Naughty!

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Naughty!

Post by pennymachines »

On eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :FSEL:US:1
Described as CAILLE BROTHER'S ANTIQUE ROULETTE SLOT MACHINE and CAILLE BEN HUR SLOT MACHINE... BUILT IN 1908.
It's not. It's a Clement Caille Commercial built in Britain sometime after 1934 to take the old penny, which happens to match the 50 cent. The 50 stop mechanism might be from Caille, but the case and fittings are not.

It annoys me when vendors, presenting themselves as experts, mislead in this way. I've emailed him, so it'll be interesting to see if he posts a correction. The price currently stands at $1,801.00. One of these sold a few weeks ago at Sarratt for £340. Americans usually pay a lot less for British machines than we do.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

No item description correction or reply to my email. What a surprise!
Sold for $2,510.00! Anyone who bids this much without doing some research deserves what they get I suppose.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Penny Arcade Machine- Antique Vintage Victorian eBay

Post by badpenny »

Just spotted this really rare machine on eBay: -
Penny Arcade Machine- Antique Vintage Victorian- Slot Item number: 190139995213

Not only is it electric and have a 1957 plaque on it but it's "Antique" "Vintage" and "Victorian"

Wow !!!
markymark

Just because.....

Post by markymark »

Has anyone noticed how everyone seems to say about buyers paying more for something than its worth? I know its wrong for sellers to mislead buyers, but sometimes it is just a mistake. I remember two sellers at an auction a few years ago who both stood there arguing about a certain item and its background and year!!!! None of us can be experts all the time!
If someone pays a huge amount for something that people in the "know" realise its too much to pay.. so what! If that person was a true collector, they would know what is fake, or what current prices are, and do research! But has it ever occured to people that sometimes people just want the item! And don't care what they pay for it! A well-off banker friend of mine will pay lots for things he wants, even if he is getting ripped off, he just tells me, "what do i care, i can afford it, and i wanted it!", Im always telling him to search the internet for cheaper prices, but, he doesn't care.
Some of us are not true collectors of slot machines, but we have a desire to own one just because we like the looks of it, make or re-sale price is of no concern. Many of you will realise I bought a Sega, most people tell me its got the wrong payouts, its been doctored... etc... but you know what, I love the little beast, I think its great! Gives me hours of pleasure.. and i have no interest in its value in 20 years time!
I admire all you guys on these forums for your pure knowledge of slots, and envy each one of you for your quality machines you own.. I just cant afford them (wish i could - hence the tatty Sega i bought!).
Bottom line... some people just want a mechanical slot for amusement or decor in the home, and not as an investment or its true history!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

............. well said!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Guest wrote:My comment regarding the tin of beans was intended to hi-light the fact that no one values (and therefore pays) more than they see in anything. So, even by your arguement (i.e. once in while you may see a value in something that someone else does'nt see), equally, once in a while, someone else will see a value in a machine that you don't see. Hence, values are subjective. However, in my response to Markymark's comment, my point is that in reality, unless you are an overpaid banker, the value of money has a tangiable aspect and so, even if you have a 'romantic' enthusiasm for the value of machines, truthfully you have to try and see a realistic value in a machine before you part with your cash.

..........you might, but you can only speak for yourself (or as a guest) I often buy something when I'm a bit strapped for cash simply because I know it'll cheer me up.
Signed
For.....By........ and on Behalf of: -

zenataomm (who is really Jeremy)
JC

Post by JC »

Yes, many who have posted on this subject seem to have missed a fundamental point - a clear matter of 'right and wrong'. Some may think that to describe, for instance, a not particularly desirable Olly Whales allwin as '1920s' is OK - someone will buy it regardless of how old it is. But it doesn't make it right.
My real gripe is with misrepresentation (deliberate or otherwise). There have been a number of machines offered on Ebay which have either had ridiculous dates attributed, or incorrect manufacturer etc., and when I have politely informed the seller that their information is incorrect, I've been told to mind my own business. It therefore follows that if some sellers (and we all know who some of them are) are content to misrepresent, or damn right lie, then there must be an alterior motive.......and that aint right. It's plain dishonest.