Oliver Whales Target For To-Night allwin

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
bryans fan

Oliver Whales Target For To-Night allwin

Post by bryans fan »

Am I missing something? This seems a tad dear to me. I have got used to Bryans making good money but £2,871 with one hour to go seems rather a lot of money! !PUZZLED!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Oliver-Whales-Tar ... perated_MJ
Attachments
PW-11.jpg
willborl

Re: Oliver Whales Allwin

Post by willborl »

The seller says, "A kind ebay member has just advised me that there are only a couple of these machines in existence."

Is this true? It's in lovely condition and makes my mouth water !!YIPPEE!! , but I agree it's way over the top on price.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

This was Oliver Whales doing what he did best :D
He was cashing in on the publicity from the 1941 British propergander film of the same name that shows our boys in the RAF winning the war, it would have been made in a small batch due to the fact he was useing up surplus stock as most materials were on ration, some toy manufacturers also cashed in on the trend, things like the Target for Tonight board game from 1942. :tarah:
But as you say its still a lot of money !PUZZLED!
Attachments
target for tonight.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well I don't know what the record is, but this topped £4,600 :shock:

Very pretty machine and does not look the age it is...
Attachments
target.jpg
rbrewerton

Post by rbrewerton »

Now we know the going rate for Olly Whales allwins I am reluctantly planning to auction my chocolate machine. Apparently there are not many of them around now so I expect the bidding to be brisk up to the £3000 mark followed by a last minute surge with the lucky winning punter coming in with the £4600 lovely smackers with seconds to spare. My advice to all is to forget your Krugerands. Send off your gold to Cash Converters and invest in allwins, you know it makes sense. This time next year we'll be millionaires.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Interesting to see that the buyer placed a higher bid than his winning $4600 a minute later, just to make sure he got it. So he was willing to pay more. Don't think it means a lot unless you own another example or something very close to it. I've seen many high prices set at auctions that just aren't repeated out in the real world. But I also know of a lot of record prices that were private deals that hardly anybody hears about. I don't believe there are any set values on secondhand objects - only whatever the seller and buyer can agree on that day is the value. Interest for antiques and vintage objects change every day like the waves on an ocean - something goes up in price and something else has to come down.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I think that gameswat has summed it up perfectly, something is only worth what someone will pay for it. I know of another example of this machine, one sold at John Carters dispersal sale several years ago and made £1350. It appears to be different to the ebay one, so two exsist. I wonder if any more will surface now?
Attachments
Target-for-tonight-a..jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

A beautiful machine at a stunning price. It behooves me to reluctantly put the crown jewel of WWII machines, "Khyber Pass" up for grabs at the modest price of 4,800GBP. You can get the provenance of this fabulous machine from my article in the ARENA. (You are a member of the ARENA, aren't you?)

For the modest sum above, you get this truly one-of-a-kind machine HAND-DELIVERED to you by me so that I might feng-shei your collection (or in your case, BP, your garden) as well as prattle on about British coin-op over tea.

Don't delay! This offer expires just before I do.

J Peterson
Your British-American Wannabe
Attachments
KP photo A.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Must admit that formation of planes really does look bloody great. One of the nicest allwins I've ever seen. Though I can think of better ways to spend that much of my own cash.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Quite right Gameswat-being ex RAF it had me running round the lounge, arms outspread rat-tat-tating at the Kentia palm, fortunately missing it. Fantastic machine but what a price!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

John, I would willingly pay for your hand delivered machine at £4600 on the condition that I provide your accommodation for one week at the exceedingly good rate of only £3100, tea and biscuits are of course extra.

Incidentally John, we tend not to use the word 'Khyber' too often over here as it refers to the area of ones anatomy that evacuates foul malodorous air from ones bowels.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well, the first one has set a standard which other hope they be able to follow - Rare Victory Ball now on, already rising rapidly.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-OLIVER-WHALE ... perated_MJ
Attachments
oliver-victory.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

When I bought this machine it did not have a top flash. I have only seen 2 others and neither did they, but I saw an old photo where one did. Also in Carter's book on page 9 you can see one. I had a pediment made to the same design and had it stained to match the colour of the cabinet and a professional artist copy the top flash.
Has anyone else seen a marquee like this on an OW allwin? The one on my Victory Ball is identical to the one on JP's Khyber Pass (previous page of this thread). Although the Victory Ball pictured on page 9 of Carter's book is cropped at the top, the marquee appears to be the same as the Target Tonight - similar again to the smaller games, but with an extra step at the base.
Attachments
VictoryBall.jpg
jingle

Post by jingle »

Just got back from a 6 day stint and checked my emails.
Oliver Whales Target for Tonight £4600 !!CHEERS!!
Then I looked at the bidding pattern !PUZZLED!

The highest bidder has 66% of his history with this bidder and his feedback is 700 plus.

What's going on there?
Or is that 66% of the bidding on the item :woops:
I offered him £750 !!HIDING!!
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

It's definitely not 66% of his 700 bids (though with ebay, I guess that is sometimes the case :tut ). It's something like 66% of his bidding history over the last 30 day :didact: s.
I'd have seen this as a very nice buy for £750, but wouldn't have been seeing it as anywhere near the final price !OMFG! .
woody

Post by woody »

Hi Guys

I can assure you it was a straightforward honest sale. The price shocked me a touch, but I was also offered £4.5k outside of the ebay process for the machine.

All the best
Woody
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Congratulations Woody on a nice result for a nice machine, and well done for not accepting bids outside the auction.

I agree with Gameswa - a game's sale price may bear no relation to previous estimates, being decided on the day by just how much two or more people are determined to own it.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

How come the third WW2 allwin, ebay item no.280551957413, only fetched £797? Seems cheap compared to the others and is just as rare.
Attachments
WW2.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

That BMCo Fleet Air Arm allwin was definately not as rare, I had one and I've seen a handful of others. It seems to me to be the most common of the four different versions. Interesting but not a very exciting game to look at or play I have to say. The artwork is hand stencilled and sprayed suggesting very low production. And all the four versions seem to have slightly different case styles of recycled wood which also suggests they were made in batches with different art for each new batch.
bill

Post by bill »

daveslot wrote:How come the third WW2 allwin, ebay item no.280551957413, only fetched £797? Seems cheap compared to the others and is just as rare.
:tut It was my machine that made £797... well it may have made that, but the high bidder did not pay me (well he gave me a drink).
Now I know this is nothing out of the ordinary on ebay not to pay... but you would think a fellow collector would pay, especially when he had just sold his own machine on ebay for £4600. Anyway, I won't mention any names.