EH / Collector Connector sales

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
aristomatic

Re: Elephant House Auctions

Post by aristomatic »

EH results are on their site now
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well those Jennings all sold and were good original condition at bargain prices, the lowest seen for a while. Kept stopping myself bidding as have too many already. In fact most of the machines sold

In terms of Rol a Tops, I have watched these on ebay US and private sales do not achieve the value stated earlier, in fact less than half. These people expecting silly money are usually dealers and at any time you see them asking crazy prices....As I said to someone else the Rol a Top was mass produced and non uncommon, yes less of them in the UK, but I have yet to see a early converted British version, so all imported for collectors . They seem to have been produced for the French Market and a number come up with Franc denomination. The key here is that they are popular because they have fancy fronts and a big visible escalator, so eye candy appeal and as also mentioned no Roll Royce in terms of quality.... If one wanted the eye candy appeal funny how Widget has not shifted his one with a broken part for less than a third of the price, maybe more auction fever as usual
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

looks to be an early converted British version
Attachments
KIF_1558.jpg
bandito

Post by bandito »

I Have to disagree with you slotsoffun. The rolatop is not a rare machine. Also 9000 for a rolator? Try looking a bit harder. Here is a picture for a rolator vendor front for less than £3500. Take a look yourself at slots of Montana. Also not only did the EH rolatop have missing vendor bits and bobs it was badly damaged. The black paint along the top of the vendor front was hiding the repair done to the broken case. Not just a chip but a 5 inch smashed in jobby. Have posted pictures. So in my opinion it will never be possible to restore the EH rolatop to a high standard without spending a heck of a lot more money on it!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I agree, was surprised to the see the term "rare" along with Rolatop. Of course there are some rare variations, but I've seen a lot of them over the years. Any machine you can find multiples of for sale at any given moment over the last 40 years does not constitute rarity in my book! The complete output of Oliver Whales must be far rarer than surviving Rolatops!? Nearly 20 years ago when I was restoring my first example I dealt with Larry DeBaugh who used to be the main Watling guy, and he claimed to have well over 100 of them in stock. Found mine locally but was imported from France on 25 Centime and then converted to operate in Aust on 1 Shilling.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Hi everybody, I'm new here on the forum but following this topic for a while. I was reading that there was some doubt if the Jennings machines where sold last auction. I can tell you that the Jennings Eldorado did come my way and I'm very happy with it! I'm new with the hobby and have a lot to learn with two machines which will need some little work and cleaning on the mech. I think in the nearby future I will need advice and will post a new topic. Does anybody now that the Eldorado original have lights in the top? Mine don't have it.
Greetings dutchboy.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: Dutchboy! Great to have you here and I'm glad your first purchases have been successful. It certainly looks like a nice example and I think you picked the right time to buy. I don't remember there being so many Jennings bandits for sale before. It's been a buyer's market for them this year.
203.jpg

raj

Post by raj »

nice Governor Dutchboy. Yes, it would have had 2 light tubes at one time, with a ballast and starter mounted on a board. Any operator these days would not use them due to the age of the components and the difficulty in getting a PAT certificate. The main problem with 240v is getting a sound earth continuity throughout every metal part, so I always dump the originals and either make up low voltage LED strips or do without.
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

That's the one pennymachines! Raj, the led's could be an option. I think with light it would look great. My other machine is an poinsettia i bought earlier this year from eh. This machine has some cutting in the coinentry and ascalator etc. I will be back later with a topic about that. First i clean a lot of dust, grease,oil and rust inside the eldorado !!DIG!! Thanks
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

When you need shipping containers to home your collection talk to Treefrog.
He's the pioneer in that initiative. !THUMBS!
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

So, did anybody go? There was some interesting stuff. What did the double Olly Whales fortune teller make? Any results?
raj

Post by raj »

Mmm, a waste of a day in my opinion. Too many lots, mostly not slot orientated at all, cold, Steve's computer or printer packed in just as the pay in queue started. Too many people desperate to come home with something pushed prices up. I looked over the Bryans offerings and most had been robbed of parts, so I gave up and came home with a few spares and an excellent, but expensive, repro allwin.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well Raj, I guess you have said everything you already knew before you left, e.g. less machines as per vendor, wrap up warm and going to the last auction before Xmas....
Last year's December auction also fetched high prices, happens at a lot of auctions. Also dealers are stocking up before spring.

I still didn't wrap up warm enough.... The one machine I was interested in, but found one of our other members really wanted one, so thought I would not be greedy, was the Aristocrat Clubmaster, but at £680 no way, plus commission... That fairground striker was lovely though, had to be at 4.5k.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

daveslot wrote:What did the double Olly Whales fortune teller make? Any results?
£600, I believe. If time allows, I'll upload full pics and results before Christmas. Likewise Coventry results.
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Not sure why some people moan about not enough slots or too many lots... it's not like you go there blind, they put a list of all lots well before the auction. Yes it was lacking slots, but there again so was Coventry, just one of those things. The events are well attended, not just by collectors but many "general public" just after an old machine for nostalgic purposes.
I'm sure Steve (or someone who knows him) reads these, all I would ask is... good customer service is a key to any successful business. It would be so nice when people go to the counter to pay that you just look up and acknowledge there presence and just say "sorry I'm busy at the moment but will be with you as soon as I can", having queued up behind two other couples, they were totally ignored for almost 10 mins.. just a courtesy acknowledgement would go a long way.. I do understand that you have a busy time but not to even look up and acknowledge them, came across as rude.
However, both Coventry and Elephant House are both excellent and hope they thrive again next year!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

what I don't understand is why if you leave a commission bid, ( in other words the very most you're prepared to pay), why bidding starts at that figure
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

you have got to be very very brave to leave a commission at any auction....... there is a very thin line with brave and stupid...
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

An interesting fact an auctioneer told me is that if a commission bid is left by telephone, even card details given by debit card, without the card holder being present, (and no pin number entered) then the auction house cannot either hold the bidder from pulling out OR if having released the goods to the buyer risks the money later being refunded to the buyer by the card company
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

By the time the auction had started the cast iron viewer had one of its cast door hinges snapped off and was hanging by the remaining hinge and the chain attached to it . By the end of the auction I noticed the whole door was off and laid next to the machine, it's amazing how little respect some people have to others property and how many people who have no intention of bidding on an item still want to fiddle things and cause damage.
Not my machine , but I would've been annoyed if it had been