Parkers Carousel

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
hiflyer

Parkers Carousel

Post by hiflyer »

Sorry badpenny, my post was supposed to go in the Elephant House thread. My fingers ain't want they used to be. If someone wants to move it please do. Thanks for the response. My interest in this item is that I bought it (or one) at Coventry for £550 which I thought was a sensible price. I moved it on recently for a small profit but I am assured that the EH one sold on Sunday was not the same one, although I haven't been able to verify that yet. Both would appear to be pretty well brand new as was the 'art deco' one sold at the last EH auction which sold for a similar figure and was strangely similar to one also sold at Coventry last year. Again, I wonder if it was the same machine or another doppelganger?
raj

Re: Parkers Carousel

Post by raj »

it may or may not have been sold for that price, need to check the auction results. If it did indeed reach that rather heady price, then it becomes 'form' for a Parkers in the results. This might influence any future bidder to assume that it is an acceptable price, and bid accordingly. A bit like the classic car scams in the 90's, when hundreds of people paid top dollar & lost out when the market makers cashed in early. After a period of time, these top prices might well become the norm, or the folding money might move into something else. Buyer beware !!
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

did sell for this, but its like all auctions, 2 people wanted it, seems they like as new machines. some things do well others are giveaway, since when was a riveria worth as much as a decent governor !PUZZLED!
jingle

Post by jingle »

The thing is about machines
Well nice machines,,i see it like this and I beleive lots
Of others do to,,,if you see something you have never seen before
And you like it even if it's 1200 quid,,
You think I can make 1200 quid next week or even anytime ,
Money's everywhere ,,machines arnt,
you can't buy that machine again you think,,
So you spend your money on it,what ever it is,,
I have done this lots and even other antiques
That I have thought,,never see that again.. :tut
,,i also believe there is a lot of new buyers
Who know fickin nothing about the hobby
But love the look so they buy
Which is scary for the old ones who
Have a lot of early vintage stuff like me and tuthers
They have invested in thinking there going to do well anyway
And the next thing it makes less than a nostalgia machine
Because of ignorance :evil:
I do hope am wrong,and them lot begin to read some books
On the stuff
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

I think the phrase 'a fool and his money are soon parted' come in to action here......... looking at the results a nice bmc went for 460 and the repro looking parkers for 1220 does not make sense . ..... im sure there's a market for some one to start knocking repro's out again.........
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I doubt this machine was bought with the thought of being able to recover the money at a future auction,someone wanted it, this was a typical auction sale,as Dave said two people wanted the machine, the sellers dream. As we have said many times on the forum the value is only want the buyer wants to pay, if another comes up at the next auction it could well go for half that amount as there would,in theory, be only one rich bidder left wanting it.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

There was a chap called Ray, who I once bought some slots off, who either restored/refurbished or had some NOS of parts of Parkers machines at some point, however this was probably 10 or more years ago? His location [maybe coincidental] was in North Wales. He had a Mills QT on a sixpence, first one I had ever seen, and wanted to buy it right there, but he would not sell it (quite right too, as I too, wouldn't have sold it to me either). Thankfully many years later a very very nice chap sold me his 6d Mills QT, along with many other of his machines.

Of course, since then many asked me to sell mine to them... but like Ray, I didnt sell it on either... One day I will sell it too and then that person can look after it for a few more years before in turn, moving it on to another enthusiast...

GP
polaris

Post by polaris »

Supposing these machines were put together with parts acquired approx 20 years ago by someone, is the artwork original to Parkers circa 1960s or again knocked up to marry up with cabinet?