Mechanical Memories Auction 2007

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
JC

Post by JC »

We would rather catalogues are bought in advance as it is difficult to judge the print run if people just turn up on the day. We've made this as easy as possible by offering online payment through this site, so there should be no reason to turn up without a catalogue.
Details will be posted in the MARKET shortly.

Jerry
alex_holden

Post by alex_holden »

I see the catalogue is available now. Thanks.
JC

It's looking really good!

Post by JC »

The catalogues are at the printers and should be ready to post Monday. I can now confirm we have 250+ lots, so this really will be our biggest event so far.
We now have a great and varied selection of allwins, including half a dozen BMCo - which must be a record number for many years.
Bryans fans will certainly not be disappointed, as we also have more Bryans machines than we've seen at auction for a long time. These include: Double Decker; Fruit Bowl; 3 X Elevenses, one in a Castle-top case; Twelve Win and Six Win Clocks; Payramid; Worlborl in Streamline case.

So if you haven't already done so, order your catalogue now!
Full details in the MARKET on this site.

We look forward to seeing you all on the 25th

Jerry :D :D :D
markymark

Looking Good!

Post by markymark »

Got the catalogue today, looks like its gonna be a great day. My first slot auction, hope i don't get carried away with my bidding!!!!!
By the way, any book dealers there?? as im hoping to pick up one of those Mills Pictorial Service Manual!
thx
Brian

November auction

Post by Brian »

Thought you should be aware. Barclays bank have had a major problem with theior computer, so they say, Pay pal transactions have been paid and then cancelled. In my case my order for thee catalogue has been paid twice and it appears cancelled twice. Hence no catalogue this morning.

Will you save me a catalogue on sunday morning, I will be there early.
?

Brian Ward Chester
JC

BLOODY POST OFFICE!

Post by JC »

Sorry to hear you have not received your catalogue Brian.
I've checked my Paypal account, and there was not a problem with payment - the transaction completed on 12th Nov. Your catalogue was posted on Monday, so you should have received it on Wednesday.

I'll make sure I keep one back for when you arrive, but don't get there too early as viewing starts at 10.30, and we shall not be opening the doors until the sellers have had time to set up.

Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow.

Jerry
badpenny
Forum Moderator

All over bar the screaming!

Post by badpenny »

To those who got to Coventry yesterday, a warm and heartfelt thanks.
As we always say, it was your day you made it what it was (any opportunity to shift the blame, that's me!)
General Opinion on the venue was very positive (unless you know differently?)

Our biggest number of lots yet!

Loads of new faces

Some surprising lots including machines I'd only ever heard off but had never seen in the flesh before

A chance to catch up with friends that live far and near, and to put faces to names (hope you got back in time to play with your cows' breasts Jimmy!)

Free beer and pole dancing during the break! (Just to upset those that didn't get there!)

Jerry will add his comments and discuss trends and prices I'm sure.

It was a long day for everyone, Jerry and Clive finally left after 9.30 last night to head SARF

I proved to everyone that I have the memory of a goldfish by yet again trapping my finger by lifting an allwin without checking that it couldn't swing open .... it did!

And that's about it from me ........... thanks again from Doff and me .....can't help thinking there was something else .......... errrrr .......
Oh yes! ..........

Let's all be grateful that Jerry didn't pursue a career in the nuclear industry, where the difference between turning off a harmless appliance and thermo nuclear meltdown is nothing more than a question of which switch you throw!
Badpenny
JC

Post by JC »

Well, going by the number of emails I've received this morning, the consensus seems to suggest we all had a great day.
The venue was extremely pleasant, although it was surprising how it seemed to shrink once we started filling it with machines! As stated above, our greatest number of lots so far. I shall give a more detailed account, once I've recovered from my 22 hour day!
But I shall at least come clean about my most unfortunate mishap with the laptop. I had hoped to keep it quiet, but as it's been highlighted in bold orange print above, I suppose I shall have to hold my hands up. To all the vendors whose journey home was delayed - sincere appologies! No doubt there will be many of you who will be making a concerted effort to keep me well away from 13 amp plugs and sockets at future events!

Thanks to you all for your support.

Jerry :zzz:
Brian

Coventry auction 2007

Post by Brian »

My thanks to all for organising a really informative and friendly day. Great to meet so many who share the same pattern. Hope by next year the wife is speaking to me. "Bloody hockey game - what on earth do you want with one of them?"

PS i notice some of the buys already on e-bay!

brian
JC

Post by JC »

I haven't noticed any machines from the auction on ebay yet Brian. I wonder which ones you refer to?
However, I'm already hearing of unsold lots being sold in the carpark afterwards, and wonder which part of "there is to be no buying and selling in the carpark" was not fully understood.
The work involved in putting together this event was immense, and the financial rewards totally disproportionate. If vendors are prepared to sell for less in the carpark, then they should have entered their lots at a lower reserve in the auction. Avoiding paying a mere 5% commision shows a total disregard for the hard work that goes into these events, and rather casts doubt on the likelihood that I will be prepared to organise similar events in the future.
Anyway, I shall include a full report in the next issue of the magazine.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

There will always be people who have no thought for others or the effort an event such as this involves, I would certainly endorse actions such as refusing to accept any further auction lots from these people.

Alternatively, why not charge an 'item submission fee' this fee being deducted only if the lot is sold. (How many solicitors provide a service and make no charge for it?) Too complicated or too contentious? It's always the same, a few spoil it for the many.

The vast majority of slotties and collectors are thoroughly supportive and appreciate your efforts Jerry, it would be a great pity if indeed you withdrew from organising any similar events in the future.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Jerry and I had already spent many hours on the phone prior to this last auction discussing: -
* Entry fees per lot
* Charging for a reserve that would be refunded if the item sold.

At the time we decided against it as we are still having to work very hard at getting the lots promised. On this last occassion we almost pulled the plug because we didn't have confidence in the few lots that had been forthcoming ............... then in the last couple of weeks it all poured in .... our fault for not being tight enough on the deadline. I'm sure you can imagine how that affected the publishing and posting of the catalogue as well as trying to work out how many tables to hire and setting up the I.T. system to reflect.

I'm not sure that stinging the majority a bit more compensates for the greedy few who simply see no problem in letting us do their marketing, provide a venue and encourage the buyers to one convenient place in order that they can then drop their price and do a shady deal.
I will confirm however that two vendors at the end told me that if they were approached in the car park to sell outside of the commision rule they would personally refund that amount to us. Also it doesn't help when promised machines don't turn up or when they are sold prior to the auction and substituted with totally diferrent machines. Ho.... Humm....

But regarding selling in the car park, it could kill this.
So often in life it's the minority who spoil it for the majority, but will they care?
JC

Post by JC »

Thank you to Arrgee and Guest for your supportive words and points of view, all of which (as Badpenny has stated) we have discussed and considered on many occasions. In the run-up to the Coventry auction last year, Badpenny wanted to charge an entry fee and make a charge for unsold lots which we considered to have too high a reserve. In contrast, I wanted to keep things simple and give as much encouragement to vendors in order to 'get things moving'. Maybe I was wrong.
However, as Guest states above, it is very difficult to judge a realistic reserve on a machine for which we only have the vendor's description. Terms such as 'mint condition' and 'superb restoration' can be just as misleading as a machine simply described as 'in good working order' which turns out to be a real cracker.
The fundamental problem, I think, is that machines just aren't selling for the same money we expected five or six years ago. By example, two nice reserve ball allwins sold for little more than £400 each on Sunday - half what we may have valued reserve balls a few years ago. One of those machines had a firm reserve of £500, which I considered very reasonable, and yet it only made £420. Because I sold it for £80 less than it's reserve, I had to make up the difference - which ate further into our meagre profit.
One thing is for sure - Badpenny and myself cannot continue to commit the time, effort and stress for the little financial reward we get in return. And when we hear of people doing their best to avoid paying a moderate commission or trying to sneak in without paying for a catalogue - it really doesn't help.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Interesting point Laurence about the illegality of car-park selling, My feelings are that there will always be someone who prefers to circumvent the system and if they choose to operate this way, then they will, even if it is down the road a mile from the venue........sad old life some people live.

I agree that 5% commission is very good, I attended an auction a few months back where the commission was 15% and the buyer had to pay VAT on that 15%, a Bryan's Gapwin sold for £1250 which made the final purchase price £1470, probably about right for the particular machine.

Regarding the prices Jerry, and to quote an auction friend, any item is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Perhaps these lower prices may induce more people to buy thus helping to spread the collecting of coin op machines? I know this has been discussed on the Forum in the past and in the MMM magazine, only time will tell.

I can only reiterate previous comments: well done Jerry and Badpenny for all your efforts, they are appreciated.
markymark

Enjoyed the Day - Well Done.

Post by markymark »

My first auction and I enjoyed it.. So to did the girlfriend!!! (well, she smiled alot!!!).
Would have liked to see more one arm bandits, but thats just me! Enjoyed looking at the other mechanical marvels there!
As mentioned elsewhere, was a little disappointed with the reserves, I'm no expert unlike many of those in attendance, but compared to what ebay and local papers seem to sell stuff for, the slots were a little high reserved - sorry ebay and papers are the only experience i have on prices!!!

I bid on a Sega and got the high bid of 180, but reserve not met - Come on please, in that condition they never top 140 elsewhere! However, I did win another Sega so I was happy bunny!
Were sellers being greedy? I don't know... But speaking for myself, I had a great day and experience and would have no hesitation in attending future events.
Well done to all those involved in organising.

By the way, It was me paying when Jerry pulled the plug on the laptop! Phew! Glad I wasn't the bloke behind me!! HeHe!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

jimmycowman lost pass wrote:oh yes got back to milk the cows bit late though next time need a stand by so no need to rush to get back, been loads of auctions cant understand why we had to wait till the end to pay,if the sheet goes to the cashier with lot numbers and how much it made why couldn't we pay up and go they were only hand written anyway?one sheet say 10 lots....that's my only moan + didn't buy much. Anyway, great day well done to all who put it together. When's the next?
Hi jimmy, next time bring your cows with you, it's only trading that's not allowed in the car park!

I fear we'd get in a right mess if we allowed paying during the auction because: -
* We can't interrogate the system for buyer activity whilst we are inputting auctioneer activity.
* Doff needs to sit near to Jerry to receive his papers and it would be disruptive for him to have buyers wandering around on the stage at the same time
* Sure as cows need milking somebody would be bound to want to bid on something after they had paid which means having to revitalise their bidding number after it had been totalled.
* If we did this the next request would be if the buyers can do it, why can't the vendors, and "I've just bought lot XYZ and sold one 8 lots back so you owe me Z and I owe you X, so I'll take what I've bought and you pay me the difference, what do you mean you can't because the buyer of my lot hasn't paid yet?" ........... and all while we're trying to run an auction!
*And then there's the most important reason of all, if buyers can pay, collect and go when their heart's desire has been knocked down to them, how are we going to sell them something on impulse later?????????

Sorry it takes so long, we'd also like to shorten the process, any recommendations that suit everybody are of course welcome.
Perhaps somebody could donate two network/wireless linked PCs and a couple of extra volunteers to make it happen, we sure as hell can't afford more overheads.

badpenny