Essex Auction

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
scorpa163

Essex Auction

Post by scorpa163 »

Just browsing Saleroom.com.
Has anybody else seen Reeman Dansie auction on monday 17th March
A collection of rare large arcade machines on sale. Too far to go from Yorkshire to Essex.
How does the horse racing machine work?
treefrog

Re: Essex Auction

Post by treefrog »

Went to look today as it is my local auction, mostly not my things as the bigger items are huge and do not come apart, so you would need a lot of people and kit to move...The table top cranes are in a sorry state, missing bits and rotted cabinets.....These items I believe came from an Arcade owned by Fred Marshall who ran the oldest arcade in Clacton, Magic City. His father set it up in the 20's. Fred died in 2011, so I guess some of his stuff got stuck in storage as odd items like financial records are for sale, sadly lacking much machine paraphernalia.
Most of the big items are by Ahrens. One of the 6 sided machines "Torpedo Bomb" is unusual, with hanging fans/motors hanging over tilt mechanisms to release awards.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

its a great shame for those of us that like the bigger machines ( such as those at Essex) weren't in the Coventry auction instead of that 'Dracula' piece of tat
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

should that be Tuesday the 17th?
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

some how I think this will go for more than £200
Attachments
1214.jpg
1214.jpg (53.01 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Nice punchball there. Be interesting how much it makes. !PUZZLED!
Attachments
1209.jpg
1209.jpg (35.27 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Has the crane been cut down or were they made like that?
Attachments
1211.jpg
1211.jpg (50.52 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

They have a base that could be unbolted like many of the '30s era cranes.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

This model is called Jewel Box and was made as a counter top machine. It was never intended to have a base, although I did make a base for mine because I didn't have anything else to put it on... :!?!: I can't believe there are three in one sale !!!!!!!!! :o
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The one at the Elephant on Sunday was complete and looked to be in good nick. It did not fetch a huge amount, in fact none of the cranes did. These ones at Reeman's are seriously rough, rotten cabinets and one is missing all the top crane parts... so bid with caution if you have not viewed....

So I was mentioning to Mr PM the other day that on another thread about five years ago he mentioned the Buckleys do not come up often in the UK, and now we have five come up over two months......
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Hmmm!
treefrog wrote:These items I believe came from an Arcade owned by Fred Marshall who ran the oldest arcade in Clacton, Magic City. His father set it up in the 20's. Fred died in 2011, so I guess some of his stuff got stuck in storage as odd items like financial records are for sale, sadly lacking much machine paraphernalia.

Nice bit of investigative work Mr T. I remember the Ahren's machines in another arcade. The name escapes me but the owner of that arcade was Ted Harrison who later purchased Clacton Pier. We used to talk a lot about old slots.

The reason these machines are in such poor condition is because of a flood about 10 years ago (yes, it really was that recent) which caused the roof to collapse. The "precious machines" were soaked and in a terrible condition for ages. The suddenly, overnight the machines disappeared so I spoke to a local arcade owner who told me who owned them. The "owner" denied all knowledge of the machines having even existed. At first, I thought it was an insurance scam but just a couple of years back I was told that the owner was Mr Harrison and not another arcade owner who had thrown me off the scent. When I heard, I tried to contact him but he had recently passed away. And to think we had spent so much time talking about old slot machines and I had never realised that the machines were his.

As Treefrog says, and yes, he is being genuine these are in pretty tatty condition. Now you know why! Some were stripped for spares and in puddles the rest were left flood damaged.

I won't be bidding on any of these machines. My wife has told me! But in any case, they are too big and too rotten. I might well pop along to watch the sale though.

Happy days.....
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Sadly, I haven't yet worked out the connection to Fred Marshall unless Ted purchased Marshall's from him. I thought Magic City was owned by Billy Peak who I also know. Very confusing but I will get to the bottom of it though! !!THUMBSX2!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Most of the lots are associated with Marshalls Amusements or Magic City, including names of the machines to the paper work. Some of the machines appear to have been stored in the arcade opposite Magic City, Gaiety Arcade......

The big machines seem in good nick, excluding the missing parts, the Bryan's Square is poor and the Cranes....Suspect Fred owned more than Magic City and probably had an Arcade Called Marshalls, given one of the lots is a double set of neons with the name.....

Always like a bit of history with lots, which is sadly lost too often when sold on
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Thanks TF. Bad news, I was rushed to hospital yesterday suffering from a heart attack. Blasted nuisance as I really wanted to be at the auction. Now I'm scuppered for Sunday's auction too. Surgery tomorrow so all going well I will make John Morleys auction in May. Hopefully!!!! BTW how did the auction go? Greg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Strewth Cheeky! That news is a bit urgent isn't it?

Best wishes from The Lincolnshire contingent.
BP
JC

Post by JC »

Yes, sorry to hear that Greg. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Good god, more than a nuisance I would think....that really is not good, hopefully all goes well with the op and recovery goes well......

For you reference, went to the auction today, as did many others which I was surprised at, but the machines all went for fair old prices.....top of the list was the Billiards at £6k including commission, I was told it stayed in the UK which was good, as did the very large 6 sided Ahren machines, which for a reason unknown to me I helped the new owner get them home, which is the reason for the late post as only just got back. There was I thinking I am only 10 mins away from the auction. All I bought was some old coin-op signs and an old yale key cutter, which I thought would be handy.

Anyway Greg, good luck fella !THUMBS!
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Cheeky wrote:Thanks TF. Bad news, I was rushed to hospital yesterday suffering from a heart attack. Blasted nuisance as I really wanted to be at the auction. Now I'm scuppered for Sunday's auction too. Surgery tomorrow so all going well I will make John Morleys auction in May. Hopefully!!!! BTW how did the auction go? Greg
As excuses go this has to be the best one yet for not attending Coventry!
Seriously though, hope all goes well and you are soon back to your cheeky old self. Glad to see that despite having a heart attack and surgery today you still managed to log on to P M and post! True British stiff upper lip, describing it as a " blasted nuisance" ! We are all thinking of you.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

best wishes and a quick recovery from the south of England !!THUMBSX2!!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

best wishes and a quick recovery from "up north" !!BRRRR!!