Morphy auction January 2017

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Morphy auction January 2017

Post by pennymachines »

For the record, I've posted results of UK-Euro-Oz interest in the Arena.
Hmm... wonder if there are some Bradshaw Stockbrokers on their way to the next one. :o
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You missed one mr pm, there was another Brooklands Bolands machine :cool:

The Bradshaw went for more than I thought, although your prices include premiums....

Overall not sure there were any real cheap machines although some were difficult to price like the coronet
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Thx for the updates
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Lot 465 was cheap at $676, but as with all machines in this bracket not worth bidding as costs would be double....pic below.

You also missed two German Tura's and a 1D Pace machine....am sure there will be others...
Attachments
IMG_0302.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Definitely a case of Bandit Blindness. Thanks TF - Not sure if the Pace counts as British (although extensively converted for UK use) but I've added all those. Anyone spot any others?

Barry Goldfarb was apparently something of a completist who sought out obscure and quirky bandits, and the "more rare than valuable" machines. Although he also had most of the top-rated gambling collectibles, I think it was this other stuff that made the collection particularly interesting. I agree the sheer quantity was a bit overwhelming.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not sure how you are searching as the link does not work for me to search item I can only scroll...

There were some amazing items and a number of the top machines never reached a reserve obviously set.....

I am afraid the coronet is coming to the UK as I was too tempted, hoping it makes it safely :cool:

Anyone else bid on anything or even go, which I had considered?
Last edited by treefrog on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The search box on this page is working.
I bid but fell short (by some margin) on one or two of the American games. :(
Well done on the Coronet. **xXx** Now BP will have to buy andydotp's :D
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

That Mills Hoke Snake took some dollars. I had seen images of one of these before. Anyone know how few/many they made?

I like my QT but those Superior Confectionery slots with vendor jackpot and gold awards really look the business!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH! !!>*<!!
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

Lot 35 The silver palace sold incl 23% $2091 other prices of machines I highlighted were double decker $2400, A1 note changer $180, Egyptian Bell $2337, tick-tock $1169. lilliput [1900 wall machine on 1/2d] $738, grip tester on 1d $738,wizard fortune teller on 1d [wall machine] $1140, Brook land racer $1230. Any other results wanted please ask as I have a cat. and list of all prices realised. The prices shown are either hammer plus 20/23% depending if purchaser paid cash/cheque within 7 days 20% otherwise 23%.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Wow! Thanks BP for the tip off. Oh and hi all, been too long. I wrote my autobiography you see - Punk in The Gym, you must all rush out immediately and buy it,,.
Well heck treefrog you got a good 'un there old bean even though it has the most hideous re-paint job. Well done at that price though, has to be said...
So, conundrum time;
When I stumbled upon my Middlehusrt Coronet - unwanted and dumped amongst a pile of Ballys (any chance of a pic please mods?) that neither the seller or I had any clue about, I spent over two years researching it and finally made contact with an elderly gentleman who worked at the Middlehurst jobbing shop/foundry in Sydney and helped in making two of these machines, and two only - he swore blind.
Leonard Ainsworth ended up with one, the other popped up in America as evidenced by Deiter Ladwig's book on pg 56.
It would be fascinating to hear what serial number yours is - mine's 3331.
The one in Ladwig has a polished timber base; ours have the mottled Formica base - plus the trim around the base edge. Mine has the mottled Formica sides, does yours? Ladwig's has a red - although unreadable - belly glass name; yours has a blue one.
The 20 coins casting right of the reel window on mine the words are imprinted, these two are in relief (raised).
My belly casting paint work is scalloped at the sides, Ladwig's is straight, but doesn't line up; yours matches, but isn't an original Aussie colour scheme plus the 10c denomination badge differs from Ladwig & me.
Am wondering whether yours is that one from Ladwig, 'tarted up/down'?
(Our dearest coin op guru and fountain of all knowledge down here in Melbourne has some patent info but I shan't speak on behalf of others).

I await with bated breath Mr Frog about the serial number in particular ,,,
Laters,
Cheers from Upsidedownland.
Andy. x
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Andy, I guess there obviously was more than two, as the Dieter one looks very different and I reckon the base and possibly sides, which we cannot see, were replaced with wood, given the shocking mottled Formica, this may not have been everyone's taste. I like the earlier Formica styles and colours used on some machines. It was the boring faux brown wood one's that were depressing. In fact the Clubmaster, where you can see so many similarities, had the not so nice brown sides.

Will see what the machine is like once and if it arrives, costing a small fortune in shipping.... Will advise on numbers and things then.

There were so many machines I would have been tempted with in that auction, wish I could have gone.
Last edited by treefrog on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well finally arrived complete and now sat next to a later cousin as a comparison, I thought it was going to be bigger than the Clubmaster. No idea where the series number is, but looks like it is still on 6d they just changed the badge.
As is always with US collectors they like to restore, so obvious been painted and rechromed. For now will.be left as is, but may still a 6d badge on.
Last edited by treefrog on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Looks dreadful :#:
sarg

Post by sarg »

I like that - looks good treefrog.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

treefrog wrote:Well finally arrived...
I'm sure it cost a pretty penny to ship and eager anticipation etc., but it's only 2nd week in February, hardly the Onedin Line....LOL I would be thankful due to its rarity that it's turned up unscathed as insurance wouldn't help you find another available machine.

Fingers crossed! 10c badge is stuck on and not drilled via a hole.

Well done for securing this example & getting it over to England.

GP
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Great to hear it arrived all well Mr treefrog and BP's right on the 'look'.
Not sure why your's does'nt have a serial number as mine's in the casting by the Middlehurst & Sons cast.
As for the colours; Am not 100% sure but Aussie slots were generally pale blue & grey.
Still, gorgeous piece isn't it!
An aside: The Odenin Line ,,, my late father was on that as Mr Pilgrim, I was six years old.
One final thing about Derek Pollitt - my dad, was that some school kids broke in to an old outbuilding in Prestayn, N.Wales - 1977 - and found 40 old slot machines covered in dust. Somehow they dragged one out and sledged hammered it to bits looking for pennies. I salvaged the top casting - it was an original Mills Bonus machine, mech smashed, the lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I managed to get an original High Top for four quid (a small fortune back then earning 20p a day) then a Bryan's Payramid for two pounds fifty. Dad wouldn't allow them in the house so banished to the shed.
Haha, but; 'Daddy' went back down to London to work and he got zapped to death by a silurian on Dr Who and the machines were in my bedroom next day.
No wonder I'm f*ckd up - yet kept relatively sane by a forum FRIEND on here
who's name I can't Je-memorize!
Sleepy bo-bo's and g'night from Upsidedownworld.
AP.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Andy,

There are numbers stamped on the inside lop of the hood, inside wood cabinet and on the reel surround, they all match and is 444

When you say a number on casting, which casting, the mechanisms?

Just looked your dad up on IMDb, must look up the "the Body Stealers" sounds like a classic....... !!THUMBSX2!!
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Apols for the delay in replying (been arranging dearest old friend's cremation and construction tenders are flooding in). Thx Tom for the PM.

Well, the cast base plate, frame and various parts have Middlehurst & Sons Sydney or M&S cast in relief. 3331 is stamped in the reel window frame and inside of the hood. Its also on the mech but couldn't find it due to poor light last night.

Am still rather non-plusssed as to where Mr treefrog's machine came from as an elderly gentleman I spoke with years ago - a Mr John Hands - worked for Noel Middlehurst and worked machining & assembling two only original Coronets bwn 1949 and 1952. The patent is dated September 1954 so I guess it was retrospective? Gameswat or Bob can likely enlighten us more on this.

Middlehurst produced a limited number of two variant machines before Leonard Ainsworth bought them out and based his Clubman on the original/s.
I wonder whether Mr Hands' memory was hazy or whether Ainsworth Dental Supplies fabricated the 3rd one? Whatever/whoever, we all now know of mine, the one in Ladwig pg 56 and treefrog's. I intend to attempt to contact the seller with the amazing mansion full of old slots and see if he recalls where & when he discovered it. Maybe our friendly US correspondent JP can illuminate here?
Flippin' gorgeous machines though and so stylish.
Cheers,
dAndypot.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I'd love to jump in with incisive information but can only display my ignorance. I'm strictly a British wall game type of guy. I know I'm out of step with the majority but I have no interest in slots - ours or anyone else's.

J Peterson
Allwin to the end here in the Blue Ridge