Fugly!

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
gameswat

Re: Fugly!

Post by gameswat »

Doesn't look that bad to me in original paint? Simple, but decent deco style.
Attachments
star vendor 2.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

what leads you to believe that is an original paint scheme ? The only book reference I can find seems to think it was always a nasty dark bronze colour
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

coppinpr wrote:what leads you to believe that is an original paint scheme ?
Ummmm, the fact I spent several minutes searching online and came up with a bunch of machines that all share the same stencilled graphics.......... !PUZZLED!
Attachments
penny play 5.jpg
penny play.jpg
penny play.jpg (10.89 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
penny play 4.jpg
penny play 4.jpg (9.25 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
penny play 3.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

you might be right(I too have seen all these before) but Im sure both you and I could reproduce those stencils with ease ,the blue one im sure is not original.
There is a small ,non lockable flip out door on the left side,anyone know what it was for? filling the gum ball supply?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Bueschel shows two side by side just like this in his Vintage Trade Stimulators book. The only pic I posted that definitely looks re-painted is the third example with bright turquoise blue outer and obvious sharper angles to the stencils. But it was obviously based on the original graphic.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Most Trade Stimulators that vend a gum ball have a small latched or swing aside door for refilling the gum balls.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

coppinpr wrote:Here is a machine that takes the "ugly" award in at least two categories, ugliest trade stim and ugliest Jennings machine. This one is their upgraded "Star Vendor" model with gum ball vendor(still in place on this one), they were a massive failure partly because the bronzed case they came in made them look rusty from day one!!
Coppin, what makes you think these machines were a "massive" failure? Because judging by the decent survival rate of well used machines it would seem they did an admirable job in service.
coppinpr wrote:what leads you to believe that is an original paint scheme ? The only book reference I can find seems to think it was always a nasty dark bronze colour
I take it you're talking about the Vintage Trade Stimulator book by Bueschel? Scan below. He doesn't claim they only came in that one colour, but just talking about the two examples he has used as examples for the book. Possibly it was the introduction colour, but many machines were offered in multiple colorways so no reason to distrust all the photos of what appear to be very original untouched cases in other metallic variations. And since the two machines Bueschel shows are in very original aged condition, it's obvious they didn't look this "rusty" - or grim in his words to begin with. Metallic paints usually contain particles of metal to achieve the effect, alloy in silver, brass in gold, etc, so they tend to age quite badly due to tarnishing and corrosion. Plus the wrinkle finish paint is notorious for holding dirt like no other paint. Brand new this colorway was obviously nice enough for the company to offer. But looking at the other variations the bronze has fared worst of all, though all the metallics have aged and faded after 80 years. I've seen this happen many times over with all types of antiques and vintage items that have lost their original appeal due to poor aging.
coppinpr wrote:you might be right(I too have seen all these before) but Im sure both you and I could reproduce those stencils with ease ,the blue one im sure is not original.
I guess you're trying to claim all the colour variations other than the bronze and silver? are later fantasy paintwork? Most of those examples I showed looked perfectly fine to me as untouched original cases with good aged fading and distressing to various pieces. And I have no reason to believe the restored examples weren't based on the original colours.
Attachments
jennings penny.jpg