Anglo-American Tivoli

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
gameswat

Anglo-American Tivoli

Post by gameswat »

anglo.jpg

I also stumbled onto this gem a few days ago and did a little research as was thinking of bidding. As far as I can tell it's most probably from the earlier Tivoli design, supposedly Patented 1892 according to Costa. Yet I couldn't find an earlier Patent for anything by Haydon & Urry than 1893, that was a coin mech improvement of some kind. Costa says in his book that H&U Patented the Tivoli in 1892 and it originally paid in cigars. Shortly afterwards they moved to tokens, which is what the ebay machine vended. And this playfield certainly appears simpler than any others I remember seeing. There is also the Registered Design lozenge painted to the middle playfield, though without the numbers it should have in the corners. This type of mark was used only until 1883, when they changed to just the RD 00000 number system. The fact this playfield has the generic lozenge design would imply it was still fresh in peoples minds and an early 1890's date. There are two unused coin return holes on the back of the playfield either side of the token mech chutes. But no unused screw holes around them, maybe they are on the front hidden by new art? Possibly the machine was re-vamped and altered a year or two after manufacture with newer art on the front, or possibly the factory was using pre-made parts to make newer variations as they went along depending on what was popular or not? I decided to pass the info on to a good friend and he tried but was underbidder. Antique Anglo-American 1 Penney Trade Stimulator American Flag British Wood Case
Attachments
LOZENGE1842.jpg
LOZENGE1842.jpg (5.6 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
lozenge data.gif
lozenge data.gif (5.22 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
anglo 3.jpg
anglo 2.jpg
treefrog

Re: Anglo-American Tivoli

Post by treefrog »

When I first looked at the picture I thought this was a modern conversion, but looking closer it looks like some age to it, maybe during wartime for troop entertainment, stands out and a little less apologies to say dull.. !!ESCAPE!! Looks good