Something interesting on Ebay for a change

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coppinpr

Something interesting on Ebay for a change

Post by coppinpr »

I'm tempted by this but I feel I've got too much going on already just now. I'm guessing he's selling the machines as well, as £1400 for the trailer is, of course, about £1100 too much. Room for more machines as well but I don't know the legal position, might be dodgy.

arcade.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Vintage-A ... 2192089940
moonriver

Re: Something interesting on Ebay for a change

Post by moonriver »

Not least Showmans Guild rights.
polaris

Post by polaris »

Just out of interest what would be the implications of setting up such a business with regards to gambling commission , licences , as mentioned showmanship guild rights. In short could you purchase a suitable trailer and off you go?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

It would not be legal, I know little about the showmans' rights but you would be in poor shape as far as the Gambling Commission. The normal licence, that you MUST have is (a) very expensive and (b) is for a particular venue. I suspect this is where the showmans' rights come in and there is an amendment to the licence to allow travelling showmen to operate an arcade, at a price. This guy has clearly been operating his little business on the side and, although it's small time, it's still not legal without a licence. My first thought when I saw the trailer for sale was did he get caught and that is why he's selling?
polaris

Post by polaris »

Ah you know a little more than I coppin :) I think I get the showman guild thing where being a paid up member would possibly allow you to extend to more than one venue. What about with regards to the G.C. if you were unable to win a prize and machines were for amusement only whereby any coins given in exchange for money had to be used and could not be returned for cash?
JC

Post by JC »

Just to clarify: You do not have to be a member of the Showmen's Guild to be a travelling showman, and Guild members do not have any 'rights' over non Guild members. It has for decades been the case that travelling showmen do not require a licence to operate gaming machines of low payout (category D, family entertainment).
As far as I am aware, this situation hasn't changed.
In short, anyone can travel vintage slots, and are not subject to legislation covering permanent arcades.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

That's interesting JC, I'm amazed you don't need a licence if it's mobile. So if you had one of these trailers you could, in theory, rent a couple of spaces in the same way as an ice cream van or burger van and legally drag it up and down the seafront. If I'd known I might have bid on it. I've always wanted to have an interest in an arcade (as you know) and operating a trailer at the many country shows we have in the South might have been fun, and an opportunity to sell a machine or two on the side. :cool:
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

You could tow it behind your scooter.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well I did not know you needed no license for travelling arcades, very interesting... If
I had the time and energy I would love to do something like this and guess I have enough machines, also I have a number of fairground stalls, side joints and hooplas that could be adapted.... It's just a lotta lotta work....

Apart from those on here who operate fixed premises, quite a few I have spoken to have had a dabble at mobile units, especially at steam fair etc....

I remember one of my long conversations with the late John Morley and his woes with the Fairground Guild, who I believe he was not a member of and the hassle he got from them, often not getting good pitches or pitches at all and a lotta grief....

If you're not up against competition it could be fun I guess. I would not want to operate electric machines though where possible and this trailer looks a bit naff, seen better conversions of box trailers. The best trailers are probably old trade units with built in platforms, opening sides on twin axles... With an attached awning you could put a few machines under cover.

An open Hoopla looks the part though....lots of allwins around the edge and bandits inside......
jingle

Post by jingle »

Like this
I am looking to start renting mine out
Anyone getting married :burp:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
polaris

Post by polaris »

I would also love to give this a go if for nothing else than to show off the small collection I have. Not the same opportunities with fairs and the likes up here so would need to enquire as to how long a trailer could be pitched up in the same place perhaps on the seafront. Very nice Bob looks fantastic.
polaris

Post by polaris »

"Would also love to give this a go if for nothing else to show off the small collection I have. "

not in a pretentious way :) more so to let people know these exist and to have a go on instead of all the new dangled prize redemption rubbish.