Apollo Fruit Gum Vendors

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coppinpr

Re: Apollo Fruit Gum Vendors

Post by coppinpr »

im not so sure it isn't an original machine, the name plate looks professional,the photos look original and the music box,which acts as the slot clock, plays a Beatles song,although to be honest,a Beatles song much later than the machine would appear :!?!:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think the top flash is homemade or amateurish at the least.

The reel strips would be easy to manufacture, and I can't help but feel the makers would have recast the Apollo panel to reflect its proposed nomenclature.

As for the music box, I recall every tatty gift shop on the parade at Paignton was selling Beatle musical boxes to hysterical prepubescent school girls. In fact eBay has a couple or three for auction on it's first page right now.

I'll tell you what I think happened. Someone had come across an Apollo Gum Vendor in which; like the one I found nearly thirty years ago, the tiny music box mechanism had given up the ghost. They found a replacement which happened to "Plinky Plonk" out a bar of Hey Jude. So on that basis let's change the theme and chance our arm.

I don't like chancers.

By the way it's not heavy, they're made from aluminium, plywood, thin metal sheet and plastic.
It's made to vend a ball gum every play and two every fourth. It would be easy enough to blank off some of the chambers to give a random vend as described.

:didact:
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

It's only £250.............

for the next 2 years...!