Ebay listings removed

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
harleyboy

eBay listing removed

Post by harleyboy »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi all.
I am new here so be gentle. I have recently bought an old Mills High Top and, because of this, was trying to sell my Bally Showman one arm bandit on eBay. They originally cancelled my first listing for the Bally saying I needed a licence to be able to sell it, so I successfully got a single machine permit from the Gambling Commission.
I re-listed the Bally on eBay, thinking it would be OK, but received an email this morning from them informing me they have removed the listing again.
What do you have to do to successfully list a bandit on eBay.?

Any info would be great.

Thanks.
slotalot

Re: eBay listing removed

Post by slotalot »

Ebay are a pain for this kind of thing :dammit: :dammit:
This would help in the long run [url]http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/36659[/url]
Sorry, not much help?? :tarah:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Harleyboy, it is interesting that you had this removed. If you look under the Auction Forum topic you will see loads of debate about ebay and the need for the license. I assume you made it clear in the text you had a license with the license number? If not, you do wonder on what basis Ebay makes any decision these days and would confirm it is random.

A lot of people I notice have more success posting under the Collectables sections. The alternatives of course is an Auction. You may just have time to list something under the Elephant House auction, if you contact them, which runs in a week or any other auction or on this site in the Auction or Market.....

Trouble is, I get the impression eBay track people who have had items removed........ I personally am not in agreement that the right route is to keep buying these individual licenses which creates more ambiguity ongoing, and believe a change in the rules is the right path to head...
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

I had one of mine removed this week and protested that it is not covered by the Gambling Commission's definition of a gaming machine (incidentally, this definition only mentions machines which accept coins from 5p up). Anyway, the text of their reply is:
Gambling Commission wrote:We have received an update currently to disallow the sale of any type of slot/fruit machines on the site as a result of a recent inquiry from the Gambling Commission about several items on the site in which the sellers were trying to circumvent. Per the update, following are the two exceptions with regards to such listings:

1) Slot machines that were never functional but were made solely for display purposes (i.e sold for parts only).

2) Coin-operated slot machines where the member states in the listing that they hold a certificate or permit under the Gambling Act 2005.
perhaps we should be using pennymachines.co.uk as a more effective auction/sales/swap tool - I see an awful lot of IDs here that I also see on ebay so a lot of the machines are probably going round in circles anyway!
raj

Post by raj »

I re-listed the Bally on eBay thinking it would be OK but received an email this morning from them informing me they have removed the listing again.
What do you have to do to successfully list a bandit on eBay?
I assume that you wrote that you had the Permit and quoted the number for all to see?
I would also put it in the 'condition' box, so that it hits the viewer as soon as the item description is opened.
If all the above is true, I would send their customer services an email requesting they reinstate the ad (although they may not bother to reply!)
Some ads have gone on recently for 'a speck of dust' on top of a slot machine & a Bally handle for £200 with free machine. Another tack is to say the machine is a load of junk, doesn't work and is definitely not worth the £300 he is asking. All will fail!
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

You could try selling through a shop advertising board. It has worked for me twice now and, because the adverts are local, machine gets picked up and paid for quickly when they view. No fees other than 50p a week to the newsagents. Why give ebay 10% for doing sweet fanny adams, and even more annoying when buyer pays with paypal despite you telling them cash on collection.
john t peterson

British gambling restriction work-around

Post by john t peterson »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Friends,

Much has been made of the strict Ebay enforcement of the "no selling slots" rule you labor under in Great Britain. Well lads, help is on the way.

Take a look: http://www.ebay.com/itm/old-6d-one-arme ... 3cd01c72e4
crossbreed.JPG

This enterprising young man has opted to sell his slot machine on Ebay-US where we gladly pass these things back and forth with nary (only 5 states out of 50) any restrictions. The catch? The lucky US buyer must apparently fly to England to pick up the machine in person.

My question: Doesn't your prohibition apply to games SOLD in England regardless of the forum in which they are sold?

My question #2: If the answer to #1 is "Yes," does this mean the bobbies will be waiting to arrest me when I show up to collect my bandit?

J Peterson
Admiring yet curious American
clubconsoles

Re: British gambling restriction work-around

Post by clubconsoles »

Nice try, doesn't work I'm afraid.

Being in the USA, John, you probably cannot do a search on eBay UK?
But I assure you, you cannot do a search for it from the UK!
I did copy and paste the exact title on a Worldwide eBay search but it didn't show up :(
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I know the lady concerned (for it is). I would suggest her placing the advert through eBay USA is merely an accident or an attempt to attract Americanish interest.

I do remember someone a few months back commenting on the option of doing this, but I can't recall what consensus opinion was.
I've not sold anything through eBay for over 8 years now I think.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

OOh dear! Straight to the Hall of Shame for this one surely?
marktol

Post by marktol »

I had wondered about doing this.

I have managed to create a saved search that shows up every new item listed in the Antique Category they have specifically for slots on eBay US. Login to eBay.com and run the search and save it. Then when you login to the UK one, or on the iPhone, as I solely use mine, it will show you the results. Whilst most people in America don't list UK shipping as an option, very few in my experience will refuse to send it if you drop them an email and the cost isn't usually that bad. They have flat rate boxes which are great. You can get a lot in a $17.50 box!
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Item 321089050698 - last night my mate bid £100 on it to get it..... And had his bid taken off because he didn't show proof of a gaming license. It then made £36.00. His loss, the muppet. Ebay's going mad.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Just don't bother selling on ebay. Local adverts on shops seem to have worked well for me - two machines gone so far, at far better price and no commission.
raj

Post by raj »

Item 321089050698 - last night my mate bid £100 on it to get it..... And had his bid taken off because he didn't show proof of a gaming license. It then made £36.00. His loss, the muppet. Ebay's going mad.
presumably it was the seller who pulled the bid, not ebay? I did not think you even needed a permit to sell a pusher ( as opposed to operating one, that is)
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

It was me that brought up the idea of selling on ebay USA some time ago and it can work, it has for me but I suspect its because when I first joined ebay there was no ebay UK so im actually registered as a member of ebay US , it used to be very easy to do ,just log in to .com in stead of .co.uk and it worked, now they seem to check you through your email address, i suspect if you have an email address linked to a postal address in the USA it will work perfectly, the key then is advertise FREE POSTAGE to the Uk and postage at cost to the USA or even better "collection only"

the item mentioned must have been removed by the seller, you do not need a licence or permit to own or buy any machine only to sell,operate, or restore/maintain with the view to sell
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Yes, the seller of the pusher cancelled the bid - his loss.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

With regards to the opening post about the auction for what looks like a Mills Poinsettia with the bottom casting from a War Eagle. It didn't reach reserve, as you may have noticed.

The vendor didn't appreciate they had placed it on eBay USA. She has asked me to convey her wish to sell it and, if anyone is interested in talking to her, I shall furnish her number to interested parties who PM me.

I have no financial interest in this, nor do I know the machine. I am in no position to give any condition report or valuation on it. Therefore, I can't place it in the market.

BP
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I was the leading bidder on this. They made contact afterwards and were looking for £450, with the high petrol costs I suspect is way too much. The other thing I am not sure about the machine. I cannot find any Poinsettia type War Eagle front machine in my books and early jackpots do not look like this. Please do correct me, but I wonder if this is a Mongrel, War Eagle lower on a Poinsettia case. The Eagle would have continued in some form to the top casting and is just cut of, also the award card would be in a cast surround.

I am sure someone will blow my theory away, but they will probably take less, but I pitched in what I thought was a reasonable offer.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Its a "Mongrel" indeed treefrog.
Wrong belly casting.
Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole unless I had a spare front casting.
Keep yer eyes peeled for a War Eagle with a Poinsettia lower front though,,,,Rare! Rare! Rare. Four fifty easy.... Honestly! !!UHOH!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Ah The War Poinsettia.
Violent fauna never was my bag since I saw The Triffids as a child.