My Erie Digger

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
slotalot

My Erie Digger

Post by slotalot »

Hello All, :D This is my Erie Digger (or it was, as I no longer own it). I made this 10 years ago. I made every part from scratch, even the gears which were turned and then filed by hand. It took me well over a year to complete. It works in the same way as the original machine and is constructed from recycled/scrap wood and steel from local businesses. In the early days they used to think I was quite mad when I told them what I was doing, but over the years they have been a good source of materials and spare parts for my projects, and I was after all recycling in the days before it became "cool & pc" to do so.

I am sorry about the quality of the photographs - they were taken in the days before I had a digital camera and have been scanned from poor quality photographs. If you want to see more of my projects please look at my website. A link has been put in the links draw of the Pennymachines Archive (Penny Arcade), or use this web address http://www.slotmachines.bravehost.com to find me on the web. Please enjoy what you see, it's just for fun. %|%
Attachments
Erie1.jpg
Erie2.jpg
Erie3.jpg
Oskargasteiz

Re: My Erie Digger

Post by Oskargasteiz »

Great work! I looks very well made!
Sorry but i don´t understand (my english its not fine) if you build the crane for a very damaged and unrestored orginal crane, or if is a new homemade project.
Thanks
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hello Oskargasteiz. :D Thank you for your question. This is a home-made project and was handmade by me in my own workshop. I am glad you like it, and your English is good. :tarah: Regards Slotalot.
Oskargasteiz

Post by Oskargasteiz »

Wow :-o , It´s really impresive! How many hours do you estimate that you have needed to make it?
Thanks again
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hello again Oskargasteiz. :D Thank you for your email. It took approximately 700 hours work over a 12 month period from start to finish, and a lot of trial and error to get it working as it should, :-? as I had no plans and had to work it all out from three old photographs of a real machine. !!THUMBSX2!! Regards Slotalot.
yaksplat

Post by yaksplat »

Do you have any other high resolution pictures of your digger? I was thinking of doing something like this as well. Did you keep track of part dimensions?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Yaksplat :D , Welcome to the site !!THUMBSX2!! . I made the Erie Digger a long time ago and had to work from some photos that were not much better than the ones you see on the site, it took me ages to work out all the details of how it worked :!?!: and even longer to build it. If you want to have a go at building one you have a better chance than I had, :idea: because if you look in the Penny Machines Archive in the Patents draw you will find some plans that are almost the same as my machine, Look on page 3 at patent No. GB301940 Grab Crane...... Good luck with the project. :tarah:
yaksplat

Post by yaksplat »

Thanks! That will help quite a bit. Time to hone my metalworking skills. :)
longbobongo

Post by longbobongo »

Hi Slotalot,

Don't worry, he is safe with me. :D

You did a great job building this machine. I've had it for a few years now in my collection.

I can't believe you built it all from scratch. You really should be building more machines for us collectors. If you are ever over Leeds way you're welcome to call in and see him again.

Cheers
Craig
Attachments
SL272212 [1024x768].JPG
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Craig :D , that photo takes me back a bit.... Glad you are looking after her. Have you had her long? regards Stuart. :tarah:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Longbobongo wrote:Don't worry, he is safe with me. :D
slotalot wrote:Glad you are looking after her, have you had her long? regards Stuart. :tarah:
I want to know who performed the sex change on her/him. :???:
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I know it's a she because it took me so long to make that my wife nicknamed her Irene Digger and called her my other woman... :cool:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

This machine is having an identity crisis, Male or Female!?!? Great job by the way. Only issue I have is the wonky lettering on the marquee.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Yes fair play, but it was painted freehand over 10 years ago in my pre computer days. Had I done the same thing now I would have most likely gone for pre-cut sticky back letters :oops: , but then again it has its own charm just the way it is. :cool:
jingle

Post by jingle »

stuart would you be up for making another cabinet
for an erie digger
i have an original mech 1926 !!THUMBSX2!!
but looking for someone who knows
all the sizes and what goes were
take a look
Attachments
PICT6446.JPG
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Sounds interesting :D , It’s possible but It depends if you are in a hurry for it :!?!: , Stuart. :tarah:
jingle

Post by jingle »

ok stuart no problem i know what you mean with loads on
i have thru the Win a lot pinball on ebay to give you a chance
good luck
scottie

Post by scottie »

Here's another homemade digger beside the original. Not quite finished yet.
Scottie.
Attachments
67274jc_20.jpg
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

slotalot wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:32 am Sounds interesting :D , It’s possible but It depends if you are in a hurry for it :!?!: , Stuart. :tarah:
Hi Slotalot, I am delighted to report that I am now the new custodian of your amazing Erie Digger. Would be interested to stay in touch to gain any additional info about this. I have tracked its ownership through a number of members and non members alike. It is now in Nottinghamshire with me. I intend to give it a bit of a makeover and then add it to Temples Penny Arcade for people to enjoy playing once again.

I note that at some time or another someone has added a pointer for the digger jib that was not on your original picture?

Regards. Paul
Attachments
0EA756B6-B522-4A44-8833-3347E60B65BD.jpeg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Paul, yes, I made that machine a few years ago now. It has changed hands a few times. I did see it on Ebay last week and wondered who had got it. Looks like the last owner added the pointer and some new signage. Glad it's gone to a good home. I have just finished a countertop card vending fortune teller. I think this will be the last machine I will make now my workshop has gone. I will be putting it up for sale soon if you are interested.