Help with Sailor please.

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
slotalot

Help with Sailor please.

Post by slotalot »

Hello all :D , About five years ago I made a laughing sailor for my grandson Ben, it is a full size machine and it works from a 12volt battery, the sound system I used at the time was contrived from a 30 year old car radio/cassette player and an endless loop tape of the laugh, this worked fine untill a few weeks ago when it started to hum and crackle :!?!: , I have tried to suppress it and checked the wiring etc,but I can not get it to stop, the question is can anyone out there suggest a cheap 12volt digital system with instant start that will play a loud 1 minute recording of the laugh? :tarah:
Attachments
sailor1.JPG
sailor2.JPG
arrgee

Re: Help with Sailor please.

Post by arrgee »

Well done on building your machine Slotalot, looks like quite a few hours of hard work has gone into it.

I'm afraid I do not have any help regarding the electoronics :???: , other than there is a digital sound file of the 'laughing sailor' in the Resources section of this Forum, it was the first file to be posted in Resources on October 12th 2007.

Hope this helps.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Just had another thought Slotalot, what about setting up an MP3 player in the unit, I think the laughing sailor file in Resources is mp3. I have seen buskers on the London underground with such systems strapped to a battery, playing fairly loud music.

Must be someone out there who knows how to set up such a digital system ?

Best of luck,
Arrgee
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Arrgee wrote:Just had another thought Slotalot, what about setting up an MP3 player in the unit, I think the laughing sailor file in Resources is mp3. I have seen buskers on the London underground with such systems strapped to a battery, playing fairly loud music.

Must be someone out there who knows how to set up such a digital system ?

Best of luck,
Arrgee
Hi Arrgee, :D thanks for your input on this, I have found the laugh file in the archive, and as you say an MP3 player would do the job, but so far I have been unable to find one that will start the second the penny is put in the slot, also all the MP3s that I have seen dont have a lot of volume, so I may need an amp as well,and I dont want to spend a lot on one and then take it apart and start soldering wires on to it in case it wont work :oops: , there must be something on the market that is plug and play, I will just have to keep looking. regards slotalot. :tarah: