Fugly!

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Fugly!

Post by badpenny »

And this week's award for "What the ......" goes to: -

Aaaaarrrgh!
Aaaaarrrgh!

john t peterson

Re: Fugly!

Post by john t peterson »

Finally….a real easy one.

It's a coin-operated washing machine. You select the wash time by choice of coin slots advertising the number of minutes you can purchase. You watch TV on the center screen during the spin cycle.

J Peterson
Washed up in America
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

not so much "what is it" ,we know what it is,ugly!! more "what was it" (although this is only a copy I imagine) !PUZZLED!

the wheel looks like its from a Caille "Ben Hur"

I think this is what it SHOULD look like

caille ben hur.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

How about this Caille Ben Hur "Greyhound" Antique Slot Machine c. 1906 with an optimistic $3500 starting price, on ebay US at the moment?
Nice machine but description not so good, for a 1930s (or later) Clement & Whales game. The 50c coin badge (hmm... same size as an old British penny SkEpTiCaL ) is a clever touch.
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Can't believe the bids already placed....

That does it... All my machines will now be covered in Formica to hide all the wood rot and blemishes.
It would appear that Formica = high prices!!!!! :lol:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Many of these machines were butchered to stop the higher payouts.

As a consequence if you needed a spare mech, I guess it's still attractive.
As for the case ..... 5th November is only 5 months away.

:***
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Here is a machine that takes the "ugly" award in at least two categories, ugliest trade stim and ugliest Jennings machine. This one is their upgraded "Star Vendor" model with gum ball vendor(still in place on this one), they were a massive failure partly because the bronzed case they came in made them look rusty from day one!!

jennings trade sim.JPG

on ebayin the USA today on "buy it now" £250 inc delivery and import duty, if it had a handle I might have bought it just for the restoration challenge
Last edited by coppinpr on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Restoration Challenge?
What could you do to that in order to improve it and how much of a challenge would weighing it in for scrap be?

I'm more interested in the conversation that must have happened at Board level .......
"Ok Guys I'm onto a winner here. You'll remember how much of a fortune we got for making those curvy chrome plated beauties? ....... well forget them and cast your eyes on this ..........."

Were they all on drugs? !PUZZLED!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

for scrap...never, every machine has its place in slot machine history, your second point bears this out, was it board decisions like this that killed Jennings and others?
If so then this machine marks an important point in the evolution of slots
Actually this machine came out in 1936 so it was perhaps what convinced them to do better in the future !!IDEA!! .It was still a bad company decision and was not a side show but a major bid to move into the counter top machine market...they failed :roll:
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

coppinpr wrote:Here is a machine that takes the "ugly" award in at least two categories, ugliest trade stim and ugliest Jennings machine. This one is their upgraded "Star Vendor" model with gum ball vendor(still in place on this one), they were a massive failure partly because the bronzed case they came in made them look rusty from day one!!

jennings trade sim.JPG

on ebayin the USA today on "buy it now" £250 inc delivery and import duty, if it had a handle I might have bought it just for the restoration challenge
Interesting that it has the totaliser reel strips. I am sure I read somewhere these were usually for the UK market? If the machine could speak and the coin is the old 1D (rather than the US 'penny'), I'd bet this machine would have a story to tell.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Doesn't look that bad to me in original paint? Simple, but decent deco style.
Attachments
star vendor 2.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

what leads you to believe that is an original paint scheme ? The only book reference I can find seems to think it was always a nasty dark bronze colour
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

coppinpr wrote:what leads you to believe that is an original paint scheme ?
Ummmm, the fact I spent several minutes searching online and came up with a bunch of machines that all share the same stencilled graphics.......... !PUZZLED!
Attachments
penny play 5.jpg
penny play.jpg
penny play.jpg (10.89 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
penny play 4.jpg
penny play 4.jpg (9.25 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
penny play 3.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

you might be right(I too have seen all these before) but Im sure both you and I could reproduce those stencils with ease ,the blue one im sure is not original.
There is a small ,non lockable flip out door on the left side,anyone know what it was for? filling the gum ball supply?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Bueschel shows two side by side just like this in his Vintage Trade Stimulators book. The only pic I posted that definitely looks re-painted is the third example with bright turquoise blue outer and obvious sharper angles to the stencils. But it was obviously based on the original graphic.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Most Trade Stimulators that vend a gum ball have a small latched or swing aside door for refilling the gum balls.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

coppinpr wrote:Here is a machine that takes the "ugly" award in at least two categories, ugliest trade stim and ugliest Jennings machine. This one is their upgraded "Star Vendor" model with gum ball vendor(still in place on this one), they were a massive failure partly because the bronzed case they came in made them look rusty from day one!!
Coppin, what makes you think these machines were a "massive" failure? Because judging by the decent survival rate of well used machines it would seem they did an admirable job in service.
coppinpr wrote:what leads you to believe that is an original paint scheme ? The only book reference I can find seems to think it was always a nasty dark bronze colour
I take it you're talking about the Vintage Trade Stimulator book by Bueschel? Scan below. He doesn't claim they only came in that one colour, but just talking about the two examples he has used as examples for the book. Possibly it was the introduction colour, but many machines were offered in multiple colorways so no reason to distrust all the photos of what appear to be very original untouched cases in other metallic variations. And since the two machines Bueschel shows are in very original aged condition, it's obvious they didn't look this "rusty" - or grim in his words to begin with. Metallic paints usually contain particles of metal to achieve the effect, alloy in silver, brass in gold, etc, so they tend to age quite badly due to tarnishing and corrosion. Plus the wrinkle finish paint is notorious for holding dirt like no other paint. Brand new this colorway was obviously nice enough for the company to offer. But looking at the other variations the bronze has fared worst of all, though all the metallics have aged and faded after 80 years. I've seen this happen many times over with all types of antiques and vintage items that have lost their original appeal due to poor aging.
coppinpr wrote:you might be right(I too have seen all these before) but Im sure both you and I could reproduce those stencils with ease ,the blue one im sure is not original.
I guess you're trying to claim all the colour variations other than the bronze and silver? are later fantasy paintwork? Most of those examples I showed looked perfectly fine to me as untouched original cases with good aged fading and distressing to various pieces. And I have no reason to believe the restored examples weren't based on the original colours.
Attachments
jennings penny.jpg