Machines at Aston's (Dudley) on 8th November

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
astons

Machines at Aston's (Dudley) on 8th November

Post by astons »

Hi all,

I'm Kayleigh, from Aston's Toy Auctions, and I'm just posting to let you know that we have some arcade machines coming up in an auction, including working models and fortune tellers, on 8th November.

All the machines are from the Arne Toy Museum, which closed a few years ago. They have all been converted to modern coins, and are working. You can view the lots here: http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/aucti ... yID=163422

We're based in Dudley, West Midlands. We will be open for viewing on Thursday 7th November from 10am - 7pm, and on the sale day between 8am - 10am. If you are interested, and can't make it, we are happy to do condition reports and take additional photos or videos, etc.

I hope this is of interest to you, and to see some of you at the sale!

Thank you, Kayleigh
raj

Re: Machines at Aston's (Dudley) on 8th November

Post by raj »

So many toys, so little money to buy! ...Sorry, you collectors in the Midlands, you may have a lot of competition on the day. !!CHEERS!!
jingle

Post by jingle »

Hi Kayleigh
What's your buyers premium please
As there are 2 slot auctions coming up
And there's is around 5 to 10 percent

Some nice stuff in your auction
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

November will be an interesting month. This auction just before Coventry and Elephant House a week after. Hope it dosn't spread the available money too thin. :(

Why are these things always up near the Arctic circle, never in the South? !PUZZLED!
astons

Post by astons »

I thought November might be an expensive month for some of you, with a few auctions coming up!

Our buyers premium is 20%.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

20%!!!! daylight robbery..... :(
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Astons wrote:Our buyers premium is 20%.
Actually, if you buy online it's 21% + VAT +2% if you use a credit card (according to Aston's website), so if you bought the Merchantman crane online, and it is as described, you could expect to pay, let's say, £1500 for the crane + £415 commission, surcharge and VAT. !OMFG!

Roll on Coventry :cool:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

As far as I'm concerned the bidders' Premium is only an issue for the seller, as it cuts right into their takings. As a buyer, I just do the sums beforehand or during and figure what I'm willing to pay (bid + premium), so what?
astons

Post by astons »

We've just changed our buyer's premium for online bidders to 20%. We're just in the process of updating our website. The 2% fee only applies to credit card payments. There's no charge for any other form of payments.

As Gameswat says, most of our bidders do the maths beforehand, and figure out what they're willing to pay taking the buyer's premium into account.

We've just filmed a short video (12 seconds) of the Laughing Sailor in operation.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

coppinpr wrote:Actually, if you buy online it's 21% + VAT +2% if you use a credit card (according to Aston's website), so if you bought the Merchantman crane online, and it is as described, you could expect to pay, let's say, £1500 for the crane + £415 commission, surcharge and VAT
Oh dear ..... All of the above plus decimal conversions as well. :cry:
jingle

Post by jingle »

Video of laughing sailor looks good
But you can't advertise this as 1950s
It's probably 1990s model in a 1930s French crane case :o
Post a picture of the mechanism
And it will be confirmed
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Laughing Sailor looked bloody terrible to me! Hardly any action, and the same movements repeated which is wrong, and no eye rolling! :burp:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

This sale and Clive's Burdlesdon Brickworks day now in the Calendar.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

"That's not a Sailor.............THIS IS a Sailor."

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Gameswat wrote:"That's not a Sailor.............THIS IS a Sailor."
Chalk and cheese!
jingle

Post by jingle »

Also an early 20 th century oak cased
Beer drinker :lol:
It's yesterday's girl :tut
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

As a buyer I just do the sums beforehand or during and figure what I'm willing to pay (bid + premium), so what?

Of course, we all do that! That doesn't mean the difference between a commission of 5% and 20% doesn't matter. What it does on the plus side is stop people buying simply to resell, as they almost always can't overcome the inflated price. On the other hand, there are unlikely to be any bargains as an item that sells at a low price will almost always cost you the going rate with the commission.

Why do auction houses always come up with these useless "expected to make" figures? Take a look at this one's previous auctions and compare the estimate against the realized amount. The only thing these amounts do is make you think they don't know the value of anything. Half of these items will have a reserve of double the "estimate".
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

So if I can make sense of this Coppin, you're trying to say that from the day Premiums were introduced, suddenly auction prices on every object sold went up and have stayed up ever since?!? If we all add the premium onto our bids as you say, then it wouldn't make any difference. At the best of times auction prices don't make a lot of sense anyway. They certainly don't dictate how I sell machines in the real (non-auction) world. Antiques by their nature are all unique so there really isn't any such thing as price shopping for them, though a lot of people think you can.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Wondered when this would be posted on the site, even though most of us already knew about this. What is even more interesting that the seller, or seller on behalf of the seller, has bypassed the moderators' rules. Maybe we need to register ourselves as auctioneers to get around the rules. Would be more interesting if Steve Hunt advertises his auction on here as well !SOFA!

Anyway, looks an interesting lot, given the recent other working models discussed on here, shame most of the machines have been converted to modern coin mechanisms. I wonder if the originals are hidden somewhere inside.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I see now that the rule as it stands is ambiguous: Please do not use the Forum to advertise items "Wanted" or "For Sale". Such postings will be deleted. If you wish to sell items on this site, please post them in the Auction or Market.

The intent of the rule is to ban direct trading through the Forum. It is not in any way designed to discourage people from using the Forum to advertise sales taking place either here, in the Market/Auction, or elsewhere - be it ebay, the Elephant House or any other venue.

I will have to re-word the rule to dispel this confusion.