Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
ilovemyjukebox

Re: A letter to eBay UK?

Postby ilovemyjukebox » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:44 am

Have I missed something…

The law states that you need a permit to sell a machine. EBay are abiding by the law. They remove machines where the seller doesn't have a permit.
If the sellers of the modern day fruit machines are managing to by pass this, then good luck to them.

If you want to sell a machine then surely you should buy a permit.

This idea that there is an individual who spends every waking minute of his day trawling through the listings trying to spot someone circumventing the law if frankly ridiculous. It's all done by software on word recognition. Perhaps you should look and see what the modern machine sellers are using to attract their buyers and plagiarise some of that.

Dave

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:05 am

Anybody tried selling machine on a cornershop postcard board? I've got rid of two this way and got good prices too, impulse buys with no competition, no waiting around for the buyer to show up or not pay 'cause they are local buyers and cash avoids 15% combined ebay and paypal fees. Chance your luck, it's worked for me. The ebay argument - aren't we just very small fish in the grand scheme of things in ebay's priorities?

margamatix

Postby margamatix » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:45 pm

ilovemyjukebox wrote:If you want to sell a machine then surely you should buy a permit.
Well, there's too much taxation as it is, and I certainly disagree that anyone selling a pre-decimal one-armed bandit should have to pay the Government £25 for the privilege.

Having said that, I am currently applying for a permit, the only difference will be that I will raise the starting price for my Mills Hi-Top from £75 to £175 when it turns up.

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:59 pm

Boy, the Ebay topic never goes away, there must be over 10 threads going on for years on the same........The only thing I miss from the ebay issue was as a buyer the selection of fresh machines coming to market, never sold or attempted to sell a machine on ebay and never will. I also think going down the permit route is accepting that this is acceptable to you all, so your giving in.......As Malcymal says, sell elsewhere.......boot fair, auctions, other selling websites etc etc....... Also I am sure there was an Arisocrat Esprit by ex member Widget on there the other day with a permit stated and has disappeared !PUZZLED!

jonesthegarage

Postby jonesthegarage » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:22 am

Yes, I saw the Esprit too and quite cleverly he showed it pictured with two other machines which he said were available at the same price. One was a Riviera, I forget the other. I also noticed his permit number was around number 70 which I thought was perhaps not right, as I'd seen another recently well over number 100. Maybe a mistake; maybe another try at getting around the rules which we could all have benefited from, but the fact that it disappeared altogether makes you think it was a "policing" issue that led to its removal. I know that you can trace a personal permit on the Gambling Commission website if you have a surname to start with, so it is easy for Ebay to check if correctly quoted or not.

It has just popped into my head that we should perhaps petition our respective MPs as these rules are against free trade and more importantly our Human Rights are being abused. The latter always seems to be a winner in the courts, from prisoners to jobseekers to illegal immigrants. Perhaps I will make a listing saying my machine cannot be removed as I am in fear of my life from slot radicalists who have drones capable of remotely creating coin jams.

jonesthegarage

Postby jonesthegarage » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:30 am

....the other machine was a Riviera Oxo, which somewhat strangely is still in Market on this Forum. Obviously when you get excommunicated it doesn't sweep all the corners.

raj

Postby raj » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:36 am

jonesthegarage wrote:I know that you can trace a personal permit on Gambling Commission website if you have a surname to start with so it is easy for Ebay to check if correctly quoted or not.
I'm not sure if you can track single machine permits via the Gambling Commision site; Personal Licences can be tracked however.
Any permit in the 70 range will have expired, or be very close to expiry, so it is possible the number was made up or 'borrowed'.
I don't know the story behind widget2k4, however it is near impossible to delete traces on t'internet with a name like that. A simple google search will reveal a huge amount about a person with any online presence, and it will sit there for years...be warned! !OMFG!

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:39 pm

ilovemyjukebox wrote:This idea that there is an individual who spends every waking minute of his day trawling through the listings trying to spot someone circumventing the law if frankly ridiculous.
First, if you call ebay they will freely admit to you that they rely almost entirely on reports from people to spot breaches in there selling policy. Many members of this forum can confirm that.
Second, it only takes a few mins to see that the ads for modern machines are often MORE likely to attract a computer search than ours do, especially as those machines are still usable as gambling machines. The fact that modern machines don't get pulled is the biggest evidence in favour of a human troll so far.

jimmy55

Postby jimmy55 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:53 pm

I agree with 'ilovemyjukebox', the idea is ridiculous .....but as coppinpr says, if you watch the listings they is no comparison between the treatment of the two sorts of machines. The only reason I started the thread was to try and put ebay on the spot and get an answer as to why it was happening. BUT I quite understand people's clear reluctance to 'rock the eBay' boat. The best we can hope for is an eventual change of heart by the legislators or a more widely known auction platform to sell machines.

jimmycowman

Postby jimmycowman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:38 pm

I'm sure it's been said before, but... in the States don't they have an antique coin slots on ebay where all the old stuff goes on... Why isn't ebay UK the same? Always thought their country was more strict on gaming??? Like it or hate it, I bet most people on here look on ebay weekly or more............