Mechanical Memories Auction 2007

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Mechanical Memories Auction 2007

Post by badpenny »

Ok, I've been hinting at it over the weekend, and have now booked the venue for this year's Midlands' slot auction, so here are the details......

Date - Sunday November 25th. Access from 8.30 am for unloading and setting up. Viewing times and auction start to be confirmed. However we need to be cleared and away no later than 18.00

Venue - Coundon Social Club CV6 1GP Coventry. Go to Google Earth, put in the postcode and look for the building in the attached photo.
We have a very comfortable concert room, ground level access through double doors from the car park. Bar/tea/coffee/food. will be available. Well behaved under 18's allowed entry. Superb car park.

As usual, entry via catalogue through the magazine.
This will be a cash only auction (no cheques, no credit cards, promises etc.) payout on the day.
Full directions nearer the time.
Jerry will be repeating this and confirming more details in the next copy of the magazine.

This is our third auction since we started and our second in the Midlands.
Help us to build on our previous events and start digging out your entries for Jerry, you should know by now he's very good at arm twisting!
Attachments
Coundon Social Club.JPG
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Is this still going ahead?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Special When Lit wrote:Is this still going ahead?
yes
markymark

Is it for real?

Post by markymark »

Hi Is this the only place to be informed about this forthcoming auction? If so, I'll keep checking. Is the auction going ahead for sure, and will there be a list of type of items for sale... Sorry for questions, im new to this and this will be my first auction. Thx
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Is it for real?

Post by badpenny »

The Coventry auction will be as detailed above. There are likely to be more details on this site. However, entry is always by catalogue, which of course lists everything entered in the auction and allows you entry.
The auction is arranged by Mechanical Memories Magazine with support by me. So....... guess what I'm going to say now?

And ......as I seem to keep saying to you in my replies .......
Jerry's magazine subscribe now!

See you there!
Badpenny
Neil

Post by Neil »

coventry auction not advertised on the calendar site
JC

Calendar info. coming soon!

Post by JC »

Ok, I'll fix the Calendar with site admin. in the next couple of days.

The October magazines were posted today, so I'm hoping that you'll all receive your copies by the end of the week. Although with the huge back-log of post due to the postal strike, I'm not over confident. Entry forms for the auction are included with the mags, but I can also email the forms.
However, the forms will be emailed as Word attachments, and I think there have been one or two problems previously with recipients not receiving the attachments.
Obviously, if you don't have Word installed on your computer you won't be able to save an attachment to file. But can anyone advise whether the attachment can still be opened and read in, say, Outlook Express?

Jerry
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Even with the GPO strikes I'd imagine you'll have received Jerry's magazine by now.
So will have read the update on the forthcoming auction and gotten your lot entry forms.
Please don't delay with those for as you know we like to be more than squeaky clean and work closely with The Gambling Board on the legalities, so will be applying for the necessary licenses promptly.
Your co-operation with this helps immensely

Regards ............. looking forward to this one ..........

badpenny :D
JC

It's looking good!

Post by JC »

Well, the entry forms have been coming in daily and we now have over 160 lots. Once again we have a great selection of goodies on offer, although as with Sarratt, we are at this stage a little short of allwins. Those that have been entered so far include: 2 really nice BMCo allwins; Win a Smarties; a couple of Saxony machines; a nice reserve ball; Bryans Elevenses. There are some nice bandits this time, including: Mills Hi-top in a wooden cowboy figure (Polk type); Pace Comet in consol case; 2 Jennings Governors; Mills Extraordinary, plus various Mills; Sega; Berkeley; Bally etc. Bryans machines include a very rare Penny-go-round and a nice Clock in crackle case. There is an interesting selection of electro-mech. wall machines plus various other misc. machines including counter-top pushers and penny drop games etc.
Other lots include: 2 Mutoscope reels; some interesting bandit spares; bagatelle games; 2 Ells Gold Changers for spares or restoration; plus the usual selection of spares, books and paperwork.

So - it's looking good! But if you still have any lots to enter, please get them in ASAP. We made the closing date for entries 12th Nov, which was probably a mistake, as it will make things really tight for producing the catalogue. So please return your entry forms now!

Catalogues will be available in the MARKET on this site soon.

Look forward to seeing you all on 25th Nov.

Jerry :D
alex_holden

Post by alex_holden »

Can we just turn up on the day and buy a catalogue on the door?
JC

Post by JC »

We would rather catalogues are bought in advance as it is difficult to judge the print run if people just turn up on the day. We've made this as easy as possible by offering online payment through this site, so there should be no reason to turn up without a catalogue.
Details will be posted in the MARKET shortly.

Jerry
alex_holden

Post by alex_holden »

I see the catalogue is available now. Thanks.
JC

It's looking really good!

Post by JC »

The catalogues are at the printers and should be ready to post Monday. I can now confirm we have 250+ lots, so this really will be our biggest event so far.
We now have a great and varied selection of allwins, including half a dozen BMCo - which must be a record number for many years.
Bryans fans will certainly not be disappointed, as we also have more Bryans machines than we've seen at auction for a long time. These include: Double Decker; Fruit Bowl; 3 X Elevenses, one in a Castle-top case; Twelve Win and Six Win Clocks; Payramid; Worlborl in Streamline case.

So if you haven't already done so, order your catalogue now!
Full details in the MARKET on this site.

We look forward to seeing you all on the 25th

Jerry :D :D :D
markymark

Looking Good!

Post by markymark »

Got the catalogue today, looks like its gonna be a great day. My first slot auction, hope i don't get carried away with my bidding!!!!!
By the way, any book dealers there?? as im hoping to pick up one of those Mills Pictorial Service Manual!
thx
Brian

November auction

Post by Brian »

Thought you should be aware. Barclays bank have had a major problem with theior computer, so they say, Pay pal transactions have been paid and then cancelled. In my case my order for thee catalogue has been paid twice and it appears cancelled twice. Hence no catalogue this morning.

Will you save me a catalogue on sunday morning, I will be there early.
?

Brian Ward Chester
JC

BLOODY POST OFFICE!

Post by JC »

Sorry to hear you have not received your catalogue Brian.
I've checked my Paypal account, and there was not a problem with payment - the transaction completed on 12th Nov. Your catalogue was posted on Monday, so you should have received it on Wednesday.

I'll make sure I keep one back for when you arrive, but don't get there too early as viewing starts at 10.30, and we shall not be opening the doors until the sellers have had time to set up.

Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow.

Jerry
badpenny
Forum Moderator

All over bar the screaming!

Post by badpenny »

To those who got to Coventry yesterday, a warm and heartfelt thanks.
As we always say, it was your day you made it what it was (any opportunity to shift the blame, that's me!)
General Opinion on the venue was very positive (unless you know differently?)

Our biggest number of lots yet!

Loads of new faces

Some surprising lots including machines I'd only ever heard off but had never seen in the flesh before

A chance to catch up with friends that live far and near, and to put faces to names (hope you got back in time to play with your cows' breasts Jimmy!)

Free beer and pole dancing during the break! (Just to upset those that didn't get there!)

Jerry will add his comments and discuss trends and prices I'm sure.

It was a long day for everyone, Jerry and Clive finally left after 9.30 last night to head SARF

I proved to everyone that I have the memory of a goldfish by yet again trapping my finger by lifting an allwin without checking that it couldn't swing open .... it did!

And that's about it from me ........... thanks again from Doff and me .....can't help thinking there was something else .......... errrrr .......
Oh yes! ..........

Let's all be grateful that Jerry didn't pursue a career in the nuclear industry, where the difference between turning off a harmless appliance and thermo nuclear meltdown is nothing more than a question of which switch you throw!
Badpenny
JC

Post by JC »

Well, going by the number of emails I've received this morning, the consensus seems to suggest we all had a great day.
The venue was extremely pleasant, although it was surprising how it seemed to shrink once we started filling it with machines! As stated above, our greatest number of lots so far. I shall give a more detailed account, once I've recovered from my 22 hour day!
But I shall at least come clean about my most unfortunate mishap with the laptop. I had hoped to keep it quiet, but as it's been highlighted in bold orange print above, I suppose I shall have to hold my hands up. To all the vendors whose journey home was delayed - sincere appologies! No doubt there will be many of you who will be making a concerted effort to keep me well away from 13 amp plugs and sockets at future events!

Thanks to you all for your support.

Jerry :zzz:
Brian

Coventry auction 2007

Post by Brian »

My thanks to all for organising a really informative and friendly day. Great to meet so many who share the same pattern. Hope by next year the wife is speaking to me. "Bloody hockey game - what on earth do you want with one of them?"

PS i notice some of the buys already on e-bay!

brian
JC

Post by JC »

I haven't noticed any machines from the auction on ebay yet Brian. I wonder which ones you refer to?
However, I'm already hearing of unsold lots being sold in the carpark afterwards, and wonder which part of "there is to be no buying and selling in the carpark" was not fully understood.
The work involved in putting together this event was immense, and the financial rewards totally disproportionate. If vendors are prepared to sell for less in the carpark, then they should have entered their lots at a lower reserve in the auction. Avoiding paying a mere 5% commision shows a total disregard for the hard work that goes into these events, and rather casts doubt on the likelihood that I will be prepared to organise similar events in the future.
Anyway, I shall include a full report in the next issue of the magazine.