Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
13rebel

Re: Dropcase flick-coin machines

Postby 13rebel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:09 pm

You have a nice collection there, Bamsefarl. :cool:

youngerap

Postby youngerap » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Very nice collection, Bamsefarl . Particularly envy you the one with the painted sea scene. Lovely. Just translated it using this new-fangled Google-wotsit to 'Norwegian Society for Sea Rescue'. Even better.

I am the current custodian of the Skill Touch shown earlier in this thread and it is a firm favourite in my family - particularly with the grandkids.

bamsefar1

Postby bamsefar1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:11 pm

Thank you for kind feedback.
I also have some classic UK-allwin-machines in my collection. You know; the type with ball bearing looping from the down right side into a payout-slot. As I anderstand these machiens were the common ones during decades in the UK; the flick-a-coin-machines were the standard in Norway; and even more in Finland.

In Norway, the majority of these machines was operated by charity organizations; like the Red cross.

The painted one is as you found out by using Google-translate; a drop-case which generated money for a society which main motivation is to work proactive for preventing accidents at sea; and have a network of rescue boats along the Norwegian coastline which rescue sailers in distress.

The most expensive dropcase machines have a value equivalent to approx. £3500. But most machines in the Norwegian market go for £300 to 1200, depending on type and condition.

One of my more exotic drop-case machines, is the Tap a Fruit from Dennis Jezzard. It combines a drop-case machine and a "one armed bandit". I have a video of this one under "See it Operate".

So the "Tap a fruit", and Bell fruits "Cascade" are the only "modern" (read 1960 and upward) UK drop-case machines I know of.
Do any of you know of other manufacturers/models of this type (in which the coin is flicked with skill into a playfield) ?

:tarah:

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks for that interesting insight into the history of Scandinavian "skill" amusement machines. Flick-coin games are almost exclusively Germanic. As you say, the allwin predominated here. In fact, the classic flick-coin, where you whack the coin with your hand from the right side of the machine over a series of targets, was almost non-existent here until the 1970s when Bell Fruit made the Cascade. The Cascade was really just a copy of a much earlier foreign design that can be seen on German games of the 1930s. Most of the few pre-decimal examples in the UK are either German made or copies thereof.

My guess is that the old British penny was not well suited for this sort of machine, particularly the classic Fingerschlägers where the coins rest against trips and wheels awaiting payout. The big old pennies were flat and thin and became less flat and more thin as they remained in circulation for decades. As such, they were prone to block any game which depended upon the coins being of consistent dimensions.

There are many early British drop case games where the coin is usually propelled by a trigger from the bottom (Tivoli style) and others where the coin is simply dropped from the top (Tip Em Off, Challenger, Cromptons Wall Machines, etc.) These usually have mechanisms that are not too fussy about coin dimensions. Others, like the Challenger, rely on the coin validator to throw out bad coins. Nevertheless, playfield coin jams were not uncommon on Challengers.

A few on your list, like the Jamieson Mini-Golf and NSM Big Strike, don't quite belong to this class because they use balls in place of the coin.

jonesthegarage

Postby jonesthegarage » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:27 pm

$_57.JPG

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Wow!

1999 Euro equals
1647.02 British Pound Sterling

That's a lot of handbag :o

jonesthegarage

Postby jonesthegarage » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:33 pm

It's not alone in the "Wow" department,

try this Beromat derivative for £437!

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Geldspielautomat ... 3a8a9d8819
TipTop.JPG

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:16 pm

got one thats a bit different, looks like an earlier version of a cascade, has a golf theme
CIMG2780.JPG

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:55 pm

Treff Steiner, 1949 appears to be your machine Dave. The golf graphics were presumably added to jazz it up.
treff.JPG

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:10 pm

some good sleuthing dave, didnt realise these treff machines were operated here