Beachcomber build

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
slotsoffun

Re: Beachcomber build

Post by slotsoffun »

Loving this thread... just hope we get to see the "How it really works" as a conclusion!!!! Come on, someone somewhere must have the answer, even some pics of the insides.
kingchristo

Post by kingchristo »

I'm still trying to work on it. I have found out there is a pin that goes right through that holds the penny. Just have to work out how the flap works.
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Just another thought; I wonder if it could it be this simple?

Just a quick, poor quality, drawing to help with the description. It does not show the playing surface board so the coin stop is on the play side and the balance weight and release arm 'triangle' is on the back joined by a pin through the board. Similarly the coins in play are on the play side and the winning coin shute is on the back.
img011.jpg

The coin stop holds the first penny exactly at its bottom dead centre, the pivot point of the coin stop is exactly on the centre line of the coin column so all the weight is carried by the pivot. A coin dropping down the winning shute rotates the release arm down taking the coin stop with it. The coin stop has only got to move a few degrees and the weight of the coins will push it clear; with the column empty the balance weight resets coin stop for next coin. As the column lengths increase so too does the length the winning coin has to drop so increasing its velocity to move the release arm.
I think the coin stop needs to be pointed as a flat one would offer more resistance and require a bigger rotation of the release lever to free the coins. It would need to be set up fairly accurately to work well. ---- But would it work???

John
kingchristo

Post by kingchristo »

This is great and the diagram makes much sense. I think this is definitely doable but it will need to be calculated exactly like you say, but this is the best answer I have seen. I'll get working on a prototype for this.
Chris.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Very clever John - I think you have it almost exactly. I also recalled the solution this morning and I was going to submit a drawing but didn't get a moment today. Anyway, your diagram is more elegant than mine would have been. I believe the only difference is that Crompton employed flat ended coin stops rather than pointed tips.