Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
treefrog

Re: Isle of Wight Shanklin sale

Postby treefrog » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Well I went, got stuck in traffic on the M25 and was going to miss my pre-booked ferry only to find next one with space meant I go to the auction an hour after the slots finished. Still what a strange quaint place the Isle of Wight is.......

Feels odd going back with empty van......wonder if anyone needs stuff taken across the water !PUZZLED!

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:39 pm

Wish I'd known you were over there, I would have bid. :#:

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Whoever said one should view were right..... some are rougher than others.... the R&W What's My Line has a completely rotten case.., the Beromat B, is half a machine, the War Eagle looks like a repro to me, castings rough and later case....etc. etc.....
The Bolands machine you were interested in (White City) needs a lot of work to the case....
Clubmaster looks OK, obviously a repaint.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Sent you a PM TF. ;-)

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:23 pm

I did respond a while back, but you may have missed.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:26 pm

!THUMBS!

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:28 pm

There is still lot 692, bargain estimate of the day.

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:43 pm

What a long day and never saw much of the Island either.....

All in all the machines were not great, but one or two were good. The Parkers Carousel was nice as was the other Ruffler and Walker machine. Other rogues included the Castle Front which I believe to be a repro casting and cabinet and handle, you can tell how long it is. Also the Greyhound had damage on the top rear casting and no door. Dave, the lot 692 top casting was smashed to pieces :!?!:

Anyway I did buy online two machines, not saying which of course, but as I was late had to bid blind and with the extra 3%. When I went to pay an irate woman told me in no uncertain words to go away and come back tomorrow......aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh. I cannot come back tomorrow I have paid a fortune in ferry fees, driven 240 miles and want to go home...... company policy they have to wait for the invoice from the system.... Anyway, after waiting till everything finished, I pleaded with the auctioneer, who finally saw sense and sorted it. Also managed to help take someone else's lots with me to save them the hassle....

Now I get to the ferry terminal..... guy gets out a measuring stick and looks my van up and down and then gives me a red card and tells me to go to the office.... SkEpTiCaL This does not look good.... go in and am told my van is longer than 5m and the next class up. Seems I was out by 44cm.... so I acted dumb and explained I did not realise and that I had come across without any query.... Now comes the bad news, the additional cost is £150 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can this day get worse..... I managed to produce a tear or two and he finally felt sorry for me on the basis I had passed onto his island without challenge...... !SAINT! Now I am in heaven....

Answer is, stay at home and forget coming to this island, it could be an expensive decision... !SMARTY!

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:01 pm

bloody hell tom what a nightmare, hope the machines were worth it in the end !THUMBS!

rol-a-top

Postby rol-a-top » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:24 am

Is anybody still planning a trip to collect any machines from mainland? I live in London and managed to win one of the machines...