Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

The Most Impressive Bryans Collection to be offered ever.

Postby badpenny » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:14 pm

We've just come off the phone from talking to our vendor for our Coventry Auction end of November.

The collection is available to be seen on Darren Hesketh's 2 DVD box set Old-Tyme Penny Arcade & the Vintage Fairground, if you have a copy.
We are in the process of extracting stills which will be reproduced here.

I'm not a Bryan's expert and only have 5 machines but I understand that this collection (excluding cranes) is one of the most complete. If you exclude Pot the Copper and Waterfall it's likely to be there!
Please don't ask about The Bumper I think we all know by now that's a bit of fiction other auctions use to attract viewers.

To add to the uniqueness there are also a couple of genuine prototypes accompanied by letters of authenticity signed by Jim Bryan.

We are expecting over 30 machines in total, they will be offered over two auctions Nov 14/May 15.

Now if that's not worth saving up for then my aunty is a monkey's uncle ....... errrr ...... or something.

BP
ps Our commision will remain at only 6%

jimmycowman

Re: The Most Impressive Bryans Collection to be offered ever

Postby jimmycowman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:04 pm

!PUZZLED! November the 14th !PUZZLED! middle not the end?

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Postby coin-op » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:06 pm

badpenny wrote: Please don't ask about The Bumper I think we all know by now that's a bit of fiction other auctions use to attract viewers.
To be fair, I think it was an actual seller who consigned this fabled lot to a well remembered auction. In fact, I did have a conversation later with said seller and he recounted the tale of selling it elsewhere, solicitors involved, etc, etc. Undoubtedly the failure of the lot to materialise was a disappointment to those carrying suitcases full of readies, but I don't think it was an auction house scam. However, bracing myself for a whole host of alternate view points!

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:14 pm

jimmycowman wrote:November the 14th !PUZZLED! middle not the end?
14 is 2014 and 15 2015

Look forward to it and I guess at least the EH auction will set the tone in terms of prices.... Pictures will be good to allow people to decide on holding off as well......

So maybe the Bumper really does exist SkEpTiCaL

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Postby coin-op » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:22 pm

treefrog wrote:So maybe the Bumper really does exist SkEpTiCaL
Just to be clear, nothing I said was intended to lean to this view.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:23 am

And this week's prize, a solid gold bladeless knife with no handle goes to TF for understanding years aren't days. !WORSHIPFULL!

And thanks to coin-op for throwing some light into the dark corner that was the "Pier Auction"

I wonder where it went then, and why nobody has ever bragged.
Just a thought, wouldn't it be astonishing if our vendor was the new owner? !!ESCAPE!!

jimmycowman

Postby jimmycowman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:42 am

Years, days, months, they go by quick when you're having fun..... @@@ Soon be fools day......

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Postby coin-op » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:52 am

badpenny wrote: Just a thought, wouldn't it be astonishing if our vendor was the new owner? !!ESCAPE!!
My thoughts are that the new owner subsequently put it up for sale on ebay, as an invisible Bumper was listed, got bids, and it looked to me exactly like the one originally consigned to the pier auction ;-)

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:02 am

I do recall that happening actually. Perhaps I should have bid instead of just laughing at the time, could I have paid with invisible money?

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:52 am

The professed owner of the Bumper originally advertised it in the Antique Amusements Magazine, without a picture. When we all contacted him to make our bids for it he said that in view of the response he'd decided the best thing would be to take it along to one of Steve's auctions. The gentleman concerned was quite well known in collector circles - several of us bought machines from him. As time went by at least one collector I knew tried to obtain pictures or a viewing of the Bumper to no avail. In view of this, I came to suspect the whole thing was a charade played by this fellow to satisfy some obscure motive. What he could achieve in the long term but discredit, I couldn't fathom.

When it was finally advertised to appear at Steve's pier sale, I didn't go and suggested to other collectors they were wasting their time if they thought they were going to buy a Bumper. I think, in view of the conspicuous absence of anything to indicate the thing actually existed in the years between the fellow advertising it in Steve's mag and offering it for auction, Steve should have asked for a picture before advertising it again. On the other hand, I suppose he was as keen as any of us to believe it existed.