Telstar

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coppinpr

Telstar

Post by coppinpr »

Plain but interesting. Never seen this machine before.
Telstar Arcade Old Penny Slot Machine.
Attachments
telstar4.JPG
telstar3.JPG
telstar2.JPG
telstar1.JPG
treefrog

Re: Telstar

Post by treefrog »

Very similar to Jamiesons machines, if not by them, of the same style. Things that concerned me were the coin entry looked a later add on and the main graphics at the front I am sure state the payouts in pence.... Wonder what has happened here.
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

I think the difference between coin insert on "d" and winning display on "p" plus the "Telstar" glass appearing to be too big for the aperture might be enough to alert even my novice eye.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I don't understand you.
It plays on old pennies and it pays out old pennies, it doesn't mention np.

As you say part of the graphic is missing as it's tucked behind the woodwork, but what grabbed me was varnished wood inside where you don't benefit from applying it.

BP
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Don't worry BP we understand when you get to your age things become more challenging and the old carrots stop working....(now I have to admit maybe it is my eyes that have lost it).

The other tell tell sign is the hand drawn award at the top..... My guess is maybe a machine originally on 1D, converted to 1p and then a collector conversion back. Who knows?
!!HYPNO!!
Nice theme though and, oddly, I like the pink Formica.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Am I having hot chocolate tonight? .....They said there'd be hot chocolate! !!UHOH!!
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I think I'll stick with my Bryans Bullion.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I think people are getting confused by the front panel because the photo is so shoddy it's making the dots or dashes below the "D" look like a "P" - do you get me?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I get you. If it was on new penny the top prize might be 10p, but it displays the standard 12d or shilling as 1/-. And the hopper is too big for new pennies. I don't think the awards at the top look more (or less) hand-drawn than the other graphics.
!!HOORAY!! to Gameswat, some wooden spectacles to Treefrog & Jonesthegarage and a big cup of cocoa to BP. No awards to the photographer.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I bought a Drop-a-Copper from a guy near me and turns out he's the man selling the Telstar so took a good look at it. No maker's names at all anywhere, the art work does look hand done but very well done, the coin entry is odd with slots twice as long as needed, the door doesn't match the case. Inside is professionally laid out, all working except one of the rotary actuators drive motors is not running. He had no bidders on ebay.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I went to view the machine on Saturday as well as I was at the end of another monster trip picking up bandits from Cheshire to Herts to Eastbourne, so given I liked the looks agreed to have a look.

As per Paul the Cabinet was a later made up item and the rear electronics panel looks to have been cut from the original and stuck to the new rear. The machine did look crude in some ways but almost certainly made by a company rather than scratch built. Unfortunately one of the rotor motors did not work, so decided to leave. If in original cabinet I may have taken a chance as I still liked the look - great theme.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

So often we have fun watching machines going around from person to person, auction to auction where people think they have a bargain or can get it going etc etc.......you see them in the regular auctions, but this one is a classic. The Telstar discussed in this thread 3 years ago, which both Coppin and myself viewed at the time and walked away.....since it has been in at least 3 or 4 auctions houses across the south coast and up to Bristol. I presume the latest buyer has decided to stick on eBay and am unclear if anything has been done to address the faults, as the description is a little risky in suggesting it looks operational, but needs old coinage to test.

The only thing I loved with this machine was the graphics, beyond that !PUZZLED!

So the journey continues....we should put a tracker on it..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1960-039-s-T ... 2518.l4276
1960's TELSTAR Penny Slot Machine.

Space Age Fun.

Lights up and appears to be in working order. You will need old coins to see working.

Dimensions 21" x 10" x 29"

... On 21-May-19 at 08:41:12 BST, seller added the following information:

Please take note of my wording when I say appears to be working. You will need a supply of predecimal coins to check.
Attachments
telstar.jpg