Allwin replica for an RAF museum

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
classicgambler

Re: Allwin replica for an RAF museum

Post by classicgambler »

Oh, and the two shelves that are in there - I have cut them down to half the size. Can anyone spot the old penny?
JC

Post by JC »

So where did you get the ball track from?............just curious.
classicgambler

Post by classicgambler »

A friend of mine who sorts out the metal work at the museum has kindly offered to make them for me for a pint and made out of brass and then coated with a chrome spray. I am trying to do it as cheap as possible at the moment.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'm reminded of a slottie who years ago having been on the original Jorvik Centre experience where they started by taking you backwards through time tried to buy the A.M.I. “Continental” Jukebox on display.
When they came to rebuild the ride they got back to him asking if he still wanted it.
After hurtling around raising cash and getting a van he turned up to find it was a mock up made out of egg cases and polystyrene or some such.

If you are reading this and it's your story I apologise if I've mangled it!

I wonder how long before somebody sends a photo of the rare, never seen before allwin he's spotted at the RAF museum down in Cornwall and a whole new thread starts up pondering who's stable it sprang from?
classicgambler

Post by classicgambler »

badpenny wrote:I wonder how long before somebody sends a photo of the rare, never seen before allwin he's spotted at the RAF museum down in Cornwall and a whole new thread starts up pondering who's stable it sprang from?
The one I am making is only a replica and cannot be used. There are no internal organs to it and it cannot play. It is only for a show-piece that will be put on a wall in an exhibited pub that was in the late '30s and early '40s. Well, at least if any one does take a photo of it and say "have you guys seen this - it is a rare machine", I can or we can say "ah, I know this one - it was made by one of our members as a shelf piece and a none worker".
classicgambler

Post by classicgambler »

badpenny wrote:a mock up made out of egg cases and polystyrene or some such.
and to be frank it is NOT made out of any of the above products. I have paid out some money for this to be built and put some effort and time to make this.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Which is why it looks the part, quality will always out!
classicgambler

Post by classicgambler »

Ooooo my ball track has finally arrived - now it's time to finish this project off. Please watch this space !!CHEERS!!
classicgambler

Post by classicgambler »

Well, here is the ball track on. I used those split pins that were advised to me, and they work a treat but, before I go ahead and put the backflash on, is this the sort that they would have played back in the late '30s and early '40s? I have used the Cresta Run version with the side win holes. Anyway, here is the finished backflash.
Attachments
201_4533.JPG
201_4532.JPG
classicgambler

Post by classicgambler »

Oh, I almost forgot the holes - the three of them. Better do them now, before I forget. :woops:
classicgambler

Post by classicgambler »

Well guys, here is the finished product - an allwin 1938-1940s style machine. I am very chuffed to bits on this one, as I have never done anything like this before. I will have to tweek it up a bit though with the right colors on the Cresta Run sign and the ball is a bit on the small side, but all in all everything is finished, so would you think this will pass as a museum piece ???
Attachments
201_4546.JPG
201_4547.JPG
201_4548.JPG
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Well done classicgambler. !!CHEERS!!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Nothing wrong with that !THUMBS! Make sure we get a photo of it when it's in the museum set... :tarah:
classicgambler

Post by classicgambler »

I sure will. At the moment the area is getting some maintenance done ready for Easter but, as soon as it goes up on the wall, I will take photos of it in its place !!CHEERS!!
classicgambler

Post by classicgambler »

Well guys, I presented the replica to the museum owners and I can tell you that they REALLY loved it and they even thought that it was a real one too. They have given me the responsibility to place it anywhere I like in the mock up pub, so I have placed it on the wall near the bar with a mannequin of a WWII RAF pilot in uniform playing it. I will take some photos very soon so you can all see for yourselves !!YIPPEE!! !!YIPPEE!! !!YABBADABBA!! !!YABBADABBA!!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Well done that man!

Does the RAF still do things by numbers classicgambler, if so how will you fix it on the wall
will it be 'UP - two - three, HOLD - two - three, FIX - two - three, DOWN - two - three'

(apologies to those who have never encountered service life as this may be too esoteric)
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

The sad thing is this mock-up actually looks a lot better then a number of real machines I've seen over the years that have been re-built or "restored". Great job. Now imagine the accomplishment if you build a working version!?
classicgambler

Post by classicgambler »

Thank you very much for the compliment! Yes, I have got my head into the workings of them at the moment, figuring out how I can do this but with great folks on here and past posts and projects I will be able to have a go at them, but for now I am going to build some more of them, then at least I have a few to have a go at.