What can I say ......?

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

What can I say ......?

Post by badpenny »

This is beyond my scope of experience, can anybody explain please?

slotalot

Re: What can I say ......?

Post by slotalot »

230474513681 is it your phone number? !PUZZLED!

as for the Jennings :o very strange machine :tarah:
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Hmm. I thought to myself, "what a nice machine for not much money", then I looked at the pictures of the back. I would be quite surprised if there was a single Jennings part in this machine, apart from the case. Even the reel mech is motor driven electric.

This is about as authentic as an L.S.Lowry painting of a discotheque. It should be taken to the compost heap and put out of its misery.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

It's a fully authentic modern machine manufactured for current operators who want the benefit of all things modern, e.g. multi-coin acceptors without the downtime and loss of profit associated with an old mechanical machine always jamming up...............

Made by Powell's Fantasia Leisure Division? Presumably?

It continues to show younger generations what machines looked like, which must be a good thing for this hobby.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

aristomatic wrote:Its a fully authentic modern machine manufactured
How can it be fully authentic?

Would you describe a Ford Model T with a 24 valve petrol injection transverse front wheel drive and ABS brakes as fully authentic?
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Badpenny, It's not my listing so let's just get relaxed about things!

I said it's a fully authentic modern machine.................which it is...
I didn't say it was a fully authentic mechanical slot machine or a fully authentic Jennings machine or a fully authentic anything else and I am not trying to pass anything off as it isn't nor do I condone anyone who knowingly does so........ I merely said what it is.....a modern machine.

I wouldn't want one in my collection, but they are not manufactured for me to buy one or for people to collect, they're manufactured for modern operators to make profits.

It's interesting to note that when manufacturers made the original bandits & other such machines they too were not thinking about collectors in 30, 40 or 50 years time, they were just thinking about making money too, for operators and themselves....................................................................
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Badpenny, It's not my listing so lets just get relaxed about things!

If I was any more relaxed I'd be snoring.

I said it's a fully authentic modern machine.................which it is...

No, I suggest you're still talking tosh ... modern it may be but "fully authentic" is a redundant phrase in this case in so much as everything in the world can be described as authentic

I didn't say it was a fully authentic mechanical slot machine
Who was it who said you did? ... name names and we'll get them after school for you.

or a fully authentic Jennings machine or a fully authentic anything else and I am
not trying to pass anything off as it isn't nor do I condone anyone who
knowingly does so........ I merely said what it is.....a modern machine.

Incorrect, I think we all agree that it is not a Jennings, and even you describe it as ...
made by Powell's Fantasia Leisure Division? Presumably? However if you read the auction, you will see it twice described as a JENNINGS INDIAN HEAD FRUIT MACHINE

I wouldn't want one in my collection, but they are not manufactured for me to buy one or for people to collect, they're manufactured for modern
operators to make profits.
It's interesting to note that when manufacturers made the original bandits & other such machines they too were not thinking about collectors in 30, 40 or 50 years time they were just thinking about making money too, for operators and themselves...................................................................

Agreed, but all I said was This is beyond my scope of experience, can anybody explain please?
So what was all that about?
I think you have reacted to the comments of the others who posted to my question (with whom I readily agree) and are possibly putting in intonation of voice to the written word, an easy mistake to make.

!!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Operator Bell wrote:Hmm. I thought to myself, "what a nice machine for not much money", then I looked at the pictures of the back. I would be quite surprised if there was a single Jennings part in this machine, apart from the case. Even the reel mech is motor driven electric.

This is about as authentic as an L.S.Lowry painting of a discotheque. It should be taken to the compost heap and put out of its misery.
The Returning Officer for The Compost heap has announced that "This Looky Likey" Jennings fake has not secured its seat. We are waiting to see if a coalition between the dung heap and the Wheelie Bins can be negotiated. **xXx**
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Badpenny:

If you ask people to explain something to you....... "that's beyond your experience" perhaps you should thank them for their input, rather than saying they're talking tosh.

I have merely explained to you as opening poster and the others who view this forum what I believe the machine to actually be and its origins as it may be of interest to some. If you or others believe the machine to be something different, then I would welcome that input, especially if I am misinformed.

The seller listing description is his statement and not mine, do not confuse or add to mine.

Aristomatic
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I refer you to my post of Fri May 14, 2010 1:37 pm

You are of course quite right ....."I thank you for your input", however as you were guessing and don't actually have any experience of this machine's antecedents, manufacturer or origins you gave me what I had guessed.
I suspect that really we all realised it was a fantasy mock up ripping off the design and good name of Jennings, but thanks.

As many of us here are either operators or have been at some time, there's also a bit of a risk that we may realise the conveniences of multi coin operation and modern electronics and it probably occurred to the odd one or two of us that old machines jam up a bit.

Just for the record, and in case anybody thinks differently I didn't find your comment ........
It's interesting to note that when manufacturers made the original bandits & other such machines they too were not thinking about collectors in 30, 40 or 50 years time
............ at all patronising in any way.
I know the description is the seller's and did not attribute it to you, however you did say.......
"..........I am not trying to pass anything off as it isn't nor do I condone anyone who
knowingly does so"
Which is not only a confusing thing to say when you clearly aren't the seller, but is wrong (My Uncle Tosh would have put it stronger) as it is advertised as a Jennings when it isn't.

At the end of the day though all this confusion is totally my fault and nobody else's, so I don't want you to carry on feeling bad about it. When I asked for an explanation in my opening post I was hoping somebody could tell me if a multitude of them had just been cleared out of the cellar of a club somewhere or that I had been walking around with my eyes closed for the last ten years and they were everywhere. But that's not how I worded it and only those that know me knew where I was coming from .............. god knows where I'll end up! I must learn to express myself more clearly

You ask for my opinion .... unfortunately, unlike you, I don't think it is good for our hobby, it's been built to deceive as it sports somebody else's name and a beginner could be forgiven for thinking it was the real thing. The vendor says that he understands they are worth a lot of money, so are there more out there pretending to be Jennings when they clearly aren't? Perhaps he thinks he has a Jennings ....ooops!
That was the basis behind my question. I'm truly sorry that it confused you. I hope you forgive me.

Never mind I'm glad we've got that all sorted out and can now continue sniffing Brasso and watching re-runs of Champion the Wonder Horse.

I'm off now to have a Chinese which is really an English as it is run by nationalised British people of Far Eastern origins, so I shall then go onto my other favourite forum "Fake Food for Beginners" and complain bitterly about it.
@&@
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Ah, I hadn't meant to ignite such a controversy. I find this chimera offensive in so many ways, but no doubt there are people who would be happy to own it, just as there are people happy to own a fake Rolex. It should not, however, be put up for sale as a "Jennings".
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

JC

Post by JC »

In addition to the misleading title, the seller has had the brass neck to add the sub heading:

VINTAGE, AMERICAN, ON STAND, WORKING, ONE ARMED BANDIT

I suppose we can concede that it is a one-armed bandit, and I'm happy to give him the benifit of doubt that it is working. I'll even accept that it may well be mounted on a stand...............

But VINTAGE, AMERICAN it most certainly isn't.

Anyone with more than a hand-full of brain cells must know that modern microproccesor electronics isn't 'Vintage', and I'd be suprised if there isn't a Fantasia Leisure label somewhere on the machine, indicating that it isn't American.

All in all, a very dishonest listing.