Blackpool Auction

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

That really is a big shame although I don't blame them for going to Christies based on the huge sums of money they seem to attract and the global exposure.

No - I've change my mind! Yes - I do blame them! They are not exactly struggling to make ends meet and it would have been nice to see some of the locals attending and the auction giving something back to the community.

My guess is that some of the stuff will go Stateside although with the current exchange rates, a lot less than previously!!!!!!
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Well if, as you say, they are making a loss, then we must forgive them for diverting to Christies - but then there is making a loss and carefully financial re-engineering - if you get my drift! How many flats per unit Sir?
Only kidding ....... I think!!!!!
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

A point well made although for me Christies is far easier for me to get to than Blackpool! Have said that, I would rather go to Blackpool.

How about someone of influence speaking to Christies/BPB and trying to get them to run the auction at Blackpool?
JC

Post by JC »

Yes, it would appear Blackpool Pleasure Beach have made a complete pig's breakfast out of this! As I stated in my previous post, the auction was originally set for 30th Sept., on site at the Pleasure Beach. However, at a meeting held on Monday 16th Sept, it was apparently proposed that to hold the auction at the PB might appear that they 'needed the money', (and according to a post above, perhaps they do).
The discission to allow Christies to conduct the auction was apparently signed and sealed, but here's where it gets silly! A number of people have been 'fed' information that all the machines have already been shipped to Christies' Midlands warehouse, but Christies know nothing about it. And here's the rub! Christies have now shut the department, and all staff have been made redundant. So there will be no more Christies auctions of slot machines; mechanical music; scientific instruments etc.

So, as for what's going to happen to the machines and any proposed auction - I've no idea.
And neither, it would appear, do Blackpool Pleasure Beach?

Jerry :-?
The Grabber

Post by The Grabber »

I have just emailed Lawrence Fisher at Christies, South Kensington to ask about this auction and I was told in an email he has left the company and if I need any help to contact the people in the collectables section.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

The Blackpool Hallucinations..........

Post by badpenny »

If it ain't got feathers and it don't quack, chances are it ain't a duck.

By the same token if there ain't no catalogue and there ain't no marketting, then what are the chances?
Brook22

Blackpool Auction

Post by Brook22 »

Can you tell me when this auction is taking place and also where I can obtain the catalogue from ? Thanks
JC

Post by JC »

Hello Laurence - good to hear from you. I hope you're feeling well now.
You may have noticed this thread seems to be going nowhere. Most of us got the message ages ago that if this sale ever goes ahead, it probably won't be with Christies.
Anyway, hope to see you in Brighton, sometime next year perhaps.

All the best

Jerry