When you gotta go...

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
roger

When you gotta go...

Post by roger »

Current post,"Collector Connector Sales", started life with a discussion of Steve Hunt Auctions...Somehow, the post switched the focus to toilet paper.
Similarly, some time ago, there was an informative posting on "Essex Flat Racer". This post ended up with a discussion of Australian Flush Toilets.
This fixation on toilets and toilet paper reminds me of the time when public toilets were fitted with coin-operated doors and coin-operated toilet paper dispensers.

It was a difficult time for people without the proper change or those suffering from diarrhea....... !!ESCAPE!!

ROGER
moonriver

Re: When you gotta go...

Post by moonriver »

Do you ever read any responses to your posts Roger? ...........Just wondering
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

I remember coin operated toilet doors ...but not the coin operated paper dispensers...surely not
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

What i remember about those toilet doors was the fierce spring on them, they were taking no chances on someone slipping in for free at the changeover '!'
alan57

Post by alan57 »

I bought this unused penny lock many moons ago with the intention of fitting onto the downstairs loo door, but never got round to fitting it.
Attachments
s-l1600-2.jpg
pennymachines

Post by pennymachines »

alan57 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:16 pm I bought this unused penny lock many moons ago with the intention of fitting onto the downstairs loo door, but never got round to fitting it.
That's a very nice example, and so unusual to find in unused condition.
roger wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:50 pm This fixation on toilets and toilet paper reminds me of the time when public toilets were fitted with coin-operated doors and coin-operated toilet paper dispensers.
It's a subject we've neglected...
livinginthepast wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:01 am I remember coin operated toilet doors ...but not the coin operated paper dispensers...surely not
Oh yes... In America at least...

1 cent toilet paper dispenser
1 cent toilet paper dispenser

Toilet paper dispenser
Toilet paper dispenser

The earliest pay toilet ever recorded was installed in 74 AD in Rome. Emperor Titus installed these at bathrooms and bathhouses in order to ease the financial burden resulting from the several wars that Rome was involved in. The toilets, however, did not last. An outcry from Roman citizens and protests caused these toilets to eventually be uninstalled. However new more luxurious pay to use toilets were placed next to common ones in order to make up for their losses.
A Brief History of Pay Toilets in the US

The English stage magician, John Nevil Maskelyne patented the first 'modern' coin-operated toilet door lock in 1894: GB189420360

Patent GB189420360
Patent GB189420360

Maskelyne's Pat coin-op toilet door lock
Maskelyne's Pat coin-op toilet door lock

1911 Maskelyne toilet door lock patent
1911 Maskelyne toilet door lock patent

Advert for Maskelyne's patent coin-operated door lock
Advert for Maskelyne's patent coin-operated door lock

Maskelyne Patent toilet door lock
Maskelyne Patent toilet door lock

'ETAS' is Enoch Tonks & Sons, Temple Works, Temple Bar, Willenhall (locksmith capital of UK).
'CERO' was made by William Tonks, Star Works, 201 Moseley Street, Birmingham.

William Tonks 'Cero' advert
William Tonks 'Cero' advert

See also: PWA toilet locks flyer
LocWil Paper Hand Towels Vending Machine

Some classics:
Attachments
Howard's Patent 15876/12
Howard's Patent 15876/12
Alfred Brown & Co., Birmingham
Alfred Brown & Co., Birmingham
Parker, Winder & Achurch Ltd., Birmingham
Parker, Winder & Achurch Ltd., Birmingham
Lockerbie & Wilkinson Ltd., Tipton
Gibbons, Wolverhampton
Gibbons, Wolverhampton
ETAS No. 5
ETAS No. 5
ETAS No. 11
ETAS No. 11
CERO
CERO
roger

Post by roger »

"moonriver" asked if i ever respond to questions on my posts.....in short, i'm not into modern technology . i still own a black and white tv............never owned a cell phone , or one of those things called zooming, and CERTAINLY, not one of those cars that drives itself.
frequently, my posts get all screwed up and mr. P and our moderators have to come to the rescue. In summary ,as to where
my posts ended up...........your guess is as good as mine...........ROGER
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Well Done Roger! you rather answered your own question.
roger

Post by roger »

Thanks to Mr. P. we learned that the Romans invented the coin-op Toilet in the year 74 AD............

I have adjusted Roman coinage for inflation and calculate that it would cost over one million dollars to gain access to a modern day CRAPPER.

Surely, there would be a lot of wet pants while feeding all those quarters into the lock. '!' ROGER
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The earliest pay toilet ever recorded was installed in 74 AD in Rome. Emperor Titus
Right date..wrong emperor. Vespasian (Titus father) installed the first pay toilets in 74AD (Titus didn't become emperor till 79AD)
As for Vespasian, his invention lives on in the French word vespasienne—a public urinal.

the first coin-operated pay toilets in the USA were installed by...Walt Disney, he opened the first studio-themed restaurant in California in the 1930's and installed coin-op toilets. Ronald Regan banned pay toilets in California in the 1970's when he was state governor

The most luxurious public toilet in London has to have been the massive underground one in Shepherd Bush Green. this had carved oak toilet doors, hand-made tiles throughout, and solid brass fittings. The urinal cisterns had glass fronts and goldfish living in them (a special flush system stopped the water from draining completely out) . it became more and more dilapidated and closed in the early 60's, It later opened as a snooker hall and is now a restaurant, I have no idea if the foods crap :lol:
sb toilet.jpg