Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
luckystar

Gold Mine - Winter project

Postby luckystar » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi all,
Another winter project that I am working on. The new machine will be called The Gold Mine. Been doing bits on this over the last couple of months. Even though it's made out of bits of cardboard and plastic I have found it to be a really great game. The aim of the game is to roll the penny down and get it into one of the three slots. The coin hits a micro switch. This triggers off a solenoid which will give you one old penny which we hope to have gold plated. If they don't want to keep the coin we will exchange it for ten old pennies. The playfield is on pins so if the penny does not reach the target the playfield tips and goes into the cash box.

I hope to have the machine looking like an old gold mine, with a rock face. I may try and get some movement inside. I have already made a mould for the interior. The electrics will be run on 12 volt. There will be a bit of movement on the roll down chute so the player can decide where to send the coin down. The coin hopper will be attached to the door. Let's hope we have a mild winter so I can get on with it.
Pete.
image1a.jpg
image2a.jpg

slotsoffun

Re: Winter project

Postby slotsoffun » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:31 pm

Can't wait to see the finished thing. Good Luck!

luckystar

Postby luckystar » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi all,
Second picture is the mock up of the playfield. I have also made the hopper with a micro switch in. I have made the table out of thin metal, managed to get the balance right. Coins that land on it will slip off into the cash box. Everything seems to work OK. Been busy this week, made the cabinet and a new playfield and a new roll down chute and started to make the payout coin hopper.
Pete.
new-machine-a.jpg

luckystar

Postby luckystar » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:15 am

gold-mine3a.jpg

luckystar

Postby luckystar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:37 pm

image1a.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:50 pm

!THUMBS! !!THUMBSX2!! **xXx**

luckystar

Postby luckystar » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi all,
A bit more work on the cabinet. Got the back wall done, used some poly filler to make a rock face & started to put some studding up for the side walls. Have built a coin hopper and linked it to solenoid, works really well. I am sure it will frighten the kids to death with the noise, like somebody hitting a drum. I think it will less noisy when the inside is finished and the door is on.

luckystar

Postby luckystar » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi All,
A bit more work done on the Gold Mine, I tried using poly filler but it didn't come out right. I tend to make everything too square, more like brick work, so I decided to use resin plaster and a rubber mould. A bit of a nightmare going round the bends - I had to fill the mould up, waited until it started to settle then drained all the surface water off and get the cabinet in such a position that I could press the mould onto the ply wood then place some heavy weights on. I used a sack of pennies - they seemed to do the trick. After an hour you could remove the mould. Towards the front of the cabinet I had to start cutting down the mould to get the bits to fit in. Very pleased with the outcome. It's started to come together well. I am looking for a pay out cup and surround. It needn't be mint as it will be painted. If anybody has got one can you let me know. Haven't decided the colour of the interior as this can wait a bit, give the plaster time to dry out.
GoldMine4a.jpg

luckystar

Postby luckystar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi all, A bit more work done, managed to pick the right colour for the walls. The colour was Beach Sand, also started the wiring that works fine and painted the roll down chute. Haven't done much in the last fortnight as I have had a bad cold. A good few days after Christmas should have it all singing and dancing. Merry Christmas to all our members, Pete.
GoldMine6.jpg

yaksplat

Re: Gold Mine - Winter project

Postby yaksplat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:31 am

Is this based on an existing machine or something of your own making?