Coin operated fortune teller on ebay

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Coin operated fortune teller on ebay

Post by pennymachines »

To reassure you further, I've placed your machine in the Fortune Teller category of the Museum.
What size card does it take?
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

Thank you very much. That is greatly appreciated. When I learned there was a fake going around, I was concerned but I’m very relived to have the original:-)

I do have one card that fits which I believe to be from a palmestry machine that was also made by the same company at the time. The card measures 5.3cm by 3.3cm and is printed on fairly thick card.
I have included pictures. If anyone knows what would have been printed on the original ‘Mother Shipton’ cards perhaps a reproduction could be made. Many thanks.
Attachments
03B46484-AD03-476C-9480-5E93D752BC50a.jpg
53A645A9-5639-45A4-B335-FFD9DDD6CFEDa.jpg
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

The fortune teller you recently bought was from a friend of mine and I have known this machine for 25 years. He had a very substantial collection started more than 40 years ago but sold most of it in 2000. I believe this was the last machine he kept. It is most likely to be made around 1900. Maurice were known for printing cards. They may have also made machines but this has the look of "a one off" machine probably for use in a public house. The Argyle name on the top is for a maker of fortune teller machines f a more substantial construction usually polished wood with printed glass or silvered card. They produced cards and machines from around 1900 to about 1920 and most likely brought out Maurice around 1900. The card you illustrate is from around 1930 and is nothing to do with either company. I will post some pictures of some originals soon but need assistance of my son to do so. When you bought this machine I understand you were given my phone number to contact about cards. I have not heard from you?

Regards the fake machine from Deal - this was resold at the Elephant House auction of 15/2/2015 for a hammer price of £90. Still about £70 too much in my opinion.
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

Thank you so much for your reply. You are 100% correct, the dealer did have a very large collection that he'd sold in 2000, which was reassuring that this was the original. I just wanted to clear this up as another dealer looked at a picture of the machine and was unsure if it was the fake or not. I was fairly sure it was genuine.
I was given your number by the dealer however on the way back I had somehow lost this in the van I'd hired before I'd had a chance to save it. I will try and send you a private message with my number and would very much appreciate it if the cards could be made or if originals can be found? Many thanks:-)
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've updated the Museum entry to reflect Sweetmeats' observations and have tentatively attributed it to Meurice & Co. because their name appears on the large plate, lower front of the game. Is this enamel? I've also put the entry under your username djjfive, in case you wish to edit it or add more information.
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

This is correct. I have included a close up of the manufacturers name at the bottom. I was unsure of the maker as the plate above is from a different company but with this new information it is all falling into place now.
Attachments
7D273913-0636-4769-8A53-C53AA7D67F50a.jpg
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

The large plate at the bottom is behind glass, my best guess from the look of it is it's made from wood.
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

My son is now home from work and can now add the fortune telling cards The first three are all Meurice and all late 1890s. They came with an old fortune teller with 6 drawers. I believe a picture is in the museum. If not, I will add it. It has a picture of Victorian postman and the second picture, and was made by Fuller of London. I brought it from Christies in London 20 years ago (where does the time go!) It contained about 150 Victorian cards, including about 50 Meurice cards in sets of ten. I have never seen a single card since. The sizes are 72 x 48mm.

Meurice2.jpg

Meurice3.jpg

Meurice1.jpg

The only other Meurice cards I have seen are a set of ten love letter cards for which very similar ones are also known by Argyle, supporting the idea that they took over J. Meurice's business.

The following pictures are Argyle mother Shipton style cards that may have been used in your machine. The silvered card is from a set of ten. I have seen all ten but only have six. The next two are folders: the red one is the only one I have seen; the green one I have a small number of. They both measure 70 x 60mm closed. Should anyone reading this have any cards early and/or unusual and interested in swapping please contact me.
Attachments
Argyle1.jpg
Shipton1.jpg
Shipton2.jpg
Shipton3.jpg
Shipton4.jpg
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

Thank you very much for that. That is fantastic if you ever want to sell these please do keep me in mind. Or alternatively, if you wouldn't mind reproductions being made then feel free to get in touch and we could perhaps come to a deal on that? I would love to be able to fill the machine with the original style of these cards. Many thanks:-)
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Nice fortune teller on eBay at the moment. £5000
Attachments
_20180916_123832.JPG
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Couldn't quickly find the listing, but looks just like the cabinet used on the prototype Bryans Postcard machine? - Ah, ok, just read this on the Melwright site: "A sales leaflet and operators' leaflet was produced, and a number of empty cases were in storage at the factory, so it is likely that the design suffered from mechanical, operational, or perhaps legal problems."
Attachments
postcrd2.jpg
postcrd2.jpg (8.37 KiB) Viewed 6119 times
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

332807893236. Number.. Seems a lot of money with it not working......
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thanks but I still can't see it, presumably because I'm overseas and seller has ticked local pickup only?
JC

Post by JC »

The ebay seller states that the machine dates from the 1940s - it doesn't. It is one of a very small number of fortune teller machines produced by Cliff Mills in the '90s, utilising Bryans postcard vendor cases. Given that it doesn't even work, I'd say it's ten times over-priced.
brigham

Post by brigham »

I've seen this machine, it's a good looking bit of gear, but the electrics are the give-away; painfully modern.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

The same seller is trying to sell a strength tester for 1100 !which has been on ebay for the last 2 years 😁 lol
Attachments
_20180917_085537.JPG
brigham

Post by brigham »

I'm not sure that the seller in Hull is the same as the seller in Skipsea.
The one in Hull is simply using eBay as a shop-front for the machines also appearing in the picture.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

On closer inspection it looks like it's a different seller :smash: !!JUNK!!
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

Oddly enough, the seller of the above machine from Skipsea was in fact the very same chap who I was buying the bandit from in the first place that told me of the fake Mother Shipton that was doing the rounds, this led me to this site in the first place. In all fairness, I could only say good things about this seller. His collection is very impressive and he is a genuine collector/seller... and personally, I was quite taken with this machine myself (although there is another he has that I preferred but it's not for sale...yet). Had it been working, I may well have snapped his hand off although I am really only interested in true (working) vintage but still, this is still a very unique item, even if it was rehashed in the 90's from a 40's Bryants postcard machine it's still very intriguing and is a very unique piece.

As for the seller in Hull, he has another item listed I am interested in but is outside of my usual interests and current available space. I have however had the strength tester he's selling bookmarked on eBay for some time, only because I have a similar strength tester myself that I paid a lot less for and wanted to see how he faired with that.

As a newbie, I find it quite strange that this seems to be a very close knit community. In just a few posts on one thread, I've found links with two members already, and a further seller I have yet to meet; I've never experienced the internet being this powerful before. :-)
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

It's a shame the current seller still has the fortune teller listed on Ebay as "dates around the 1940s", as it clearly doesn't, especially given the £6,000 (not working) price tag.
I seem to remember it being on eBay some time before and being sold with 'provenance' that it appeared in an old auction catalogue. However the original catalogue image referred to appeared to have been cropped on either side when reproduced to make the machine appear a taller and slimmer cabinet such as this postcard vender cabinet and with the similar 'Book of Life' decal showing, attempting to pass off this machine as the same one in the catalogue. I don't believe this machine is the same one as in the auction catalogue.
Looking at the mechanism in this one it is modern and quite crudely put together, not difficult to repair though.