Coin operated fortune teller on ebay

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
gameswat

Re: Coin operated fortune teller on ebay

Post by gameswat »

Couldn't quickly find the listing, but looks just like the cabinet used on the prototype Bryans Postcard machine? - Ah, ok, just read this on the Melwright site: "A sales leaflet and operators' leaflet was produced, and a number of empty cases were in storage at the factory, so it is likely that the design suffered from mechanical, operational, or perhaps legal problems."
Attachments
postcrd2.jpg
postcrd2.jpg (8.37 KiB) Viewed 6124 times
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

332807893236. Number.. Seems a lot of money with it not working......
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thanks but I still can't see it, presumably because I'm overseas and seller has ticked local pickup only?
JC

Post by JC »

The ebay seller states that the machine dates from the 1940s - it doesn't. It is one of a very small number of fortune teller machines produced by Cliff Mills in the '90s, utilising Bryans postcard vendor cases. Given that it doesn't even work, I'd say it's ten times over-priced.
brigham

Post by brigham »

I've seen this machine, it's a good looking bit of gear, but the electrics are the give-away; painfully modern.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

The same seller is trying to sell a strength tester for 1100 !which has been on ebay for the last 2 years 😁 lol
Attachments
_20180917_085537.JPG
brigham

Post by brigham »

I'm not sure that the seller in Hull is the same as the seller in Skipsea.
The one in Hull is simply using eBay as a shop-front for the machines also appearing in the picture.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

On closer inspection it looks like it's a different seller :smash: !!JUNK!!
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

Oddly enough, the seller of the above machine from Skipsea was in fact the very same chap who I was buying the bandit from in the first place that told me of the fake Mother Shipton that was doing the rounds, this led me to this site in the first place. In all fairness, I could only say good things about this seller. His collection is very impressive and he is a genuine collector/seller... and personally, I was quite taken with this machine myself (although there is another he has that I preferred but it's not for sale...yet). Had it been working, I may well have snapped his hand off although I am really only interested in true (working) vintage but still, this is still a very unique item, even if it was rehashed in the 90's from a 40's Bryants postcard machine it's still very intriguing and is a very unique piece.

As for the seller in Hull, he has another item listed I am interested in but is outside of my usual interests and current available space. I have however had the strength tester he's selling bookmarked on eBay for some time, only because I have a similar strength tester myself that I paid a lot less for and wanted to see how he faired with that.

As a newbie, I find it quite strange that this seems to be a very close knit community. In just a few posts on one thread, I've found links with two members already, and a further seller I have yet to meet; I've never experienced the internet being this powerful before. :-)
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

It's a shame the current seller still has the fortune teller listed on Ebay as "dates around the 1940s", as it clearly doesn't, especially given the £6,000 (not working) price tag.
I seem to remember it being on eBay some time before and being sold with 'provenance' that it appeared in an old auction catalogue. However the original catalogue image referred to appeared to have been cropped on either side when reproduced to make the machine appear a taller and slimmer cabinet such as this postcard vender cabinet and with the similar 'Book of Life' decal showing, attempting to pass off this machine as the same one in the catalogue. I don't believe this machine is the same one as in the auction catalogue.
Looking at the mechanism in this one it is modern and quite crudely put together, not difficult to repair though.
longbobongo

Post by longbobongo »

I'm the seller of the fortune teller. And as moon river clearly knows more about the machine then me. Have you seen the machine in person or have you seen the auction catalogue or have a copy to be able to compare the two? With your comments with nothing to back up that I'm trying to pass as the same in the catalogue. Show me some evidence apart from an opinion that this is a different machine... from at best your memory. As far as I know 3 post card vendor fortune teller machines were made all 3 with different themes.

The case is clearly is a Bryans post card vendor from 1940s. The mechanism may not be all that old. The head hands and decor... who knows, I guess that's a matter of opinion to judge yourself.

As for the price tag. 6000 maybe it is too much. Maybe it's not. Depends how much you want it and how desperate I may or may not be to sell it. I have had offers on the machine. I'm sure many people on here have followed the many machines I have sold over the last 24 months and priced to sell and sold.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I chose my words carefully. I have seen the machine before, and the old auction catalogue.
I originally started this thread about the fake Meurice fortune teller which eventually sold on eBay for around £300.
My comments were made in relation to your fortune teller's previous appearance on Ebay which I assumed was a different seller?
brigham

Post by brigham »

The 'other' Bryan's postcard vendor/fortune teller is now offered on eBay.
I've only seen the outside of this one, but it's very impressive, as long as you accept it for what it is.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

For the life of me I can't understand why the cheaper one of the two hasn't been repaired and offered for sale working, it's not exactly hard to do ( or have done).
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Anyone got a picture? Can't seem to find the one on ebay. 🙄🤔
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

!!><!! firewood
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

jimmycowman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:17 am Anyone got a picture? Can't seem to find the one on ebay.
This is the cheaper one... www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-fortune-teller-p ... 3750606903
Attachments
bookoflife.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

watlingman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:50 am !!><!! firewood
Certainly not 'firewood'. These have their own place in the history of our coin op hobby, even if from base cabinets converted by Cliff Mills for operating pieces. Showmen and arcade operators were always innovative and Fortune Tellers have always been great money takers single site or arcade.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

jimmycowman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:17 am Anyone got a picture? Can't seem to find the one on ebay. 🙄🤔
The other one
Attachments
MZandra.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

Does an original Postcard Vendor exist?
If not, one of these could form the basis of...