Scrap metal allwin and other projects

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: scrap metal allwin the video

Post by badpenny »

Well done you.
Sounds the thing, and looks entertaining.

You'll probably get buckets of advice now telling you how to avoid the roll back and forth past the Lose Hole, but I think it's all part of its appeal especially the tap on the front to make it fall down the hole **xXx**

The best bit was the second win followed by DUNK as it jumped out the back and hid inside somewhere.

Badpenny
jonathans257

Up to speed

Post by jonathans257 »

Topic moved and merged - Site Admin.

Dear all, my first project was the scrap metal allwin and I did relent and tidy it up just a little, but not enough to spoil its scrappish charms with groans rattles and clonks. I will post a picture for further amusement.

2nd project - I was very fortunate to buy the last ever remaining Win a Mint allwin kit from someone very known to all of us. It is now fully assembled and functioning with an added home-made coin chute made from a length of D rail, which is a mounting steel rail used in electrical panel building for mounting contractors and overloads, etc. In other words, half-inched from work, but just the job for coin transportation. Ah yes, I still have to build the cabinet which I've drawn and dimensioned up but finding suitable oak is not easy and don't want to go down the B and Q pine board route. Pictures to follow shortly - and finally, project 3, which is now overlapping with 2, will be a copy of a Bell Fruit Cascade, completely scratch built. This is in the stage of being researched and photo collection being put together plans and profiles for parts I will take from photos scaled up to get patterns to produce a machine running on 10 pence and a smaller machine running on 5ps. I found good information and pictures of parts on a German website which was referred by someone on this forum, so excellent help from you already . . . . . . . .

I've just realized I haven't mentioned my very very first - it is a Jubilee bandit called Tankards and Sevens which I rebuilt, but that's for another day. Till then, "all the Georgey".
Last edited by jonathans257 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Up to speed

Post by badpenny »

Superb ...........

Pictures? Photos? and Piccies? and Pictures? Photos? and Piccies? and Pictures? Photos? and Piccies? and Pictures? Photos? and Piccies? and Pictures? Photos? and Piccies? and Pictures? Photos? and Piccies? and Pictures? Photos? and Piccies? and Pictures? Photos? and Piccies? and Pictures? Photos? and Piccies?

I for one would like to see what all these look like.

BP
jonathans257

Re: Up to speed

Post by jonathans257 »

As requested, a few pics, including homemade coin chute for Win a Mint and new case for Jubilee bandit. The original was a walnut laminate with most of the wood turned to dust courtesy of woodworm. When I collected this machine, it swayed from side to side as I picked it up and placed it in the boot quickly, as it was in danger of falling apart under its own weight, but 50 pound well spent I think. Does anyone know what it might be roughly worth or I wouldn't mind swapping it for an unrestored allwin in need of a rebuild.
20130206_121653.jpg

20130206_121852.jpg

20130206_122148.jpg

20130206_121525.jpg
20130206_121525.jpg (31.67 KiB) Viewed 5026 times

20130206_121550.jpg
20130206_121550.jpg (37.99 KiB) Viewed 5026 times

20130206_121559.jpg

20130206_121438.jpg

20130206_121118.jpg

JC

Re: Scrap metal allwin and other projects

Post by JC »

May I be the first to congratulate you on finishing your Win a Mint (especially as it was me who sold you the kit)!

!THUMBS! !THUMBS! !THUMBS!

I'd love to see a picture of the payout mechanism, and perhaps a brief explanation of how it works..............'cos I could never work it out!

Jerry
jonathans257

Post by jonathans257 »

Hello J,
Yes, a memorable day for me. Are you still in the land of the Rolling Stones... my old home town? Yes, wonderfully simple mechanism that converts one horizontal movement into another but changes it through 90 degrees without using any gears, worms, crowns, pinions or levers - just two angled slots and brass bushes, but to explain it is tricky, so I'll take some photos.
C is the compartment holding the mints. Lever A will be connected to the horizontal bar that would pull out the coin slide on a normal coin payout machine. Compartment C will be inline with the bottom of the mint rack and the whole prize mechanism will be mounted into machine as you see it.
C is the compartment holding the mints. Lever A will be connected to the horizontal bar that would pull out the coin slide on a normal coin payout machine. Compartment C will be inline with the bottom of the mint rack and the whole prize mechanism will be mounted into machine as you see it.

After payout bar is operated. Prize in compartment C has now moved to allow mints to fall down into payout chute.
After payout bar is operated. Prize in compartment C has now moved to allow mints to fall down into payout chute.

Finally, the rear view, showing the mechanism slots.
Finally, the rear view, showing the mechanism slots.

The machine. You can see the bottom of the mint rack and, to the right, the horizontal bar that connects the payout knob to the prize mechanism. Can't fit this until I've built the cabinet.
The machine. You can see the bottom of the mint rack and, to the right, the horizontal bar that connects the payout knob to the prize mechanism. Can't fit this until I've built the cabinet.

Last edited by jonathans257 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
JC

Post by JC »

Ah-ha !DOH! so it's mounted 90 deg. from the way I imagined. All makes sense now (of course, I knew that all along) :oops: .
By the way, I like the coin chute made from DIN rail - good idea. However, I'm not entirely sure it's necessary, and I do see one potential problem. It seems to be very long, so long that it may protrude into the cash compartment. That's fine...........until you try to open the door. You'll need to ensure that the coin chute doesn't protrude below the bottom of the main door (but I guess you've already thought of that).

Keep up the good work.

P.S. I'll mention you to Mick and Keith next time I bump into them in the town.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Jonathans257 wrote:wonderfully simple mechanism that converts one horizontal movement into another but changes it through 90 degrees without using any gears
Ruffler & Walker (Corteen) used the same 90 degree slide method in their sweety allwins to deliver a choc bar, the mech in the photo has been 'sleeved' for the modern Kit Kat bar.
Attachments
R&Wslide.jpg
jonathans257

Post by jonathans257 »

Ah, that's interesting. Looks very well engineered with heavier gauge steel construction, for the linkages and parts of the mechanism. Looks more complicated than my machine. I wonder if it does more than pay out a Kit Kat. Maybe returns the coin or gives a free ball as well?
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Hi jonathans257, yes Corteen were very well made machines, these sweety allwins can be adjusted to either return the ball for free play or retain the ball ready for next penny inserted, the penny was always retained and dropped straight into the money box below - you can just see the vertical chute and hole in the wood on the left of the photo.