R&W used cross head or Phillips, never knew difference, one of the few manufacturers that did. I am like you and remove all modern fittings from bad restorations, but these sound right.

I only realised recently Sega used crossheads on some machines, but have not seen on most.
brigham

Post by brigham »

'Crosshead' is just a generic name for the Phillips-style screw-head, Phillips being the name of the inventor of the most prolific type.
'Squarehead' is sometimes used for the Robertson type, eh?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

And then there's Pozidriv...
JP Thompson designed and patented the 'Phillips' in 1933 and sold it to the Phillips Screw Company, who improved its profile and introduced it to the market in 1936/37.
And yes, they're standard on Ruffler & Walker allwins.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Thanks guys. I was beginning to think they were original but it's good to have some confirmation. I didn't think such early machines had them so I am learning something new each day. !SMARTY!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Another seeming anachronism - the mech boards on R&W multi-ball allwins are sometimes made of chipboard. !OMFG!
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Yep mine has a chipboard mech board. Someone decided to cover it in a thick layer of varnish, perhaps to stop flakes falling into the works? Several other great bodges are emerging like over-extended springs, rusty nails and screws as movement stops. Still it manages to work but I won't leave it alone because I will love sorting it all out. Mad eh? !OMFG!