Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
treefrog

Carfield one arm bandit

Postby treefrog » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:42 pm

Anyone seen one of these and know anything about them? I thought at first when I saw the picture that it was a toy, but it appears to be be a real machine.
carfield.jpg

jonesthegarage

Re: Carfield

Postby jonesthegarage » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Decided to do some digging and see what I could find out about Carfield and apart from this push button conversion in the Arena

https://pennymachines.co.uk/.Arena/Tennants-1.shtml

All I found was the above query from treefrog in 2009.

Well treefrog, all I can tell you is they are full size, here's a picture next to a Buckingham of mine.
carfield plus.jpg
And here's one of the front close up and one of the mech:
carfield.jpg
inside carfield.jpg
A google search has given me the following: Story of the ‘Nudge’

And it appears Carfield Engineers (possibly of Carfield near Sheffield) may have patented the first nudge feature, and it may be that the bandits were only produced for a short time before the advent of the push button fruit. That's my guess anyway, as the mech on mine is actually electro mechanical and instead of using fingers on payout uses light sensors. I am guessing that it is around same time as ACE machines.

E/M? Yorkshire? Is this not Slotalot territory?

treefrog

Re: Carfield one arm bandit

Postby treefrog » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:18 pm

Hey another Carfield....Would be interesting to see more of the mechanism and whether it is a copy of other standard machines like sega etc...

I wonder if the nudge machine is like the Carfield nudger on ebay now.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carfield-70s- ... 19e8473f5c
carf.JPG
carf2.JPG

moonriver

Re: Carfield one arm bandit

Postby moonriver » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:51 pm

Carfield machines were made by Dransfield Novelty Company in Leeds, West Yorkshire. Machine manufacturers and operators of small amusement arcades throughout Yorkshire in the late seventies and throughout the eighties and nineties . They came up with the 'nudge' idea and patented it. One of the biggest Club machine operators in the country and notorious for sending in their salesman to wine and dine the club committees and get the machine rental contract signed !
The reason for their rock solid contract was Dransfield would simply and cheaply upgrade their own machines with a glass change and proms ( they designed and made their own games) instead of buying in the more expensive Barcrest and JPM popular club fruit machines of the time that most of the club members wanted, but once the club was signed up they couldnt get out of it. Some of the Carfield brand games such as their club version TOP CAT or their arcade awp machines CHASE 5 , BOWS AND BELLS, WILD SPIN were great games but hard to find (or keep going) nowadays as early electronics replaced relays in the late seventies

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Carfield

Postby pennymachines » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:24 pm

Jonesthegarage wrote:A google search has given me the following: Story of the ‘Nudge’
I saved a screen grab of this in case it disappears.
carfields.jpg

chriswe3

Carfield One Arm Bandit

Postby chriswe3 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:41 pm

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hello there, apologies if this isn't the right place I post admin..

We are looking to sell our Carfield One Arm Bandit, it's a Super Crown Star model. It's worked for us in the past (with 6ds) but would need an electrician to have a look as it currently shorts when plugged in. Should be a simple job.

Comes with original keys and change box. Anyway thought if post it up here in case anyone was interested.
Link here:

http://bit.ly/MGAMnm
carfield.jpg

jonesthegarage

Re: Carfield One Arm Bandit

Postby jonesthegarage » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:02 am

Welcome,

No this isn't the right place to list it, there is a "Marketplace" which is free but you will need to register I think. Mr. Penny Machines will advise/help

It would also be useful if you could let us know where the machine is located.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:26 am

As JG says, we only alow sales through our market place,which is free to use. It will be worth a little of your time to place it there for I think it will sell.you can either offer it at a fixed price or put it in the auction section and see what it will go to.
Make sure to
adjust your photo, add other photos ,especially of the inside, list where it is in the UK, I might have a bid my self :cool:

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:59 am

Actually, the User Agreement forbids direct trading via the Forum but, as this item is listed on Ebay (click link above), I have no objection to the vendor advertising the fact here.

If ebay decide in their wisdom to remove it (not unlikely), Chris can list it in the Market or Auction here, as suggested, by creating an Auction/Market account.

jonesthegarage

Postby jonesthegarage » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:01 am

Ebay police already active and removed it, as with several others that appeared yesterday and promptly "left the building"