EH / Collector Connector sales

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
clubconsoles

Re: Elephant House Auctions

Post by clubconsoles »

moonriver wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:53 am What a difference a day makes, Morphys were previously offering a $100 voucher per person if you attended the auction in person because most of the US collectors think Morphys made a big mistake relocating their coin-op out of Vegas anyway and attendance was way down, even before the current crisis.
Oh yes, they did make a mistake. Last couple of years I have made it a holiday and even bought a few items!
Many US collectors feel the same as I do. Their Denver location is a nightmare to fly into from Europe, even without the Virus. :( :( :(
brianh

Post by brianh »

I'm sure many of you will have received Steve Hunt's email letting us know that his mum Gloria, the Elephant House auctioneer, sadly passed away last August and that his dad also now has cancer. Those of us who attended the auctions will remember her with affection and admire her courage in carrying on auctioneering despite her serious illness. My thoughts are with Steve.
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

Sad news, will miss her humorous auctioneering :( Best wishes to Steve and Dad X
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

chris roadhog wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:15 am Sad news, will miss her humorous auctioneering :( Best wishes to Steve and Dad X
Quite agree - Gloria was always entertaining and a cheerful lady. Her presence will be missed, but plenty of memories amongst many of us.
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

Such sad news have known Gloria for more than 25 years a lovely lady, not only as an auctioneer also as barmaid on the ill-fated pier, dinner companion with Steve and on many visits to her house for tea. Will so greatly missed.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes very sad and will be missed by many of us, the life and soul of the house :!?!: ........

Was interested to read Steve’s plan on buying and selling items through known previous sales and potential matches on people who maybe willing to let go of wanted items. One of the biggest challenges at this very precise time is inability to get out and drive anywhere to collect or view items and all the risks around blind bidding and paying high courier costs.. We will see on the new idea and how it goes and maybe be a good alternative for hunting down a specific item. I still feel we all like the world of auctions as well where you get to either sell many items to a wide audience or buy and see many items in a single sale. I miss making a trip out even if for a catch up with people....

Looking forward to any kind of release to the normal world of collecting
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

sad news indeed..she will be missed for sure.
Steve is not everyone's cup of tea to be sure but it can't be denied he's had a disastrous couple of years, let's not forget he fell from the EH roof and nearly did for himself plus hasn't been able to run an auction for over a year as well as all his other nightmares, condolences on his loss and best wishes for a brighter future
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Must admit, Steve's not been my favorite person over the years, but you do have to feel for him. To lose his Mum & then his Dad getting ill too, on top of the shite year that everyone's had must be horrible.
Always remember Gloria from Steve's Huntingdon auctions, always with a glass of whisky next to her!
RIP Gloria.
coppinpr

Elephant house "collector to collector"

Post by coppinpr »

Post merged - Site Admin.

I suspect like many others I received an email from EH today outlining Steve's "collector to collector" online selling system. I have to admit I rather like the idea, the mock up page on show is very comprehensive giving lots of info including a graph of average prices for that machine over the last few years, No costs to use the proposed web site that I can see, but as long as he doesn't expect to make the same % as at the auctions and prices are fair I think it might be a good thing, I'm not sure of the legal position of offering machines for sale in this mode.
brianh

Post by brianh »

You've probably had the email today from Steve but if not, it points to a basic draft of his proposed website
URL+REMOVED+BY+SITE+ADMIN# ... on=example
Looks to me like it will be a sort of cross between the Pennymachines Market and eBay but I'm not clear how it would work. Either way Steve makes no mention of any future physical auctions, which I, for one, really miss, (no substitute for being able to compare, feel, and play with the machines in person) so it would be down to the Coventry auctions to hopefully fly the flag |/XX\|
brianh

Post by brianh »

(Sorry coppinpr, didn't see your post!)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The FAQ make interesting reading, especially the one "Will I be able to physically view the items that are for sale?" Which in itself raises more questions than it answers.
However the most obvious Frequently Asked Question "Fees?" That's not there. And "What if I sell my machine privately after having left it with you for some weeks? Are you expecting me to pay you to get it back?"

BP !PUZZLED!
cait001

Post by cait001 »

here's to hoping it will have a wider reach? I have posted ads on this site but I don't think they get many eyeballs.

Maybe he'll start talking about IRL auctions more once the vaccinations are more widespread
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Is the idea like a sealed bid auction? As I seller you want top money as I buyer you want a good deal. No one wants to pay retail prices unless you are desperate for a particular machine. Some kind of selling is better than none until live auctions can return.....
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

brianh wrote:so it would be down to the Coventry auctions to hopefully fly the flag |/XX\|
and that will certainly be a welcome day when it arrives !!THUMBSX2!!
brianh

Post by brianh »

Just trying to get my head around Steve's latest project he announced yesterday:
URL+REMOVED+BY+SITE+ADMIN#
Looks interesting as you can still touch before you buy but I still prefer the buzz and competition of a live auction
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

when it first came out I liked the look of it,now Im not so sure. One thing is for sure though,we will know when its about to start...machines will start getting removed from Ebay again :lol:
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

coppinpr wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:54 pm machines will start getting removed from Ebay again :lol:
Are you suggesting there’s been some sort of skullduggery in the past ?
scorpa163

Post by scorpa163 »

Although I have bought machines from Steve when he ran at Huntingdon racecourse and also at the Elephant house, I would find it impossible to sell as HE never answers his emails or phone !
Once tried to sell a very collectible pinball (£1500 to £2000 ) with him and gave up, put it on eBay.
Also if your machine is at the elephant house, for people to inspect and buy, for several weeks, IS IT INSURED?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Are you suggesting there’s been some sort of skullduggery in the past ?
skullduggery ! Steve Hunt! the very thought :!?!: