Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coppinpr

Win an Aero

Postby coppinpr » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:23 pm

I was interested in this machine but it sold for £420!! Seemed a bit too high to me with all that work needed :shock:
aero.jpg

highfield

Re: Win an Aero

Postby highfield » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:44 pm

I agree, was going to bid as it looked a decent project with a decent amount of work. But at that price, too high.

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:51 pm

I don't think it was that badly priced, all it wants is a new cabinet and some metal polished up, couple of days work ?

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Unless your name is "Me" in which case you do the interesting bits and then lose interest and stack it with all the other partially completed projects behind the clock on the mantle piece. :!?!:

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:36 am

I suppose it depends how you cost 'a couple of days work', plus sourcing and purchasing suitably aged and seasoned oak to make the substantial R&W style cabinet complete with fluting and moulded top and base... and, assuming the mech's complete, you still need to find and purchase two pairs of R&W style hinges to hang it. And of course, the time and cost of collecting the item should be part of the calculation. A labour of love I'd say - worth doing if you have your heart set on it, but not if you aim to make a profit in the next auction. ;-)

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:32 pm

It did have a case, allbeit a poor one with the back missing. It was the working parts that put me off in the end, all were corroded or rusty. Definitely more than a couple of days work. The playfield did look good considering the basic condition.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:35 pm

You're not calling those four pieces of low-grade ply a cabinet. :o Was the original case included?
A rusty mechanism is often the consequence of being without a cabinet for years. Forgot to add - the buyer will also have to source and purchase a Yale lock for the cash door (not cheap these days). This is the trouble with these projects, there's usually unanticipated work and expense.

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:52 pm

pennymachines wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:36 am
I suppose it depends how you cost 'a couple of days work', plus sourcing and purchasing suitably aged and seasoned oak to make the substantial R&W style cabinet complete with fluting and moulded top and base... and, assuming the mech's complete, you still need to find and purchase two pairs of R&W style hinges to hang it. And of course, the time and cost of collecting the item should be part of the calculation. A labour of love I'd say - worth doing if you have your heart set on it, but not if you aim to make a profit in the next auction. ;-)
Couple of days work is having a few hours at night, I may have exaggerated slightly on the couple of days, maybe 3 tops 4 at 4 to 5 hours a day.
Oak is easy to come by even if it's new and made to look old it's still going to be better than that plywood.
Hinges are easily made if you got a lathe :)
Rusty mech as coppin said, couple of hours in sandblaster and sorted.
Alloy parts polished.
Only thing that would make it more than the time I stated would be waiting on the hammer cover coming back from the chromer.
I don't count my time as money as I love doing it so even selling at 500 to me would be a profit !THUMBS!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:57 pm

widget2k4 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:52 pm
I don't count my time as money as I love doing it...
Aha - well that's what I mean by 'labour of love'. So, did you purchase it? Don't feel obliged to answer that. !SMILER!

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:00 pm

No not me mate, I never even seen it :#: