Win a Mint - finally it's finished

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
jonathans257

Win a Mint - finally it's finished

Post by jonathans257 »

I was extremely lucky simply because I turned on my computer one day and did my usual searches of spares and parts, and came across an item of such rarity I snapped it up and then found it was possibly the last of its type ever, Thanks Jerry, nice one and a pleasure to have met you that day. Anyway, what I had purchased was the very last set of parts from Nost/machines that had been sold as a kit. I built the mechanics almost straight away but the stumbling block was building the cabinet. Two years later and a house move and an accident involving circular saw blades and body parts found on the end of one's hand coming into actual contact and entwining as one resulting in nasty things being done to me at East Grinstead hospital, I have come through with my finished machine. The glass was found at the end of the garden behind some undergrowth; the mahogony was an old table top dumped at work in Northfleet and a few parts made by me. The journey has been well worth it and given so much pleasure and I hope you all like the pictures.
Attachments
20130206_122148.jpg
20140418_191543.jpg
20140430_022454 (800x450).jpg
20140428_042520 (450x800).jpg
20140427_032911 (450x800).jpg
20140427_032828 (450x800).jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: finally its finished

Post by badpenny »

Well done chap, plenty there to be proud of. !!THUMBSX2!!

However your story sounds as if you are now a Borg. We all suffer some pain for this hobby but you sound as if you've really paid the price there. :oops:

BP
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

A really great looking machine.
You have made a brilliant job of the case considering it is from a re-cycled table top.
I hope the job that the hospital done on your hand looks as good as the machine does.

John
glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

Smashing job. I'm always loving people who make their own machines like me. More to it than you think. Keep it up mate and get the pics posted. !!THUMBSX2!!
arrgee

Re: Finally it's finished

Post by arrgee »

Well done jonathans257, !!THUMBSX2!!
I am sure that Nigel, the original producer of Nostalgic Machines, would be pleased so see this - not sure if he still logs onto this site or if he is still involved with slots?
jonathans257

Re: Finally it's finished

Post by jonathans257 »

Thank you all. It was well worth losing the odd finger. It was stitched back on. They made a good job of it but a very painfull few months. The top part of the frame should have been 4 inches to house the topflash but after many cock ups I was getting down to my last piece of wood so it ended up 2 inches. You measure something, you mark it out, you commit yourself. With saw in hand, you cut, you offer up and lo and behold the whole machine is 4 inches too short. How does that happen? Beats me ha ha ha. My first machine was the scrap metal allwin which served its purpose teaching me everything I needed to know to move on to some real stuff, so your positive comments are greatly appreciated, especially coming from serious profesional collectors and builders such as yourselves. Once again, thanks.

Back to another project now. Already started but put aside for the Win a Mint - Bellfruit Cascade, completely from scratch which will operate on new 10p.
JC

Re: Win a Mint - finally it's finished

Post by JC »

Well done Jonathan - that is a job to be proud of. Sorry it's taken a while to chip in, but as it was me who sold you the kit I thought I should at least make an effort to add my compliments. You've made an excellent job of the case, and for the record, I think your machine actually looks better without the top flash, but then I've never really been a fan of built-in top flashes.
Brilliant job! !!THUMBSX2!!

Jerry
glittering-prize67

Re: Win a Mint - finally it's finished

Post by glittering-prize67 »

Excellent job Jonathan and one I would be proud of. I agree with Jerry - it looks better without a top flash. Fab case. !THUMBS!