Apollo Fruit Gum Vendors

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Apollo gum vending slot machine

Post by coin-op »

Can anyone tell me anything about this machine? It's an Appollo gum vending slot machine. Who made it, what sort of date is it, were they intended for arcades or corner shops, is it British; basically anything else?
Attachments
apollo2.JPG
apollo2.JPG (34.52 KiB) Viewed 5894 times
apollo3.JPG
apollo3.JPG (33.33 KiB) Viewed 5894 times
bryansjim

Post by bryansjim »

I had one myself for a short period of time but sold it on. The only thing I remember is that the one I had did not have a coin box underneath. I sold mine for £65. Yours looks tidier than mine. :D
treefrog

Apollo Fruit Gum Vendors

Post by treefrog »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Never seen these type of Gum Vendors before.... one turned up earlier today and now a pair on stands. Not big into stimulators or gumball machines, but quite like these... Any ideas on maker or country of origin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271487496793? ... 1423.l2648
Attachments
gum1.JPG
gum2.JPG
gum3.JPG
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Apollo Fruit Gum Vendors

Post by badpenny »

I had one back in the 1990s.
I seem to remember it was English, but I don't know why I think that.

The mechanism is quite fragile compared to a bandit, but it is after all only a vendor.
It would cost a fortune to fill one up as the perspex covered tank on the top is where they all sit.

If you look closely at one of the photos in the auction you'll spot the weakness....
There's a small jewellery box type music mechanism attached to an axle, it's there not just to play a tune it doubles as the clock governor.

However the tiny little brass cogs aren't really beefy enough to take the strain.

BP
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I also had one and was equally unimpressed with the construction - more like a toy.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

badpenny wrote:However the tiny little brass cogs aren't really beefy enough to take the strain
pennymachines wrote:I also had one and was equally unimpressed with the construction
Seems that this Apollo shares the same phrase 'Houston we have a problem'
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Arrgee wrote:
badpenny wrote:However the tiny little brass cogs aren't really beefy enough to take the strain
pennymachines wrote:I also had one and was equally unimpressed with the construction
Seems that this Apollo shares the same phrase 'Houston we have a problem'
That's right ... very little atmosphere.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well a slightly different theme on that variation on eBay thought worth capturing for future reference, the Beetles version. Looks like it maybe an original set-up and more :shock: :shock: :shock: if it had been owned by John Lennon, maybe close

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beatles-Apoll ... Swn45Z2R6H
Attachments
DC92E6AC-236C-41D3-B673-CD06C6025C12.jpeg
C1976039-48B8-438A-83A5-C3B560846D50.jpeg
212B12E2-25C5-4659-8B90-6C66D3E60819.jpeg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I guess this is not really a vendor or a trade stimulator but actually is a slot machine as it does not appear to pay a gum ball for every play only on certain winners.
I can imagine why the guy thinks it worth that much especially as these are not built to last.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

........ and only £5950 over priced!

I suspect it's a bog standard Apollo with some weasely photos added. He's certainly incorporated some weasely words.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

im not so sure it isn't an original machine, the name plate looks professional,the photos look original and the music box,which acts as the slot clock, plays a Beatles song,although to be honest,a Beatles song much later than the machine would appear :!?!:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think the top flash is homemade or amateurish at the least.

The reel strips would be easy to manufacture, and I can't help but feel the makers would have recast the Apollo panel to reflect its proposed nomenclature.

As for the music box, I recall every tatty gift shop on the parade at Paignton was selling Beatle musical boxes to hysterical prepubescent school girls. In fact eBay has a couple or three for auction on it's first page right now.

I'll tell you what I think happened. Someone had come across an Apollo Gum Vendor in which; like the one I found nearly thirty years ago, the tiny music box mechanism had given up the ghost. They found a replacement which happened to "Plinky Plonk" out a bar of Hey Jude. So on that basis let's change the theme and chance our arm.

I don't like chancers.

By the way it's not heavy, they're made from aluminium, plywood, thin metal sheet and plastic.
It's made to vend a ball gum every play and two every fourth. It would be easy enough to blank off some of the chambers to give a random vend as described.

:didact:
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

It's only £250.............

for the next 2 years...!