Carfield one arm bandit

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
jonesthegarage

Re: Carfield one arm bandit

Post by jonesthegarage »

Inspired by Widget's Columbia with the reversing payout mech and just having got this Carfield back from Mr. Slotalot's fixing shed I thought I'd share the Carfield in operation - note the reversing reels.

glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

treefrog wrote:I wonder if the nudge machine is like the Carfield nudger on ebay now.....
I had that very machine when I was 15. The club nudger, although it had 3 reels so not a club machine. It would nudge any reel down one symbol. It used a torch bulb to shine through holes in the reels for higher payouts. It had a sensor on the opposite side. I was going to bid on the machine a few weeks ago but it seemed like it was being bid up - loads of bids from the same bidder in 2 or 3 pound increments. That put me off. It was a hopper payout and mine was on old 5p. Carfield did patent the nudge - must have made a fortune. I did not realize they made table top bandits, but I would put Carfield up with Bellfruit - very nice and very well made machines.

Nice machine, I love Carfield, sentimental value and that can't be replaced. If that's ever for sale I might be tempted. The club nudger I owned had a crown on the centre reel paying 5p. I noticed crowns all over the front glass on yours - I thought the crown was Aristocrat.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

glittering-prize67 wrote:Carfield did patent the nudge - must have made a fortune.
What's surprising is that they bothered to carry on making machines after getting that patent! I'd have purchased a private island in the Caribbean and retired there with several dozen attractive young women and a rum distillery.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

In my experience the age of the women and their attractiveness would become redundant due to the rum distillery. :-(
brianh

Post by brianh »

Saw this one on eBay which looks similar to the Carfield in this thread. Not had a bandit before so know less than nothing about them - would this be worth a punt for starters if I can get it for a sensible price or does anyone know if any probs with this make I should look for?
Attachments
crown.jpg
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I dont think this is a good starter machine as there is electric involved in its operation.

Its also a bit boring IMO as it will pay maximum coin of 2 on payout (1 shilling = 2 * 6d coins).

Its certainly different yes, but an Aristocrat or jubilee would be far better first machine for fettling (safer too).
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

I echo Malcymal , it’s also rusty, looks like it’s been in a damp cellar for years.
brianh

Post by brianh »

OK - thanks guys, just that I'd sold 3 of my Allwins and fancied a change but whilst I'm OK with a hammer and a screwdriver, :smash: electrics and me don't go together :shock: so will take your advice and give this one a miss and maybe see what Coventry have to offer next month. !!THUMBSX2!!
brigham

Post by brigham »

Look how good the artwork is.
Also, no half-baked decimal conversion.
An interesting, unorthodox machine.
Can't find it on eBay, though.
brianh

Post by brianh »

Hi brigham - try this link. Comes under "Crown One Armed Bandit"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292761509598 ... noapp=true

Brian
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I don't disagree with you, it's interesting looking and like all slots they have their place in somebody's memories or collection. But given the poster's question (is this a good starter machine), I would say 'no', due to the electrical setup of coin acceptance and payout. The other issue in this uniqueness is that parts will be in short supply if it needs attention.
brigham

Post by brigham »

You would be better with an Aristocrat, to start with, or perhaps a SEGA.
I've always liked electrical gadgets, like the 'Lucky Devil' type conversions, so the Carfield is just my type of thing.
PS. I've found it. £275 reserve not met, plus collection from Glous. has rendered the matter somewhat academic.