New way of getting past Ebay rules

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
treefrog

New way of getting past Ebay rules

Post by treefrog »

People have tried the selling a bandit cabinet separate from the mechanism to get around ebay rules, the latest trend from our fellow collectors or speculators is to completely break machines down into parts and sell them......Me thinks this is not about ebay rules perhaps and more trying to make a few dollars !WINK!, shame.The latest one is a perfectly good Mills Hi Top someone was selling on Gumtree and now in a thousand pieces....overall for twice what they paid for it.
The only risk is the people needing parts will dry up in terms of bits people want as the market will flood and the bits we all want like back doors, never come with the machines anyway
coppinpr

Re: New way in getting past Ebay rules

Post by coppinpr »

how about advertising a machine on Ebay as "totally dismantled for parts " and offering "free rebuild before collection if required"
amazing how quickly I can dismantle and rebuild in less than 10 mins if no one is there to see either :o
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I tried to buy those two Mills machines from down Kent. Looked like a nice Winter project to me. Guy told me he was selling them to a collector to get restored. :(
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Same Gumtree seller has, or maybe that's now had? The Wonders Cannonballs machine which was damaged at the auction house and featured in this thread previously on the site: Wonders Pictures

Seller didn't want hassle of couriers, just wanted simple cash on collection, (and understandable).
EDIT
The Wonders has now been sold I believe.

GP.
coppinpr

Re: New way of getting past Ebay rules

Post by coppinpr »

Here is an interesting way of heading an ad to try and get round being removed. Interesting jack pot on this machine:
Full size scale model collectors one arm armed bandit fruit slot machine
Attachments
italian.JPG
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I laughed at that one as well.

I've always wanted a full size scale model of Earth ....... no where to put it you see.

I used to have one of those bandits, I heard somewhere they were a Sega spin off for Italy. :!?!:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

badpenny wrote:I heard somewhere they were a Sega spin off for Italy.
We discussed them here: Ascot Bandit.
Probably more rip off than spin off, but made in Italy, yes.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Fascinating, because ........

A) I don't remember that thread.
B) Not only did I contribute to it but I said the same as I did in this one.

I am pleased to notice that I am consistent in my amnesia.
My future ability to be reliable in Dementia will easily surpass my predictability whilst I was young. !!THUMBSX2!!

BP
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

this listing started out life on ebay.com with a starting price of $1 then was removed as "error in listing". It is now listed in "Women's Magazines" category but we've all still found it, maybe that's the secret, we should all start listing full scale model women's magazines. It's a while since I received the statutory warning from Ebay, I might give it a try.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Interesting, as my normal machine search found it and yet I'm not searching for "woman's mags", mags with women in them, yes - that's another matter. Perhaps we should list in "playboy mags" section, we would reach the right audience :o
spintop

Post by spintop »

Clean looking green Mills machine on auction, this ended unsold 3rd jan on ebay then put on gumtree. i see the Seller never got a bid.on ebay , its Back on with private bidding and the bids are flying in ?? , i myself have never been a fan of undercover ebay bidding as i think its open to all types of you know what and dont bid on that format of auction myself as its done for a reason and one reason only whatever anyone says ,ebay should ban it !PUZZLED!
Attachments
greenmills.JPG
Last edited by spintop on Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

This was the one that was for sale on Gumtree a week ago.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Yes indeed, this was one of a number of machines sold recently. One of the members on here is selling this on ebay, as well as the remaining parts of the Mills machine referred to in OP initial post. Another member purchased the other machines from original seller. I understand the previous poster's concerns about private auctions so bidders cannot see the bidding pattern as clearly as those not private, however, and this is in general terms, not linked to this particular machine, there are other factors to consider. Maybe the new seller is closer to those currently bidding than the initial seller was. Maybe better pictures. What was the original seller's working/non working description versus the current seller. Is the new seller more flexible on payment or delivery/collection than the original seller. Maybe those currently bidding, have bought off the current seller previously, so more happy to deal with him? Maybe they didn't see the original listing - away from PC or on holiday. Some bidders don't bid til someone else bids as the concerned item is priced too high (not exactly a scientific method). As a licence shown within the listing, maybe they are confident this will go to its scheduled end so it's worth bidding on, and of course in some private listings it will be being bid up by the seller just as some non private auctions are.

Referring back to the OP, I personally believe the Mills machine being parted out, was to a collector, a far far better purchase than the complete machine currently listed, even bearing in mind the condition it was in. Indeed, I was personally interested in the cabinet, castings and trim, however collection costs became prohibitive to the deal moving forward, and that's after trying to buy the unrestored (now newly parted out) Mills machine from the original seller.

GP
marktol

Post by marktol »

Hi all,

As you know I'm selling the two machines mentioned. I have to say I'm a little disappointed at the perceived tone of some of the comments. I have been an active member of the forum for quite some time and have purchased and restored quite a few machines now with the help of many of you. In fact several of you have purchsed either the restored machines, bulks of parts I've had sent from America or parts from machines I've ended up using for spares - sometimes at a small profit, usually break even or often I've actually lost money but that's not what it's about. Part of what keeps me interested in the hobby is the great community of supportive and friendly people on here which I certainly wouldn't have had the fun I've had over the past few years without the support of.

I don't feel as though I should have to justify my actions, however I don't want there to be any kind of misunderstanding or animosity, so I wanted to clear the air so to speak.

I had been in email dialect with the seller of the two concerned machines on and off over more than a week. I wasn't really interested in the green machine as many of you will know I tend to only go for 6D machines. The restoration was something I was interested in, however the quality of the pictures was poor and it was clearly missing a number of difficult to get hold of parts which can also be quite pricey. The seller was local to me and didn't want to be involved with couriers etc., so we eventually came to a deal to collect. I was just lucky in that instance that I was the most convenient seller for the machines he needed a quick sale for. You win some you lose some - more often than not in my experience you lose!

I had every intention of restoring the project machine, however on arrival it was missing more bits and was in worse condition that I had expected - I'm sure we have all been there. Personal circumstances for me at the moment are I don't have a great deal of free time and certainly not enough to do a full job on the machine any time soon. I don't have the space or ability to leave the cash tied up in something like that to save for a rainy day so went for the quickest and easiest sale route. It's much easier to package and send small items than big ones, and will of course also appeal to a wider market. For one broken down machine there will be many more that get a new lease of life. We all know that there's not really any such thing as an original machine these days as parts were always swopped out. The restoration machine is no exception and has had all manner of changes made to it which actually meant it would never really have made a great machine as is without a load of extra bits.

Those of you I know better will know I'm an honest and genuine person and integrity is very important to me. The listing for the green machine is private because some people like to have expensive purchases kept anonymous. I would normally list in the market here also and always at a reduced price to eBay, however I decided to go with a 99p start on this particular one - in truth I have no idea what a fair price would be. I have never pulled an active auction before completion with bids on, nor would I ever do that. I have also always been prepared to do deals with fellow forum members outside of eBay on parts I have available. Also, to be clear, I have never asked a seller to do that either; if there is a machine I'm interested in with no permit, like many of you, I provide my contact details.

Anyway I'm disappointed I feel as though I have to explain my actions - that's not what I've come to enjoy this community of people for.

Cheers,
Mark.
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Hear Hear Mark. But you didn't need to justify your actions. I've been in this hobby since 1979 and believe me not all people in this hobby are honest, so it's nice to see you as one of the honest. I've followed your posts on here so I know you are an avid hobbiest/collector who like me enjoys the buying, fixing, cleaning of machines. I do admire your ethics on being honest and not "pulling" an item from ebay before its end.

This is something that appears to be happening more and more. Sellers of vintage slots and allwins appear to be using ebay purely as an advertising medium and have no intention of keeping them on them til the end. We see a lot more of these sellers adding their phone numbers on the pretence of asking questions, but usually so they can do a deal! Early years of ebay no one put a phone number!
:D
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

Well I can definitely confirm you won't get away with it by listing under "women's magazines", tried it yesterday and 16 hours later they pulled it and issued the usual dire warnings.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

haha nice try mate :)
the things we do to try and sell :lol:
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

strangely enough, there must be a time limit the violation stays on your account because I've just read the notice and it refers to it being my first listing breach, again, I think, implying this is an automated system.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

i got mine kicked off loads of times and it always says first time ?
gumtree is just as bad now as well, they even kicked my advert off for a play station 3, saying i was violating the rules ?
they have some right Muppet's working for them who obviously do not read the listings before pulling them.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The word is out there that somebody is contacting the sellers of machines on eBay with a proposition.

They claim to have done a deal with eBay to sell other peoples slot machines on eBay. Stating they are fully licenced and will charge a % of final price.
They guarantee their auctions will stay on ebay for the full term.
My informant asks .... perhaps it's these that have been pulling them off ebay?

I can see a host of problems and reasons to doubt the detail of this, however I trust my source regarding the fact that somebody is trying it.