Octagonal Mutoscopes

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
treefrog

Octagonal Mutoscopes

Post by treefrog »

Don't see these very often, but two in one week. First one on eBay, but no sale there with non original stand at £2500

Then my local auction had a green one with more authentic stand that sold just over £2500.

I did go to view the Reemans one and always expect some issues with cast iron machines, this one having broken edging along one side, a missing light/inspection plate at the top and I was not convinced by the side door, looked a potential replacement, certainly the hinges were not original. Seen the one at the elephant a while back have a similar issue where someone broke the cast hinge. Lastly the reel was in a poor state.

I guess one was paying for the stand....

Big old beast, would prefer a tinny myself

Late 19th / early 20th century Penny in the Slot 'What the Butler Saw' machine
Attachments
red-muto.jpg
green-muto1.jpg
gameswat

Re: Octagonal Mutoscopes

Post by gameswat »

That green stand looks like it's from the period though I don't remember ever seeing one like it? The missing top piece should just be a piece of frosted glass to let light in. The adverts show small "A" frame cast marquees that may have been lit somehow, or possibly only sat partly over the glass to let ambient light in? They are very rarely found. Haven't seen a machine in person for so long I've forgotten a lot I once knew. !PUZZLED! The side doors are incredibly fragile and very rarely turn up without damage of some kind. Seems like someone got a good deal.
ddstoys

Re: Octagonal Mutoscopes

Post by ddstoys »

Same I'd only ever seen one for sale so I bought it then a week later an absolutely identical one shows up in another State for the exact same
price. :lol:
Attachments
muto3a.jpg