EH / Collector Connector sales

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
brianh

Re: Elephant House Auctions

Post by brianh »

treefrog wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:53 pm ...the R&W Fill Em Up hitting an incredible £1000 !PUZZLED! Very odd I would have been dancing as a seller...
Curiously, treefrog, this is now no longer showing in the results so presume was not sold yet I was there and it definitely hit £1,000 (which was admittedly a mad bid as I had picked up a similar (but better) one at earlier auction for under 600). Being a bit naive with auctions would that mean buyer pulled out? Bit unfair if so, on people who had bid lower. I must admit I'm learning a lot about these auctions, what with this and the very odd Top Hat situation and none of it is good !!GRUMP!! Maybe answer is to go to Coventry one(s) instead. :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I agree, as I said earlier, the lot I bid on sold for £10 over my highest bid but now also shows as not sold, but then this is EH, "expect the unexpected". dirtdog
brigham

Post by brigham »

Those are either 'off-the-wall' bids, or floor bids by the item's owner.
You generally have a fee to pay if you buy your own item!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

brianh wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:23 pm Curiously, treefrog, this is now no longer showing in the results so presume was not sold yet I was there and it definitely hit £1,000...
You may have misunderstood my post. My point was it did not reach reserve, yet it reached a grand... which is crazy, as obviously it had a silly reserve on it... The seller may regret this as it's unlikely to get there a second time round... Auctions can be lotteries.

In terms of other comments, you did not beat reserve. Most auction houses start bidding well below reserve. Floor bids from sellers on their items seems to happen more often than you realise. I have seen it done at Coventry and Elephant when I know the owner of the items and watched them doing it. I sort of understand if you never left a reserve on your item and it is going for a song, you panic and bid it up - worthwhile if you win and not take a big hit. I cannot see this in the rules of a few mainstream auction houses, so it must be accepted as long as you pay commission.

Always seems to be odd suspicion with EH I have never understood... I have sold many times there and my lots never start at the reserve price and the book bids always start below my reserve.

I guess the answer is, turn up at the auction if really keen ;-)
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

treefrog wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:52 amAlways seems to be odd suspicion with EH I have never understood... I have sold many times there and my lots never start at the reserve price and the book bids always start below my
I believe that is considered good practice at auctions. It's aimed at getting floor bids competing against each other on the way up to the reserve in an attempt to tempt the floor bidders to continue on as the reserve is passed rather than crush bidders who MIGHT continue but won't get started if the first bid is the reserve. Coventry also never starts at the reserve of a lot.
brigham

Post by brigham »

I only know motor auctions, but we generally set the first bid from the floor. The auctioneer asks "What have we got", and someone signals a derisory amount (two or three hundred quid, on a book price of a grand).
It leads to quick-fire bidding, and, if it stalls AFTER the reserve is reached, we are told "I'm selling this car". This naturally baffled my junior self, and I had to ask the grown-ups what he meant, seeing as I thought selling it was what he'd been doing all along!
Happy days. I used to go twice a week, but after a couple of years they stopped me going on Wednesdays. I was sent to school instead.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Ha ha yes car auctions are crazy, don’t hang around they don’t, I have bought a few vehicles at them, god knows how, as they are like demons...

Reserves are an odd one and I often wish they did start at them. At least you know whether you're wasting your time or not. Also I don’t believe knowledgeable auctioneers should allow any machine to be listed with silly reserves - wastes their time and ours... I am a natural gambler and either go no reserve or set low ones. Think I took one machine home in last Coventry auction, which had a low reserve.......
bill gates

Post by bill gates »

Some good prices made on bandits at the EH today.

Lot 91. Brooklands racer £2,500
Lot 92. Mills baseball £3,100
Lot 93. Mills FOK vendor front £1,700
Lot 94. Mills Bursting cherry jackpot front £2,700
Lot 96. Mills 4 reel high top £3,300
Lot 101. Aristocrat club master £580
C931B45C-7B62-4ECC-9271-623E4026002D.jpeg

Attachments
C19D8269-18ED-414F-B4D7-3DDD4C23A60D.jpeg
4DCAD554-4B5B-4A9F-81B8-35FA6FD4145E.jpeg
DDB5173D-A209-4338-8990-10503C59ACE4.jpeg
437DD44A-3375-4719-9A2B-8040746CCB86.jpeg
573E36C3-3EF3-4504-941D-22BCD80DF1EB.jpeg
7888F70A-23E5-4BE5-BDA8-C145273DD8FA.jpeg
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Wow £3300 for the four reel Mills. :o Thanks to my dad I was able to buy my first bandit in 1970,a four reel Mills,(for £32) Still got it and would never sell it. God bless you Dad, I miss you.
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

yes they were good prices for quality Bandits, for sure.
I beleive all apart from the Clubmaster went to the same bidder?
Another new collector, not sure??
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

How much did the pussy shooter make?
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Pussy Shooter 1300
merchantman 1050
Solar fortune teller 2700
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

👍Thanks
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Think some of the prices will change as maybe wrong or not hitting reserve. Was surprised by a few machines prices, mainly the few Mills machines and don’t understand why. The Bursting Cherry Melon Bell called Diamond Jackpot for some reason sold for more than examples sell for in the US. Same with some of the other machines. I always use places like Morphys realised price list as a good guide and a few Melon Fronts have sold in recent times including a nice version with side vendor for £1200. Was talking to a few others at the auction that it definitely has become worthwhile buying direct in the states even with plunging pound and transport costs. I remember a good condition Brooklands Racer selling in the same Morphys auction as my Coronet for $1000, I should have bought it.....

The Brooklands racer was the same machine I posted on here 8 years ago where it was supposed to have sold for £1500, even with the damage to the cash tray, which was a shame though and assume it had been dropped. Hardly surprising with the weight.

There were cheap lots though...the Fireworks machines were cheap, the cheaper red one even worked.

Nice to see different machines though.
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

A touch of auction fever sprinkled with a pinch of I've come this far I'm not going home with nothing!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

treefrog wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:19 pm I remember a good condition Brooklands Racer selling in the same Morphys auction as my Coronet for $1000, I should have bought it.....
Tree, I see people say this all the time, except being an auction price you have no way of knowing how high the winning bidder was actually willing to go!? I've made hundreds of bids over the years, mostly losing because I'm a poor-arse, and I think maybe 3 or 4 times I've later been able to meet or become friends with someone who beat me on something and find out how much higher they were willing to go. I've also come across tons of great deals that sold for super bargains that I missed spotting before the auctions. And I've won some of those bargains myself occasionally and almost every time they were well under my possible high bids.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

This is true and I would bet if the same machines went in auction in 12 months they may fetch half the value......happened to be competitors there at the time, think same guy bought all the top lots....

An example of changing prices, the merchantman crane sold in March for £500 more than Sunday.
bill gates

Post by bill gates »

The chap who bought most of the nice slots also bid up the four reel Mills high top. Not seen him before at an auction. Maybe he is on here and would like to introduce himself. 🤔
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

That chap who bought all the Mills is from Dorset, i briefly chatted with him.
the merchantman fetched a low price because the top was broken , so i have been told?