Jennings Comet

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
treefrog

Jennings Comet

Post by treefrog »

Apologies if one of you own one of these, but this has to be the ugliest Jennings Slot, a Comet Criss Cross. As with many of these late machines, I wonder if these were recased Jennings with the Chief logo on the front. The mechanism looks to be a Jennings, but has lost it's escalator and instead uses a modern coin mechanism (although this has been replaced by bits of mecanno or something.

The problem is the case is just so dull, square and plain. I am always intrigued with the number of British coined low end machines that have ended up in the States.

Anyone know if these were recased by another firm or are genuine Jennings? I assume they date from the Galaxy period, mid to late '60s, although the seller claims it is from the 1920s.
JENNINGS COMET
Attachments
jenning2.jpg
jennings-plain.jpg
daveslot

Re: Jennings Comet

Post by daveslot »

I think this is a genuine Jennings made in Chicago for export to here, though a Galaxy front door looks as though it would be a straight swap for the Comet one.
As for British slots appearing in the States, large numbers were sent in the 1970s. I knew 1 exporter who sent a full container a month to the States.
longbobongo

Post by longbobongo »

Mmm... it's not their best work, I think it's the ugliest slot I have ever seen. Unless anyone else can beat it (not literally).
raj

Post by raj »

This may be :

Type of the machine : Slot Machine
Comet © 1964 Jennings & Co. [O.D. Jennings].

from http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=comet& ... l&id=24817 (no picture) which would make it a US production, probably made from bits of scrap recycled Jennings mechs.

The other 'Jennings Comet' is from 1927 and is a fortune teller, nothing to do with this, rather awful machine.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

This is a luxury ocean going yacht that Jennings made around the same time ........They called it Skippy

skip.jpg

Badpenny
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Badpenny wrote:This is a luxury ocean going yacht that Jennings made around the same time
Badpenny
Designed at the same time, yet it's so much prettier than the bandit ;-)
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

How does he steer HMS Skippy? And those valuable items on the deck; didn't I see them in Badpenny's shed?? :-o
coppinpr

Late Jennings on ebay

Post by coppinpr »

Merged with topic above - Site Admin

I'm quite new to collecting slots, so can people tell me about this Jennings on ebay? I'm guessing it's a very late model; is it rare; is it any good? Not really my style but I'm interested.
jennings.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Late Jennings on ebay

Post by badpenny »

I've seen a few of these on eeby jeeby Bay over the years and have always thought them to be about the ugliest thing imaginable. I found it phenomenal that a market leader like Jennings having produced iconic designs like The Governor or The Club Chief allowed someone to convince them that The Comet was the way to go. I guess accountants and cash flow must have played a large part.

However that one is the smartest version I've seen and does catch the eye. I still wouldn't bother arguing for a space in the living room for one, but I guess that's down to personal taste. :cool:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I agree with BP, one of the dullest bandits, although this does look good from the piccie as it has had a re-chrome.....

See thread above* already covering this topic and showing what they usually look like and believed to be made here for for the British market. I guess the Americans could afford something more classy like the Chief or Governor. Problem is this one is missing bits, slides and top cover and gods knows what else... The handle from ones I have seen before normally like the one top of this thread.

* topics merged - Site Admin
raj

Post by raj »

Unless it really floats your boat, it's probably worth more as spares than as a complete machine, in my opinion.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

I agree, I scrapped 3 of these last year for the mechs, though you cannot fit a jackpot to these as the baseplate has been shortened.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

It is indeed ugly, but I can't agree it's the ugliest slot ever. It has a certain Swingin' Sixties look to it, especially when polished. The (dis)honour must surely go to the Aristocrat Starlite, a machine as unappealing as the near-beer of similar name.
Attachments
aristocrat-starlite.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well it just goes to show how wrong we all are, as I guess maybe someone out there probably likes the Comet, the Sheerline (Starlite) style of bandits is one of my favourites, I have over 10 of them, probably every variant, including one with a matching steel original cabinet, to me they epitomise the style of the sleek swinging sixties more than any other bandit. It is a bit like dogs, most people like their Labradors and Spaniels, but gawp at a Bull Terrier, but to most they are ugly, to some they are beautiful, which keeps going the wonderful selection we have available. I guess if people like me did not exist, the Starlite would have been scrapped a long time....

Removed bandit picture
Attachments
bullterrier.jpg
Last edited by treefrog on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
iggis

Strange looking Jennings on eBay

Post by iggis »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Is this a machine that was manufactured like this or is it a home brew? Looks like some bits missing from mech.
image.jpeg

treefrog

Re: Strange looking Jennings on eBay

Post by treefrog »

This one is not rusty, so that is a start. These are Jennings Comets, although I have never been convinced Jennings made the whole thing, but there is a thread covering these over the last 6 years. * Merged above - Site Admin.

Generally not worth more than £150........so wayyyyyy over priced.... A lot are broken down for the mechanisms...
iggis

Re: Strange looking Jennings on eBay

Post by iggis »

Thanks, coin-op stuff on eBay usually is overpriced.