Morphy auction January 2017

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
sweetmeats

Morphy auction January 2017

Post by sweetmeats »

The sale details are on calendar page apart from having a mind blowing collection of bandits from a collector I visited about ten years ago who had 1000+! then .There are also eight nice ENGLISH machines I spotted [may have missed one or two] all estimated very low even with exchange rate £1/$1.2 have a look lot numbers 288,576,627,984,1095,1131,1271 and1338. Good luck the auction do a first rate shipping service and should be able to give estimate before the sale on any lot.
aristomatic

Re: Morphy auction January 2017

Post by aristomatic »

Just literally had a x5 mins sweep thru the catalogue

471 should be of interest to at least one member here!

GP
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Even though there are some truly amazing machines in the auction I was well and truly bored by about the 20th page, and it just went on and on! I think this is a classic example of all the lower end stuff bringing the great pieces down, and not the other way around. If this collection had been distilled over time to just the core 100 best pieces then it would've been spectacular. I did get to visit in person back in 2005 with just two other people and that was overwhelming itself!! There were quite a few other English wall machines back then that aren't in the auction, they were in a separate room mostly, he must have culled them a while ago for space reasons. The house was a rabbit warren of rooms he kept adding so he could keep buying. The machines were displayed in built in shelving units that covered walls.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

You just answered my main question, Gameswat: where is heaven's name were all these machines warehoused? Your other point is well taken. When you amass an overwhelming collection, the finer pieces are diminished by virtue of the sheer numbers of machines. It will be interesting to see the prices realized. Is the market strong enough to absorb all these slots at top value? Time will tell.

J Peterson
Slot-less in America
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Can't find any photos I took on the visit but here's a short interview with Barry showing the collection in his house.

sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

I note Mr Peterson's comments regards the quantity of machines. I think a more positive view is that there are opportunities for all pockets to buy a machine, also many of the lower priced machines are rare even if not classics. Nice to see the video post I had forgotten just how amazing the collection was .
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well I must have been bored as I had the auction running on my computer watching the events fold and after a while, one fancy front US bandit merges into another. As has been mentioned there were just too many to focus on. There were more than 15 British machines, with a good selection of Bolands bandits selling for similar prices as here. The Bryans machines fetched good money which surprised me with the Double Decker going for $2000. I could not believe what the Bradshaw stockbroker went for at the end, over $3500 :shock:
Some of my favourite machines were there, but with shipping and exchange rate beyond my pocket, e.g. the Baby Grand and the Brooklands Racer finishing at $1000 (looked like it had a bad chrome job and loss of original paint)
No Aristocrats or jubilees here, but there was one Aussie machine, the infamous Middlehurst Coronet which would have been tempting ;-)
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

I had the auction on for about 20 mins yesterday evening. I had forgotten about it but managed to see some machines live and also see realised hammer prices on lots 900 plus? However couldn't see how to access realised for lots 1-899? Maybe that was all the previous day's lots.

If anyone has the realised price on the Silver Palace and the Coronet I would be interested to know those thanks, or just post a link to access?

GP
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Gameswat wrote:here's a short interview with Barry showing the collection in his house
Just an amazing collection of machines :shock:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

No idea what the Silver Palace went for as they have never been my cuppa, always looked odd to me, but the coronet went for $1400

Below link still works but you will have to scroll page by page as the search function only looks at the current auction

http://auctions.morphyauctions.com/mobi ... tionid=273
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

For the record, I've posted results of UK-Euro-Oz interest in the Arena.
Hmm... wonder if there are some Bradshaw Stockbrokers on their way to the next one. :o
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You missed one mr pm, there was another Brooklands Bolands machine :cool:

The Bradshaw went for more than I thought, although your prices include premiums....

Overall not sure there were any real cheap machines although some were difficult to price like the coronet
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Thx for the updates
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Lot 465 was cheap at $676, but as with all machines in this bracket not worth bidding as costs would be double....pic below.

You also missed two German Tura's and a 1D Pace machine....am sure there will be others...
Attachments
IMG_0302.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Definitely a case of Bandit Blindness. Thanks TF - Not sure if the Pace counts as British (although extensively converted for UK use) but I've added all those. Anyone spot any others?

Barry Goldfarb was apparently something of a completist who sought out obscure and quirky bandits, and the "more rare than valuable" machines. Although he also had most of the top-rated gambling collectibles, I think it was this other stuff that made the collection particularly interesting. I agree the sheer quantity was a bit overwhelming.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not sure how you are searching as the link does not work for me to search item I can only scroll...

There were some amazing items and a number of the top machines never reached a reserve obviously set.....

I am afraid the coronet is coming to the UK as I was too tempted, hoping it makes it safely :cool:

Anyone else bid on anything or even go, which I had considered?
Last edited by treefrog on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The search box on this page is working.
I bid but fell short (by some margin) on one or two of the American games. :(
Well done on the Coronet. **xXx** Now BP will have to buy andydotp's :D
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

That Mills Hoke Snake took some dollars. I had seen images of one of these before. Anyone know how few/many they made?

I like my QT but those Superior Confectionery slots with vendor jackpot and gold awards really look the business!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH! !!>*<!!
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

Lot 35 The silver palace sold incl 23% $2091 other prices of machines I highlighted were double decker $2400, A1 note changer $180, Egyptian Bell $2337, tick-tock $1169. lilliput [1900 wall machine on 1/2d] $738, grip tester on 1d $738,wizard fortune teller on 1d [wall machine] $1140, Brook land racer $1230. Any other results wanted please ask as I have a cat. and list of all prices realised. The prices shown are either hammer plus 20/23% depending if purchaser paid cash/cheque within 7 days 20% otherwise 23%.