Ball Release Mechanism

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
stephena

Ball Release Mechanism

Post by stephena »

I'm looking at building an allwin machine of some sort so have been intrigued at the information on the forum. I think I've figured out the payout mechanisms but I can't figure out from the pictures I've seen how the ball release works. I can see that a falling coin ultimately lifts a lever to release a ball but I can't figure out how only one ball is released at a time. Can anyone help with a detailed photo?

Many thanks in advance
slotalot

Re: Ball Release Mechanism

Post by slotalot »

Hi Stephena, I hope this photo is of help in your quest to build your own Allwin :D It shows how a basic one ball machine works - most Allwins only have one ball. Don't forget to keep us all up to date with your project, regards Stuart. :tarah:
PS. CLICK ON PHOTO TO MAKE IT BIGGER !THUMBS!
Attachments
ALLWIN MECH.jpg
stephena

Post by stephena »

Thanks Stuart

That has just made my life a whole load easier just having the single ball.

What about if you want to release a ball at the top of a cabinet is the easiest way to have a tube of balls and have a mechanism like a cog to push one in from the bottom so it pushes one out from the top?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It may not be the easiest, but something along those lines is probably the most satisfactory method for a mechanical wall machine. Bryan's ball catching games employ it to great effect - the Payramid patent on this page describes how.

Many other systems have been used though. On German Clown catchers, the ball is swept up in a cradle attached to a long arm. On early Pickwick type games, it's fired to the top with a separate sprung trigger arrangement. On Steer-a-Ball games (and Bryan's Worlborl), it's carried up in pockets around the perimeter of a large cast wheel. On Bryan's All Sport, balls are swept up a curved channel by a metal finger... No doubt there are other ways.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

As PennyMachines says "On German Clown catchers, the ball is swept up in a cradle attached to a long arm." I have found you some photos of the system of ball lift, Stuart :tarah:
Attachments
catcher arm.jpg
catcher1.jpg
catcher1.jpg (72.79 KiB) Viewed 5590 times
christopheb

Post by christopheb »

I know that this thread is very old, but I thought I'd post here rather than creating a new post.
stephena wrote:What about if you want to release a ball at the top of a cabinet is the easiest way to have a tube of balls and have a mechanism like a cog to push one in from the bottom so it pushes one out from the top?
I too have been thinking about building a machine myself for a long while, and was looking for ways to bring the ball to the top of the cabinet. I own different machines which use the different techniques described here (2 clown catchers, one with the curved arm lift; one with a trigger which shoots the ball straight to the top; and an allwin with the classic hammer which shoots the ball in the spiral).

I was trying to build something using the tube full of balls mechanism (easier and requires less space). Have found this website and video which I think could be helpful to anyone who wants to try this technique :

I know it's not the exact technique used on the Payramid or the various Tivoli patents, but this seems easy enough to implement & I think it could do the job, no ?. Very few moving parts. Just arrange for the inserted coin to release a lever which would unlock the wheel and would let it be turned 1 full turn by the user before being locked again (something similar to the vertical arm payout technique used on allwins)....