EH / Collector Connector sales

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
aristomatic

Re: Elephant House Auctions

Post by aristomatic »

badpenny wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:48 pm Coventry auction starts at 12.30
Thx BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Adding a note, this year the Coventry thread is very short with little discussion or updates compared to previous years. Used to go on for many pages.... perhaps there should be just a single thread like EH has.... It needs to be at the top of the discussion list I suspect.
I was just thinking the same this morning. Never seen the Coventry thread so small. Advertising Coventry seems a big miss to me. Everyone who contacts my penny-arcade site I try to mention the Coventry auction and every single one has never heard of it, but it won't change, everything from the dreadful music to BP's Tee shirt must remain the same (to be fair, I think he only has 2 and he does wear his Sunday best.)
cait001

Post by cait001 »

OK but how much did the stuffed crocodile go for?

I will be curious to see the final price list, if it gets posted. When do they usually put it up?
Lots 256-263 were pintables, wonder if the slower pace of moving through the lots depressed them.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

The crocodile made a very respectable £50! Incidentally the same price as both Bran Tubs (2 in the same lot).
JC

Post by JC »

Strangely, the Bran Tubs apparently sold for £300 at EH a year ago - I wonder what price they'll sell for next time they turn up.
The only main issue with Coventry I suspect is getting wider exposure. I spoke to three people at EH sharing details of the auction a week later who had never heard of it....not sure why as both are on websites etc, I guess EH has built up a reputation now......on that note any updates on Coventry?
Certainly, we have always very much relied on this forum for exposure (and the magazine of course, which doesn't apply anymore). Not really sure why the Coventry thread is placed under Announcements this year - seems likely many have missed it.
Given that we are not an auction house and only hold one auction a year, I don't know what else we could do. Someone recently posted that he couldn't find us on the Internet - given that we're ranked No. 1 on Google, he probably didn't look very hard!
Attachments
Coventry screenshot.png
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:33 am ...this year the Coventry thread is very short with little discussion or updates compared to previous years. Used to go on for many pages...
Much of the Coventry Auction discussion seems to have migrated to this (EH) topic and couldn't easily be disentangled and moved.
treefrog wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:33 amPerhaps there should be just a single thread like EH has...
I always make a point of putting the date into the topic title so that visitors take note of it. I think it might be confusing lumped together with the previous year's Coventry Auction topics, but can certainly do so if BP or JC think it would be helpful.
JC wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:45 pm Not really sure why the Coventry thread is placed under Announcements this year - seems likely many have missed it.
I thought it would be more prominent as an announcement in the Auction Community category, but have now changed it to 'sticky topic' until Sunday, which at least keeps it top of that category.
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

hiflyer wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:02 am In reply to GM. Work it out. I don't think Gloria does have bids on the book. I think it's probably just a way of using a reserve price to push the bids up. Sometimes the book appears to win but the item turns out to be unsold. Steve has all the commission bids but why does he have to control everything that goes on? The admin at the EH auction is just too much for a one man band and a couple of times it was stopped for a break for Steve to catch up. The queue to pay started at about 2pm and by the time I gave up and left at about 4:45 it was stretching to the door. Surely paying a couple of helpers fifty quid or so for a day's work would make the whole thing run more efficiently? The lots I was interested in were near the end of the list. I gave in and went home at lot 235. The last lot was 328 so another couple of hours standing in the cold was not for me. Anyone know what time it finally finished and the last weary payer escaped?
I joined the queue to pay at 3.45 and it never moved for over an hour. Steve was stressed, looked like he was going to pass out at one point and was getting quite arsy with people waiting to pay. Nobody in the queue was happy and it was back to the door when we eventually paid. Bit of a no brainier to just get someone else to help, he obviously can’t do everything himself. I think a few people will have been put off by this. I wanted to bid on later lots but just thought the auction was never going to end. 8pm finish doesn’t surprise me.
bill gates

Post by bill gates »

I wonder how many more commission free auctions the EH will run in the future?? Must be losing a fair amount of money being so generous....
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Results now posted on EH Site
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

looks like the Bran Tubs were the bargain of the day
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Some crazy prices achieved
Attachments
_20181129_211932.JPG
longbobongo

Post by longbobongo »

Jeeeez the price of the cascade.

I would have had the buckleys and a few other machines.

As Jingle you used to say yoh have to put the leg work in to find the machines.

Looked like a great auction Steve. Congratulations !THUMBS!
cait001

Post by cait001 »

Wow, that Strike 'Em for £2,200!
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Nice machine. Wonder what it will be worth in 10 years?
Attachments
_20181130_091941.JPG
brianh

Post by brianh »

URL+REMOVED+BY+SITE+ADMIN#.php

Looks like EH are back with a vengeance :D Could be an interesting start to next year
bryansjim

Post by bryansjim »

Not for me - life too short. :HaHa:
frayle

Post by frayle »

cait001 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:08 am Wow, that Strike 'Em for £2,200!
Yes a serious sum for a 1960s Whales, BUT how many of this particular large allwin were produced, AND how many remain in this untouched condition?
Judging by the commission bids allegedly left, of 1050, 1500 and 1650, at least three people think that the 'Strike 'Em is one rare machine - or not?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Certainly it must be one of the most attractive allwins Oliver Whales produced. The fairground theme's always a favourite and it has the novel bonus of a bell that rings for the top cup. Looking through the Arena records, the same machine sold for £1450 at the Elephant House in 2016. Another sold for £550 at Coventry in 2012 and there was one at Coventry in 2016 which went unsold. The last image (from a Google search) appears to be another example.
Attachments
Elephant House 2016
Elephant House 2016
Coventry 2012
Coventry 2012
Coventry, 2016
Coventry, 2016
strike-em.jpg
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

The Elephant House 2016 is the same machine that sold last month!
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

That is what PM said.