Over priced machines??

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
ls14garlo

Over priced machines??

Post by ls14garlo »

Just been browsing Gumtree, eBay and Shpock and couldn't help noticing how overpriced people list their machines for... makes you wonder if they really want to sell them.

I'm still new to the world of one armed bandits so I'm probably not qualified to comment but there's a Jubilee Riviera Tic Tac Toe on Gumtree and he's after £395. It's been in a cupboard for years, must've seen the other two listed in Glasgow for the same price (they look pretty immaculate) and just thought he'd list it the same. Someone's got a Mills Bonus Horsehead as well for £1900, who would pay that?

I'm no expert, far from it, but some people must have more money than sense! I know people pay what they think things are worth but really?......
coppinpr

Re: Over priced machines??

Post by coppinpr »

People don't pay what they are worth, they pay what they are worth TO THEM - very different thing.
raj

Post by raj »

The recent Bell Fruit Cascade sold at EH for £1200 being a case in point.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

The Jubilee Riviera at £395 on Gumtree has been pulled but the seller has it listed on eBay well at least for now at £300 start price. I would suggest that it was supplied by a professional trader on £2 as he states it was fully serviced when purchased and has all the revised artwork and badges as supplied by them. Pretty sure it would originally have been on 2 Bob shilling play as close to £2 coin in diameter for coin entry tube and slides. I'm sure it makes for a tidy money-box, those £2 coins would soon add up. His starting price of £300 is probably close to £200 less than the professional restorer would have charged for the refurbished serviced machine, so probably not that expensive, and certainly not in the seller's view I would envisage.
Attachments
jubilee£2.JPG
Last edited by aristomatic on Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jingle

Post by jingle »

aristomatic wrote:His starting price of £300 is probably close to £200 less than the professional restorer would have charged for the refurbished serviced machine, so probably not that expensive, and certainly not in the seller's view I would envisage.
Here here :D
coppinpr wrote:People don't pay what they are worth, they pay what they are worth TO THEM - very different thing.
Here here :D
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

There is a big difference between those buying to sell on straight away and those buying something because they like and want to keep it, the former always wanting something for nothing yet always wanting top dollar when selling.
Pot and kettle.
polaris

Post by polaris »

Totally agree with coppin - beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if something is appealing will probably do its money. There is also a culture in ebay where machines will be overpriced deliberately to hopefully attract potential buyers to make contact and do a deal outside auction to save on fees.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It is difficult to gauge prices at the moment, but auctions is always about the right two being in the room. The elephant is a good reference now though for prices that are more common, so Horse Head Bonuses seem to make between 1500 and 1700, there has been a few, so with commission the 1900 is not far out.

Rivieras have made up the price listed and as has been mentioned, chrome is critical on these machines not mechanics as it is prone to fall off and is not worth redoing for monetary reasons
ls14garlo

Post by ls14garlo »

They can reach massive amounts, just wish I could afford it.... or stick a trailer on the back of my Delorean and bring a load back! I agree about the over-pricing to sell off ebay and can't blame them really. If that Riviera sells, I hope he remembers to empty it - if it's full of £2 coins it'll be like the price of the machine!
polaris

Post by polaris »

If you do decide to crank up the flux capacitor garlo let me know couple things you could bring me back :)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The objects of our desire attract two markets.
1) The committed idiot (us) who know the true value and availability of a machine.
2) The impulse buyer, who knows no more than "Wow ..... that'd look fantastic in my house!"

Guess which one overpays and ends up with a machine lacking requirements such as escalator or JP etc?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Not sure I agree with BP on this one,I dont think there are many of us "committed Idiots" (good description BP) who hasn't bought at least one machine in the past because we really wanted it in that particular shade of green (or what ever) even if it didn't have some "Requirements" (at that time and soon to be rectified ) or bought a machine and when you got it home wondered why on earth you bought it :o where would be the fun in buying just the right machine at just the right price :cool:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You're quite right Paul, absolutely spot on.

The thread is about overpriced machines however, and why they sell.

There's an antiques shop near me that always has machines, currently a Jennings (no jackpot & wrong reels) £900, a Sega (electrified with multi coin entry) £700, an OW Allwin Win a Gift £799, a Spinning Dial Fortune Teller (not working £550) and a Nostalgic Punch & Judy Coin Flipper £600. Should I be remotely interested I wouldn't want to give more than £1100 for the lot.
However I know that by the time I next go most if not all will have sold.
I know from talking to the owner that he only sells to impulse purchasers who have not a piggin clue, they just fall in love with the idea.

BP
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Your not talking about Jacks place are you BP, there is one in north Norfolk as well, bleeding crazy prices for all the allwins in this small antiques centre, on speaking with the seller, was obviously hoping for a non collector, so probably will be there a while
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

No TF, I love visiting Junktion, but have yet to buy anything from Jack.

It's the same principle at all of these places. It's preferable to sell one thing a day at a stupid price than half a dozen because the price was competitive. It also saves them the hassle of chasing stock.

This is the place I'm talking of ............. http://astra-antiques.com/
There are at least 7 other massive antique warehouses on site. It's one of the WWII bomber airdromes, Dambusters and all that!
You can spend an interesting day wondering around, but don't expect to haggle any more than the Trade discount.
During the Summer you'd think you had wandered into The Far East as it's full of Japanese/Chinese and Taiwanese bulk buyers throwing money around like men with no arms. They literally run from room to room, all they care bout is how heavy it is and how big as they have a container to fill.

BP
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The below machine made me chuckle, one it cannot have been cheap to ship this machine to the US and with commission would have been over 1000 dollars, probably closer to 1500 to 1700 dollars shipped, but in sale on US eBay for 1900 dollar an ex Elephant House Mills Black Cherry on sixpence that sold in February. I love the strange unlikely description.....
Up for sale is a nice condition 1940's Mills Black Cherry one arm bandit slot machine! VERY RARE, this is a 6d (or 6 pence) british version of this awesome machine, which we believe less than 500 were made of this model!

this machine was recently imported from Lemington Spa, England to Los Angeles, CA. You will not find another one in the states like it!

It has been recently serviced, and is fully working. Also included is 200 6d coins, and the key as well.
Where did this limited edition stuff come from
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (34.21 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You couldn't make it up ...... although it appears they do.
raj

Post by raj »

The Governor at Astra at Helmswell has been there over a year, and as BP says there is no jackpot, also no back door and if I recall, Formica sides. Hey Ho, some idiot will buy it eventually.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

This has been on ebay for over 2 years, it gets relisted again and again and again and again and..............................
Perhaps the asking price may be a litle high, although postage is free WOW !PUZZLED!
Attachments
elevenses.jpg
raj

Post by raj »

These are recased and rebuilt Bryans being sold by a 'Pinball Phil' and is probably only an example advert to get some interest. I'm pretty sure any offer near to 1k would get his attention.