Vintage dodgem sign

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
aristomatic

Vintage dodgem sign

Post by aristomatic »

Attachments
dodgem.jpg
gameswat

Re: vintage dodgem sign

Post by gameswat »

Deceptive title Aristo - was hoping to see something old, but only vintage style. :#:
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Dear Gameswat... nothing gets past your expert eye...... or maybe too much attention to detail.

GP
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

A little giveaway was the dozen similiar old wooden signs with the same patina the seller has, and for brands like Harley, BSA and Triumph - no signs for Reliant or anything naff!
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

hiflyer

Post by hiflyer »

But the big giveaway is the crap spelling........or is a dogem car one that's used for dogging? /DRIVE\
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Indeed, the dodgy spelling was the reason for the opening post, not the vintage or vintage style authenticity of the eBay listing. I'm sure someone has already let him know of the spelling but he just needs to move it on I suppose.

I posted the monkey business illusion just to reinforce that a number of people will just see the vintage style artwork and fall in love with it and never see the dodgy spelling till someone later gives them the nudge and they will be surprised that they never noticed it.....

And yes I'm one of the 50% who never saw the gorilla when viewing the video.

GP
gameswat

Re: Vintage dodgem sign

Post by gameswat »

Stupidly enough I don't have an issue with the Dogem spelling as I've seen it written that way many times and if you Google it seems to be accepted by many. I still imagine and say the same pronunciation for both spellings, just like the silent "d" in Roger - my fathers name by the way, so maybe that's why I'm bigrammatical? And I guess if you know the context of the word your brain fills in any blanks. Does seem the English language has gone downhill quickly with the advent of texting though. '!'
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

WHATEVES
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Gameswat wrote:And I guess if you know the context of the word your brain fills in any blanks.
Strange that some of you would automatically read it as "Dog-em", whatever that means? !!SHIT!! :burp:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I think he must got the wording right because it doesn't look anything like any Dodgem sign Ive ever seen at a fair,personally I wouldn't use it as a shelf in my shed! perhaps it is a dogem sign :!?!:

useless Dodgem fact number 1. Billy Butin was working as a Dodgem salesman/supplier(amount other things) when he met Harry Warner and started to think about opening a holiday camp,his grave stone must be substantial just to get his full name on
"Sir William Heygate Edmund Colborne "Billy" Butlin" :lol: