Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
JC

Automatic Palmistry

Postby JC » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:53 am

I was talking with a slottie friend (and fellow forum member) a couple of days ago about my latest project, so thought I'd chart its progress here. It is being built purely as an operating machine, and is not intended to be an accurate reproduction of any particular model (although clearly influenced by the classic 1930s Ahrens machines).
The picture below shows the basic shell built over a couple of days in October. Unfortunately, work came to a more or less grinding halt during November, as I was otherwise occupied with the Coventry auction. There has been little progress since, but I'll update over the coming weeks (or months - depending on how long it takes).

Jerry
Palmistry 1.jpg

gameswat

Re: Automatic Palmistry

Postby gameswat » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:24 am

Jerry, there is a simple and very effective way to make the hand piece rather than using the pins with roller underneath like Ahrens and many others did. The US made machines from the 30's or 40's called Mystic Pen have a similar hand casting with drilled holes but just a blower motor underneath, and the effect is fantastic! I restored one of these years ago with missing motor and was able to find a replacement that worked really well. Actually feels like pins are touching your hand.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:05 am

.......... and doubles as a hand dryer. :cool:

JC

Postby JC » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:25 am

Thanks for the info Gameswat. I'm familiar with the American machines, a sort of cross between a Palmistry and a Green Ray, but didn't know they had blowers (presumably operating at fairly high pressure)? I have a Wizard's Pen down at Brighton, on loan from another operator (currently not working). That just has a red lightbulb shining through the holes in the plate. When I get a chance, I'll check to see if there is any evidence that there was ever a blower in there.
For ease of construction, I was going to go down the lightbulb route, although I've dragged myself into the 21st Century by using six LED strips running off a 3 channel chaser to give a 'scanning' effect. I'll give it some thought, and see if I can also incorporate some sort of blower - although to be honest, I need to keep it as simple as possible, and get it finished as soon as possible!

JC

Postby JC » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:47 am

Well, there was some progress in December, although the Christmas and New Year festivities have brought the project to another grinding halt. Anyway, the case is now more or less finished and has had its first coat of primer. I've also painted the inside black. The bottom door and top door frame are also more or less finished. There is some touching-up to do in places, and then the case will get its second coat of primer. There is also some work to do on the sloping front before than is stained.
I now need to start thinking about the 'works' !!UHOH!!
Palmistry 2.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:53 pm

I'm sure you could find an unemployed, underfed student of chiromancy willing to sit inside for half the takings. ;-)

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Provide a bucket and I'll do it for a quarter ........... !THUMBS!

JC

Postby JC » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:43 pm

Provide a bucket........
To turn upside down and sit on.......right? Please don't say it was for any other use :shock:

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:51 pm

If I'm sitting hidden inside that cabinet all day ...... then I'm going to need to carry my lunch in something.

JC

Postby JC » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:02 pm

Well, there was some considerable progress in January and early Feb. (before the storm) - in fact, looking back I'm amazed how much I did actually get done. Here are some pictures of the card mechanism, which dispenses 'criss-cross' cards. This system tends to be more reliable than thicker push-out cards.
Palmist card carousel.jpg
Palmist card mechanism 1.jpg
Palmist card mechanism 2.jpg