Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
mr merrivale

Re: Helicopter Race

Postby mr merrivale » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:32 am

I wonder if any one can help me with my ruffler and walker racer.
I need to replace the two helicopters with originals i belive are airfix kits.
I have originals in in my other racer but no info on them
Any help and info please
Thanks

brigham

Postby brigham » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:15 am

Looks like a Westland Dragonfly.

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:54 am

Based on the Sikorsky. What is odd is that they have sea floats, never found pictures of these except a prototype. If they were airfix models, I assume they would need to be weighted to help the drop. My ones are wooden so assume we’re replacements, but perhaps you could confirm what ones you have that you believe are wrong, would be interesting to see if the same.

mr merrivale

Postby mr merrivale » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:52 pm

Hi Tom
The wooden ones are wrong. i have one with the plastic ones the same as many others and my other one has replacement wooden ones but found the remains of a plastic one in the machine .

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:40 pm

Would be good to see a piccie of the wooden replacement to see if the same as mine. Also do your machines have working lights and fan, as trying to confirm these elements, especially how fan is triggered and stopped. Also voltage as well. Much appreciated

I could not see airfix models for this chopper, so not sure if stopped a long time ago or custom made

brigham

Postby brigham » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:53 am

AMP models do one in 1:48 scale.
It might be too large.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:04 am

IF it was an airfix kit then it has to be this one as its the only one that fits the date,but the one in the video at least is not this helicopter
Type 1 Westland Whirlwind S55 (big).jpg

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:38 am

No, definitely Sikorsky H5 or Westland Dragonfly, the same looking wise, but Airfix catalogues started in 1962 and first ever plastic model was mid 50’s. Their range did not expand till the 60’s and cannot find this item from that time, as this chopper dates from 1949 to 1951. I would be staggered they would use something as fragile as an Airfix type model, but then again would explain why some were replaced. As I say I would expect some weight in them as well to help the drop after win. These have springs to act as dampers for the drop. They would have to have been movies if models anyway to support the rotating rotor which needs to be free running. Mine are all metal..

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:57 am

well I did find this,and there are points in its favour as it would be quite robust if built correctly its the right size,and would take a weight inside,but its not perfect
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-72nd-SCALE ... 3575274553

mr merrivale

Postby mr merrivale » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi guys
This is the original plastic helicopters.
The switch is for the 240v fan but neither of my machines has a fan in any more.
The light house lamp is wired to be on all the time but they did but a flasher unit in the lamp fitting then put the lamp in.
The low voltage lights work off a small transformer, like a door bell chime transformer.
The next photo to come is of the wooden helicopters but will have to take it when at my Yarmouth arcade.
Always welcome to take calls: 07763 802439
helicopters-a.jpg
helicoters-motor-switch-a.jpg